Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has anyone used NH OIL? If so how is it?
My 09 has a very bad rust problem on the frame, actually, everywhere except the body.
Sorry, no idea.

New to the rustproofing game myself.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
489 Posts
What's your take on the Skid Plates?

Are they salt shields, or rather traps?
I took them off for a few winters thinking they were salt traps. But I noticed the front frame member gets more bombarded so I was doing more touchups in the Spring. Plus the threads are exposed without the skid bolts. So my opinion is they are more shields than traps. They must come off every spring for inspection/touchups regardless. Moisture will always get trapped to a degree.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's a good vid but I would paint after the conversion. More protection against air and moisture. It's hard enough to keep the inner frame protected. So the outer surfaces should be sealed as much as possible.

The gas tank skid should also come off and the straps hit with convertor and paint. You'll only get one side and they'll rot from the side you can't access. But it will slow it down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone used NH OIL? If so how is it?
My 09 has a very bad rust problem on the frame, actually, everywhere except the body.
Yes ..... I use it on my FJ. I bought an 07 with 88K miles in southern PA. The bottom was reasonably in food shape. I had the entire bottom wire brushed then took or to a shop where they applied the NH system. I’ve received a lot of complements on the underside of the truck. I have it touched up twice a year - once in early spring after the road salt has ended and once just prior to snow fall. The first one is free the second treatment which I choose to do costs me $50. All in all, I am pleased with their system.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts