Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm trying the Rustoleum rust reformer stuff as well after getting back from a week on the beach in Corolla, Outer Banks. After a thorough power washing of the undercarriage and engine, I hit some of the more rusty spots with a wire wheel to knock off some of the loose surface rust, then sprayed multiple coats several minutes apart. Only complaint is that those cans don't go very far under an FJ. I blew through two, now having to head back to store form more after finishing some electronics upgrades.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Anyone tried using rustoleum sprayed in their under carriage?

Every spring... After doing this for a few years I hardly need to now really other than making it look good. Just wire wheel or brush off the flaky loose stuff, and be generous with it your first few times. This coming year I am going to do the inside with Eastwood's stuff..

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Ziebart is still the way to go , for 200.00 they do the undercoating then for 39.95 they touch it up every year

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe the FJs have the same problem with the frames as the Sequoia, Cheaply made with cheap meatal which they replaced the frames on, To many people including myself can not believe how much rust is on a vehicle just a few years old, To many problems with the metal on the inner fenders tearing and I personally believe that's why they discontinued making them

·
Registered
420 Posts
No rust or frame issues with my 14 TTUE. Yet again I'm in sunny Southern California .

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
It is interesting that the Big 3 have been making trucks since before time began which all had red rust colored undersides after just a couple of years (some, it seems, as they drive off of the dealer's lot), and apparently no one cares about it and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

But Toyotas have been so good (in general) for so long, and the Taco frame rust issue was so bad, that we are all now very gun shy about surface rust and pissed that it is happening.

It is a fact that some frames, even on the "good" trucks, like Land Cruiser, and FJ, do experience rust through, like the extremely unfortunate one photo'd above. But those cases are really rare compared with what the issue had been on the Tacoma.

That issue had been a frame supplier in the US which wasn't following the procedure so the coating was completely lacking in those areas and the rust occurred wholesale.

The issue we are seeing, typically, on our FJs is surface rust, and mostly starting at the welds. Our frames and suspension arms are protected by e-coat, which works REALLY well (a big reason why modern car bodies last so much longer than they did in the '70s, that and big improvements in recycled metallurgy), but it won't stick to welds very well because welding metal creates silica deposits. E-coat can't stick to anything that isn't metal, so the edges of those microscopic deposits create starting points for surface rust in the surrounding steel.

So, the welds develop red rust pretty quickly.

This wasn't the case, or nearly as bad as this, 20+ years ago. Back then the paints and coatings available were much more reactive (and self healing), but to reduce cancer and other diseases in the population who had to work with those chemicals the industry began to eliminate them (hexavalent chromium and things like that). The problem is that those additives worked really well for the same reasons they were so bad for living organisms: they were really reactive.

The new chemistry that the industry has come up with has been struggling to maintain the same level of performance. It has been a rocky road, with a lot of unintended setbacks.

The moral of this story after reading tons and tons of articles about this on the internet is to protect your frame! The problem with using a paint like rustoleum on your frame is that it is so difficult to fully coat the inside of your frame rails (and inside of your suspension arms). It is great for coating the visible areas, but for covering the insides a Waxoyl, or Fluid Film, or Boeshield (or any of a dozen other aerosol spray type waxes/anti-corrosive coatings) is really valuable to resist rust through. Really flood those rails to make sure all surfaces get completely coated.

"researching how to make my FJ last forever, and wondering why my early '90s Camry never had a spec of rust until it was 10 ~15 years old, but modern FJ had rust all over its frame after only 2 or 3"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing here w/ rust. I've got a 2007, 115k miles. All regular service done through a local dealer. I took it in last week because the engine light came on. Turns out the frame is catastrophically rusted out and a rear control arm rusted off. I was told there's nothing they can do to repair it because of the condition of the frame. Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well the OP never posted back so he probably traded it and called it a day via replacing the frame is a $7500 job

21 - 28 of 28 Posts