Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time posting, this forum has been really helpful.
I recently bought a 2010 FJ and I am very excited to work on it and I will need your help on this journey.

I live in New Jersey and rust is a big problem here.
I'm looking to remove rust and prevent it.
Please suggest a product or method that will help me.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have had good luck with Fluid Film. You can spray it over existing surface rust and it will prevent further oxidization (rust). Just do a quick wire brush to get the loose stuff off. There are several threads about this here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got Corroseal (available on amazon) to address the rust on mine, it goes on with a brush and cleans up with water. You don't need to paint over it. But any kind of rust converter will work and stop rust.

I also got EastWood's inner frame coating which is a sprayable rust converter meant to saturate the inside of the frame, stop the rust and protect it with a zinc coating when it cures.

A needle scaler is very good recommendation. I've been using a welding hammer to remove the surface rust that built up under the undercoating on mine.

·
12,260 Posts
Welcome!

The SEARCH is your friend or Google Rust FJ Cruiser Forums and it'll bring numerous results and right back here to those threads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My frame was in really good condition. I passed on few purchases..including a 2014 UTTE because of rust. I ended up cleaning the frame and spraying it with Cosmoline RP 342. Search for that on Youtube. You'll find plenty of info.
I'm satisfied with the results
IMG_8503.jpeg
IMG_8503.jpeg

·
Registered
65 Posts
My frame was in really good condition. I passed on few purchases..including a 2014 UTTE because of rust. I ended up cleaning the frame and spraying it with Cosmoline RP 342. Search for that on Youtube. You'll find plenty of info.
I'm satisfied with the results
Cosmoline??? Now you'll need to bake it in an oven before you can shoot it! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts