Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend brought his BA-64b by the house today and I thought some of you motor-heads would like to make a head-to-head comparison between the vehicles.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser – Designation: SCORPION
Made in Japan – Made COOL in America
Engine: 239 HP 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve
Transmission: 5-speed ECT or 6-speed manual
Front Suspension: High Mounted, double-wishbone suspension and stabilizer bar
Rear Suspension: 4 link suspension with lateral rod with coil springs and stabilizer bar.
Steering: Power-assisted variable gear rack-and-pinion
Crew: 5
Max Speed: 120 mph
Armament: Light semi-automatic rifles
Armor: By BudBuilt

1944 BA-64b – Designation: Armored Scout Car 150th Rifle Regiment (Soviet Army)
Made in Russia
Engine: Carburetor GAX-MM 50 HP
Transmission: 3-Speed manual
Front & Rear Suspension: Leaf Springs
Steering: turn hard
Crew: 2
Max Speed 50 mph
Armament: 1x7.62mm DT Machine Gun
Armor:
Hull - front 9mm
Hull – side 7mm
Hull – rear 7mm
Turret – 10 mm

MissUphill in the driver's seat of the BA-64 says that it has less visibility than the FJ - so those of you who didn't think any 4x4 could have worse visibility, take notice!

I've decided that the next modification for the Scorpion will be a turret.

(more photos on the Scorpion Build-Up Thread)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
That is so cool!!!

Your friends have some cool toys to say the least. :D

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expected AIR2AIR to join in the group buy as well so he could match his previous avatar with his current Uber FJ.:cheers:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am surprised that Kalifornia Lawmakers have not outlawed these yet!! Evil Assault Vehicles must be outlawed right along with Evil Assault Rifles!! :jester:

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am surprised that Kalifornia Lawmakers have not outlawed these yet!! Evil Assault Vehicles must be outlawed right along with Evil Assault Rifles!! :jester:
Does that mean that the FJ Cruiser is under threat of being outlawed? Yes, I know that the 4 Runners will be safe...:lol::lol::lol::rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
OK that is cool....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Does that mean that the FJ Cruiser is under threat of being outlawed? Yes, I know that the 4 Runners will be safe...:lol::lol::lol::rofl:
Maybe just yours and Shadow Warrior's will be banned... too many evil features. My 4Runner has a removeable auto-sear in the transmission but otherwise is in stealth mode!:thefinger:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
let me know, i got a friend in the turret business, get you a great deal

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided that an FJ without a turret is too common.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Larry, it looks a lot like the Ferret armoured car used by the British army in Northern Ireland when we were both there. I've got some scanned slides of those I can post when I get back home (in Colorado this week and Utah the next). I wonder if the Soviets copied it (like they did Fiat cars, BMW bikes, and etc.).

Great minds... I mentioned the very thing to him, but the BA-64 was built long before the Ferret. The Russians constructed a small armored car on GAZ-67 chassis (Russian Jeep) and later on the chassis of American Willy's Jeeps that were sent to them in lend-lease.

The Ferret is a far more capable vehicle than the BA-64 but you have to give the Russians credit with making an "armored 4x4 Jeep" that worked as a scout car. They made a lot of them and the only country where they are still in service is Myanmar. Strip a jeep, bolt on a welded metal carapace and you have a BA-64.

The Daimler Dingo was the British answer to the armored scout car in WW2 (contemporary of the BA-64)

Ferret

BRDM-2 (Soviet Army contemporary of the UK's Ferret)

Fox (UK) - an evolved Ferret

It's interesting how vehicles evolve. Same with FJ40 to the FJ Cruiser of today.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Great find!!!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Aw, man, I'd love to have a Fox...

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Now, the important question... Where do I get them' tires ! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
those things are tiny...been in BRDM and MTLB as well as SA-13 and those things are tiny...have to be mongolian midget to have any extra room in them. Not to mention not airconditioned and absorb every bit of heat from son....

still fun to drive....sand or mud even if a little top heavy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts