Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am going camping on the Outer Banks this weekend and I'm looking forward to taking my 2011 TRD 4x4 through the paces on the beach. Any tips? Also and importantly, any tips on washing down the truck when I get home? Cheers:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
FJs love the beach. You should have no problems. I haven't had to air down the tires or anything driving down South Padre Island. Matter of fact, the only time I needed 4Lo was to help pull out a 2WD that got stuck. Take a stretchy snatch strap and a shackle in any case. When you get back to the pavement a good rinse should do the trick. I wouldn't actually start washing until you rinse all the salt & sand off first. Where I go they have coin-operated vehicle rinses when you come off the beach that get underneath, too. Might look for one of those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4 wheel drive before you get stuck. If it's a mt lock the diff to disable the electronic stability junk or you'll hear lots of beeps and won't go too fast.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have cruised the beaches of OBX and only used 4 hi (I have an automatic) and I never turned of traction control.

Advice? Here is my .02

1. No spin outs/dig in - take it easy starting/stopping

2. Stay out of the water - saltwater corrodes....even the water behind the dunes.

3. Carry recovery gear, just in case.... (snatch strap/shakles/jack/shovel/etc).

4. Enjoy yourself and the FJ...it is a natural on the sand !!!

Some legal advice :

1. Watch your speed on the beach!! They patrol....

2. If on the beach above Corolla.....keep your distances from the wild horses....there are legal distances that you must maintain between you and them.

Have fun!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Get one of those lawn sprinklers that goes back and forth (not around in circles) and put that in different spots under your rig when you're done on the beach. It does a real nice job. Have fun. ........:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
You could carry some kind of sand ladders, Maxtrax or even just some long strips of carpet can help you out if you get stuck.

Hey, it can happen, I know.

I carry some sand ladders on my rig.

You'll need a Hi-Lift jack (and for deep sand, a base), and a shovel as well.

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Stay out of the salty water. Air down if you can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have taken mine to Corrolla N.C. a few times, Never any issues on the beach running stock BFG AT. But I always bring tow straps/shovel/lift and some wood for the jack, just in case, plus I always hope to get a great shot of me pulling a jeep/H3 etc out. I air down the tires to about 15psi. The biggest pain about cleaning was the skid plates They were filled with sand, they acted just like a shovel since it gets deep in some areas.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Run in 4-Hi and bring a shovel. You almost certainly will not need the shovel, but if you ever do, you will be SO thankful you brought it. It is also a good idea to have a strap and a couple of shackles on hand, but don't skip a trip to the beach if you don't have that yet.

If you want to do some driving in 2wd, turn off the traction control. If you don't have a switch to do that, you can disconnect the plug on the master cylinder to get the same results. When you are ready to leave the beach, turn the truck off, plug the traction control bundle back in, and restart to get everything back to normal.

Top off your windshield washer fluid before you hit the beach.

The sprinkler idea works well, but be ready to keep it under there for a few hours to get the job done. If you get into any really deep stuff, taking the skids off is about the only way to get all the sand and salt out. I still have pieces of shells in my cross member from my first trip the the beach with my FJ in January 2008.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I like to take sum duck tape and cover the square holes in the frame in the wheel wells to keep the sand out of their, but I'm obsessed. Oh and i unplug the stability control and leave in in 4 H or 4HL. Watch out for the stakes in the sand, I put one through my rear bumper one night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, just got back from the Outer Banks mission. When we arrived the weather quickly whipped into a blizzard and I decided to just run on the beach without airing down (freezing!). The FJ ran just dandy all day as we charged through the sand.
Last night the snow kept falling and we woke up to the beaches covered in thick snow. I decided I had to run out and give it a romp and in a braggadocio moment failed to air down. I made it less than a minute and found myself stuck. My FJ dug itself four nice pits and dangled on top of compressed snow that quickly melted and refroze, leaving the truck sitting like a turtle on a fence post. Some chiller OBX locals yanked me out of my predicament leaving me with a smile and a handshake. Not even one comment poking fun at the newb with the Toyota. So all in all, an epic mission!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Post up some pics if you took any... where about in OBX did you go?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts