Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having any rust issues. I have an 07 sun fusion and I'm already getting surface rust in some unusual places.

Let me know I hope I'm not the only one.:mecry::mecry:

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Funny, when I took my FJ in for its first service all of the mechanics thought it came here from Hawaii because of all of the rust to the exhaust system!

·
fka Tonka Truck
158 Posts
LOTS of rust issues. Ever since the 96-04 Tacoma, Toyota has cut corners on their frames. Even issued a frame recall on that model. Unfortunately for some unlucky FJ driver, it's just a matter of time before this becomes a major suit. How Toyota can afford to not learn from past mistakes is what I don't understand. Toyota, synonymous with quality... until recently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LOTS of rust issues. Ever since the 96-04 Tacoma, Toyota has cut corners on their frames. Even issued a frame recall on that model. Unfortunately for some unlucky FJ driver, it's just a matter of time before this becomes a major suit. How Toyota can afford to not learn from past mistakes is what I don't understand. Toyota, synonymous with quality... until recently.
Last I recall Dana Corporation made the frames of those Tacoma's not Toyota.

Can't say who makes them for the FJ's though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you got rust spots on the paint, chances are its metal particles on top of the paint rusting with water. It was mentioned on here in another post, and can be removed with a clay bar. But it is very time consuming to get it all off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is sort of irrelevant who makes the frames for Toyota. It is still their responsibility because it's their name is on the truck.

No and yes.

It is relevant because people go off and blame Toyota for the lack of quality control on "their" frames.

Yes, it is Toyota's responsibility to address the issue.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
From the consumer's perspective, it is TOTALLY irrelevant who produces/produced the frames. The vehicle is a Toyota and if we have frame rust it is not as though we are going to go complain to Dana, or in the FJ's case, probably HINO.

If I have another company build the boxes for a custom kitchen, which I mount doors and drawer fronts on, and then they fall off the wall . . . it is my responsibility to verify and ensure the quality of whatever material/components go into my product before it gets to the customer and it's my responsibility to fix or "make right" any issues that come about down the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, lets get into a pissing match about personal opinions.

Yes it is on Toyota's shoulders to address and try to resolve the issue regardless of WHO made the frame or component.

My PERSONAL feelings are consumers need to be more educated about the product they are buying. I do not like it when people badmouth a company without having all the facts about the companies product. Again personal opinion.

·
fka Tonka Truck
158 Posts
My PERSONAL feelings are consumers need to be more educated about the product they are buying. I do not like it when people badmouth a company without having all the facts about the companies product. Again personal opinion.

"Last I recall Dana Corporation made the frames of those Tacoma's not Toyota.

Can't say who makes them for the FJ's though."

One can infer from your OWN statements that you do not own an FJ nor have any interest in purchasing one in the future... yet you are on an FJ board blessing us with your opinion. Gimme a break. I have an opinion of people like you that I care not to share.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
If you live in an area where they liberally dump salt on the roads for ice control, doesn't matter what you drive, it WILL rust. Plenty of 5-10 year old vehicles up here with heavy rust

When I got my FJ, I applied Fluid Film. Here is how the frame area looked a year later, after a winter of heavy salt use

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
That really looks good Jayman and is a testament to the Fluid Film. My FJ didn't look that good when it was brand new. :mecry:

Tonka Truck, I was debating a reply to Kilted Chicken but determined that my time was better spent ignoring this offensive poster. :lol:

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you live in an area where they liberally dump salt on the roads for ice control, doesn't matter what you drive, it WILL rust. Plenty of 5-10 year old vehicles up here with heavy rust

When I got my FJ, I applied Fluid Film. Here is how the frame area looked a year later, after a winter of heavy salt use

Thanks for this I had never heard of this and living in Utah (the salt capitol of the world) we are also predisposed to rust. I get underneath and paint all the time. This seams like a better option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Last I recall Dana Corporation made the frames of those Tacoma's not Toyota.

Can't say who makes them for the FJ's though."

One can infer from your OWN statements that you do not own an FJ nor have any interest in purchasing one in the future... yet you are on an FJ board blessing us with your opinion. Gimme a break. I have an opinion of people like you that I care not to share.
Actually I do own one.

I knew about the windshield issue, I knew about the ring and pinion issue, however did not know about the fender bulge problem until later.

The one on the right.

·
fka Tonka Truck
158 Posts
Actually I do own one.

I knew about the windshield issue, I knew about the ring and pinion issue, however did not know about the fender bulge problem until later.

The one on the right.
So then you're a hypocrite for not knowing who makes our frames. Thanks for walking into that one.

·
fka Tonka Truck
158 Posts
Tonka Truck, I was debating a reply to Kilted Chicken but determined that my time was better spent ignoring this offensive poster. :lol:
It's entertainment. It's funny when a guy lets his ego speak for him. Here's a suggestion for Kilted... Think first, then post. It tends to work out better that way.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
LOL, thinking that I could just imagine the fun times if we had to warranty each and every component with it's specific manufacturer of origin.

Just the radio could take 500 claims based on what boards were in it and where each part on that board was made.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Just seeing Jayman's underbelly with no rust is amazing with the salted roads he drives thru. I live in a area surrounded by the salty sea's but I never drive in saltwater, must be the air or something. I may have to get busy and steam clean with a solvent and repaint soon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts