Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say that I'm guessing this problem is a one-off, but I figured that I should see if anyone else has had a similar problem. My rig is a 2007, so this might also have something to do with age...

Ever since I purchased my truck in 2009, it always had a small bump on the passenger-side door not far below the handle. I always assumed it was a defect in the paint and didn't give it much thought - until today. I noticed that the bump had grown and two additional small ones had also appeared.

They were all still rather small, but I decided I should find out what might be causing them as they now looked like surface rust under the paint. I pulled apart the door interior and found the problem. I'm guessing that everyone has this pad glued to the inside of their front doors? It is pretty solid and appears nearly impossible to remove. On the top edge of mine, however, a hole in the sealant had allowed water (from the door handle or window?) to enter between the pad and the door exterior and start a nice rust pocket back there. The black paint you see at the top is the POR15 I pipped down the hole in hopes of stopping additional rust, but you can see some rust-colored streaks running down the front of the pad.

So, has anyone else had a similar problem? Without really getting in there and sanding off the pad, I had to settle for the POR15 solution, but I doubt this will be the end of it. Since I'm in Cambodia now and likely the only FJ for hundreds (thousands?) of miles, I won't be switching out doors from a junker. Assuming that no one else has had a similar problem, has anyone tried to remove that door pad?

Thanks for reading through this, and for any advice you can share!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No advice for you, other than take it to a body shop. I just wanted to chime in and say thats a great last pic. What is the building in the background?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
well I guess after 64 views and only one response, I'm taking it not many have had this issue. I've never heard of it personally. I think I'd be safe to say it's a unique problems :(

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I recall a warranty that specifically addressed cases of rusting through panels. I don't recall details but it seems to me the warranty was for a really long time. Maybe check your documentation to see if it says anything.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
did you do a car-fax when you bought it? did it have any previous wrecks? just looking t the close up of the paint seemed to me that it had been repainted. Just an observation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the tardy reply - I'm about 12 hours off over here.

I assumed that if it had been a problem for anyone else, someone would have posted about it by now. The warranty information is good to know for anyone who has not already departed the good ole US of A, but for a fool like me who didn't get it fixed before heading overseas, well...

Through another helpful forum member with some extra carfax reports available, I did find out that the truck had been in an accident previously, so it may be connected to what is going on with the door. In which case, I guess warranty work would be off the table anyhow.

As for the last photo, I believe that was the northern gate to Angkor Thom in Siem Reap. Let me know if you decide to visit Cambodia in the next year and a half. I may not have a passenger door, but I'll be here!

·
Registered
354 Posts
When I bought my 2008 FJ used in Oct 2010 I had the same issue on the passenger side door. I had the dealer promise in writing to fix the issue before I agreed to the deal. The dealer tried to back out of the repair after I took posession of the FJ but after threatening to walk-out with my money they called in Toyota and got them to pay to repaint the door.

I didn't take any photos of the bubbles but they looked exactly like the ones in your photo on my 2008 with 50k miles.

My carfax report showed no previous accidents so I'm thinking water must have gotten in behind the door handle and dripped down behind that pad piece and caused the rust.

·
Registered
614 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts