Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I drive in a very humid environment all year long. I just noticed this rust on my new 07 FJ after I washed it. (Of note, all rust came off after waxed). I was planning on sanding the source down with fine paper/sanding pen -> self etching primer -> silver paint pen ->clear coat. Am I doing anything wrong?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,854 Posts
Prime it with a rust killer like Rustoleum rust reformer then touch up. After you’re ready to install the rubber just touch it a bit with a rust preventative like fluid film then install the rubber molding.

this is the process I used after finding copious amounts of corrosion from an ill fated margarita salt spill left to fester for a few months. 😋

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,854 Posts
Reflection was total accident. Of note, this is the rear passenger window. There is no rubber molding but I think I get the idea. Fluid film is a great idea, Thanks!
Really? I’m pretty sure there’s supposed to be some kind of molding but maybe somebody else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Is that after market glass or Toyota glass . Glass shops have a tendency to gouge paint there when replacing window

·
A-Team Moderator
9,546 Posts
Aloha, There's no exterior visible weather stripping on the rear corner curved glass.

New to you '07 ? The paint there appears to have been touched up before?

shaka Maui

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aloha, There's no exterior visible weather stripping on the rear corner curved glass.

New to you '07 ? The paint there appears to have been touched up before?

shaka Maui
Yep! New to me. Not sure about the paint

·
Premium Member
11,942 Posts
Looks like their is quite a bit of bubbling going on. I would find a glass shop and have them remove the rear glass, fix the rust and bubbles properly then reinstall the glass.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed it looks to have been touched up before, and unfortunately there’s rust underneath. Best to do the repair right as recommended by others and your original thinking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts