Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just ordered a new garmin nuvi unit, im thinking I'll either mount it on the windsheild to the top left of the sterring wheel, or to the silver stripe just to the left of it...unless somebody has a better idea. I was wondering if there is a "clean" way to run the stereo jack (i'll be using the MP3) and the power chord to this location to the center console. I dont really want to take apart my dash, but hate to have wires hanging.

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes... there is a clean way to install for about $20 bucks and a small bit of knowledge of electrical power. I'll try to keep this simple for your specific installation.

Location: put it on the widshield next to the driver's side A-pillar

Wires: to get under dash (totally clean), pull the speaker cover (I used the L-shaped portion of an allen wrench through one of the holes and pulled up pretty hard. You can run the wires through the opening where you view the VIN #... with the speaker cover pulled, you'll see how much room you have to keep your wires out of sight.

Power: Use an add-a-circuit to supply power.

Ground: There's a chassis ground to the left of the driver foot well. If you pull the cover, you'll see it.

Now to keep your system virtually wireless, you can use an RF (radio frequency) signal generator. Now, I'm assuming that your Garmin has the option of an RF out? If not, this won't work, and you can run your aux wire to the input on the stereo, but if it does, keep reading.

Using an RF generator is simple. It plugs into the Garmin's RF out, and has a piggy-back plug that goes into the input for the stereo's antenna (might need an adapter). What it does is send the RF signal directly to the stereo (without broadcasting, so there's no effect from local radio stations bleed over or static). You then plug your antenna into the back of the RF generator, and still have full radio functionality. Pick your station to listen to the Garmin, and voila!

The RF generator will need power, but it's not much at all, so you can probably just wire the power from the same add-a-circuit and ground.

The best part about this install is that you don't cut any wires, don't drill any holes, and it takes about 1/2 hour to uninstall whenever you want. Plus, no wires visible except about 2 inches behind your GPS.

This

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just did a little reading and am not sure if my RF method will work for your Nuvi, but you'll have to see when you get it if it has the RF output jack...

If it doesn't no sweat, just run a male-male headphone cord from your nuvi (under the dash) to just under the aux plug by the stereo... (so you'll only see about 1 inch of wire there...

If you want it totally "wireless", you can cut the headphone cable and solder it to the back of the aux input... if you do this, you must be really careful to only use one device at a time... ie... if the GPS is powered on, don't plug your iPod into the jack and send a signal.

good luck.

if you don't know what you're doing, make sure you find a buddy who does, so that you wire everything the right way... To me, this install is pretty straightforward. PM me or email if you have any questions...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts