Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,270 Posts
I agree I will never ever ever ever purchase another car from TOYOTA. My FJ Cruiser was purchased brand new in 2007 and has only 25,000 miles and is rusting away under neath. Its a shame they don't recall these rust buckets. I hope with enough complaints their sales will eventually drop to nothing until they recall these rust buckets and fix the problem.
So is your FJ garaged or standing out? mileage is low so suggests it stands around... much more likely to rust than if it were used regularly unless it is stored in a heated garage. I don't see the rust on Toyota being any different to other vehicles, unless you want to compare it to a Land Rover Defender of course which comes out of the factory rusting... Rust is the oxidation of steel accentuated by the presence of moisture, it's not something Toyota or any steel maker 'build in'.

·
Vendor
1,375 Posts
I just want to chime in and say IMO this has nothing to do with HINO in Hamura. I was shopping for a 2nd truck, looked at many 2010+ 5th gen 4Runner which I understand isn't made there and they look just as bad on the frame. I think it's just a Toyota frame thing, the uni-body stuff doesn't look like this. My wife has a 2012 Venza with 180K miles and the bottom looks brand new and it sits on the ground. Same for my fathers older Camry looks brand new.

2010+ Wiki 4Runner
Production 31 August 2009–present
Model years 2010–present
Assembly Japan: Tahara, Aichi (Tahara plant)[17]
Designer Koichi Suga (2007)[18]

*No Hamura i.e. Hino

Anyway...

I actually hesitated on the purchase because it looked like the FJ all over again from the bottom side. I didn't want another 3x a year project getting under another vehicle trying to maintain the frame like the FJ. Anyway, my 2 cents. If I lived in a dry climate, sure I'd pick up a 5th gen 4Runner in a heartbeat, the FJ's in these climates also look great.

Here is a Facebook page a friend started pursuing a recall, sorry if it has already been posted, just sharing while I had a second.

RUST RECALL PAGE >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/632711680558455/

·
Desert Moderator
6,076 Posts
I agree I will never ever ever ever purchase another car from TOYOTA. My FJ Cruiser was purchased brand new in 2007 and has only 25,000 miles and is rusting away under neath. Its a shame they don't recall these rust buckets. I hope with enough complaints their sales will eventually drop to nothing until they recall these rust buckets and fix the problem.
Yeah - after your eloquent post, I don't think Toyota will ever sell another new FJC in the entirety of North America...

41 - 43 of 43 Posts