Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed rust forming on my Trail-Gear rock slider. I have never taken the rig off-roading so I know it can't be a rock hitting the slider. The rust spot looks like an incomplete weld to me. It is on the passenger side rear part of the slider.

I tried to email Trail-Gear but their customer service is extremely slow.

Here are some pics I took. What do you guys think?

With flash

Without flash

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Their powder coating sucks! I have a much worse case of rust than that. Mine is at least a 2" by 2" chunk that peeled off. I'm not very happy. .....:mecry:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I put this in their sub-forum so they can address the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
It might be simpler and quicker to get and small wire brush, a pint of Rustoleum satin black and a small model painters brush. Then just touch it up.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to get turned off by powder coating in general.... seriously what's the point anymore?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
They used to put it on thick and it was a true coating. Now, it seems like it is just thick enough for color.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'll try the scrub and Rustoleum thing this weekend. If the weld is incomplete, the rust will form inside already right?
If you find a hole then sand or wire brush the spot clean and then put a dab of silicone, body filler or even JB weld in the hole before painting it. I am hoping it is just surface rust though. As long as it is dry before you fill the hole I would not worry about interior rust.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I just noticed rust forming on my Trail-Gear rock slider. I have never taken the rig off-roading so I know it can't be a rock hitting the slider. The rust spot looks like an incomplete weld to me. It is on the passenger side rear part of the slider.

I tried to email Trail-Gear but their customer service is extremely slow.

Here are some pics I took. What do you guys think?

With flash

Without flash
:lol: you should see mine! TG powder coating sucks. Mine was peeling off in sheets upon install.
Now where the big dent is I'd expect some rust, but as you can see there is rust in other areas as well. These have been painted about three times now.

029 by cnckart, on Flickr

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to get turned off by powder coating in general.... seriously what's the point anymore?
x2 I'm going to end up rattle canning it anyways, if it's an option I always get my stuff bare.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think powder coating is a bad idea for anything that stands to see contact. Once it gets chipped that is an entry for moisture between the coating and metal and expedites corrosion beneath the coating without it being apparent. Bad powdering doesn't help, but it is somewhat the nature of the beast even if you stay on top of it w/ paint touchup.

Also, from the location I'd say it was an incomplete weld that left a divet the coating didn't get into.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have been saying this for years, and people look at me like I am from Mars.

Powder coat, DONE RIGHT, has it's place. I simply do not think items that make contact with rocks and trees is that place. Doing powder coat right is much like a quality paint job, the prep is where the major difference is.

It also acts similar to old style undercoating, once the seal is broken and moisture gets under it, it is the beginning of the end.

You'll have a hard time convincing many against powder coat as it is the current "cool" way to get a finish on metal.

The above is OPINION

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I have been saying this for years, and people look at me like I am from Mars.

Powder coat, DONE RIGHT, has it's place. I simply do not think items that make contact with rocks and trees is that place. Doing powder coat right is much like a quality paint job, the prep is where the major difference is.

It also acts similar to old style undercoating, once the seal is broken and moisture gets under it, it is the beginning of the end.

You'll have a hard time convincing many against powder coat as it is the current "cool" way to get a finish on metal.

The above is OPINION
The last few options I've had the chance to buy items raw I have. Our bumper was raw, we rattle canned it, and it's lasted for quite sometime now :cheers:

·
Registered
322 Posts
My TG sliders are holding up very well except from the spots that "touched" some rocks. My friend is having a problem very like the one posted in this thread. Makes me wonder what changed in the six months between our orders.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Mine rusted horribly...within months! I took them to Line-X...cost me $100...but dont have to worry about a thing now!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine Rusted in the first couple of months as well. I ahve been considering removing them and having them sprayed with Line-x. For the record my sliders have never touched rocks and the rust is where my foot goes when I step on them.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Line-x is a bad idea, others have tried but it peels off in sheets if you hit a rock or happen to slide on your sliders.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had to repaint mine even before installed them. They have a few chips on them now,
so i will just touch them up this spring with some Krylon.
No big deal to me.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had to repaint mine even before installed them. They have a few chips on them now,
so i will just touch them up this spring with some Krylon.
No big deal to me.

KyFJGuy
Will Krylon even hold up to the wear and abuse? I'm just talking about stepping on the sliders.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts