Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
"Any other nooks and crannies?"

yes, all of the way around each of the wheel arches, front and rear, there are a bunch (result of a show car quickly put into production by modifying an existing structure to fit)
Wow.

All of that plastic around the wheels, the plastic trim over the bumpers...

That's a lot of plastic that needs to be unscrewed and popped off - who knows how many of those (brittle, 10 year old) plastic snaps would get killed in the process!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)

Bought the items above and started late in the afternoon today.

Cosmoline for the areas I don’t plan to “detail” often, such as the bumpers (are they still referred to as crossmembers?) - as well as the areas where liquid tends to pool (upper side of skid plates). Fluid film for regular areas.

Not that hard, crawling underneath with a brush.

But you really do need a good brush to get it done easily.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
"All of that plastic around the wheels, the plastic trim over the bumpers..." - no need to remove it all, just spray around and behind it so the pockets and shapes in the steel behind them that could catch mud are coated.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
"All of that plastic around the wheels, the plastic trim over the bumpers..." - no need to remove it all, just spray around and behind it so the pockets and shapes in the steel behind them that could catch mud are coated.
My worry was the pockets hidden by the wheel well plastic, like in the picture up there... Any cause for concern?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I think I was able to get to them without removing the trim. Except for the one you show in your photo, of the front fender I might have missed that one!

Looks like just the fender liner would need to be removed to get to it?

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
You can reach pretty deep into the front when removing the black fender trim on top (hood up).

The one place of concern is the rear passenger side wheel well - towards the front there is a pocket that like to collect stuff and start the process of rusting. I ended up having to cut and replace metal there. All good now.

Reactions: Farmer Brown

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks.

It’s these “not very straightforward” areas that sort of nag me.

I’ll probably just drown these areas with oil.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I’m beginning to understand why the rear bumper crossmember (is that the proper term?) has this tendency to rot away early - first, it’s somewhat hidden; second, it has these huge holes that act like scoops - right in the path of what the rear wheels kick up!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)

There’s this caulking of sorts towards the rear of the vehicle, around where the charcoal canister (?) is. Several lines of it. On the vehicle’s body, not the frame.

What’s it for?

Fluid Film dissolves this caulking!!!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
"what's the caulking for, on the body?"

wherever sheetmetal panels join there is an exposed sharp metal edge, the caulking is applied to cover over all of those so that the ED coat can protect the thin sheet metal without any exposed edges starting to rust (see the comments about the frame and why its exposed sharp edges all rust first)

Its purpose is to prevent rust.

"Fluid Film dissolves this caulking!!!" That's the first I've heard this. Yipes. If that is occurring, it would be wise to apply some paint over it first, and then FF over that, so they don't come into contact with each other.

When I first used FF on my truck I found all of the areas I hadn't properly removed the red rust first would bloom through before the end of the winter. So, one year I cleaned off all the FF (using oven cleaner) and wire brushed all the surface rust on the frame and suspension and not only painted them, but also painted the whole underside of the body too. So, now when I apply FF it is going on that paint, not on the sealer. But I don't remember noticing the caulking was soft or deteriorated from using it before, so am not really sure what is going on in your case!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)

From the front.

Obligatory rustproofing pumpkin shot from the back.

Do you want some bread to go with that peanut butter?

There.

Half a gallon of Fluid Film painted on.

Five aerosol cans of Fluid Film sprayed inside the frame with the 360 degree extension.

And I think I missed a crossmember!

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
A couple of questions...

1. Does anything go on the Transmission and Transfer Case?

2. How does moisture enter the rocker panels?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
WOWEE, that looks good! Absolutely no rust visible anywhere, and everything coated in mayonnaise fluid film.

There's no harm in also coating the transmission and T/Case, if they get warm enough to melt it off you'll smell it, but it'll help prevent those bare aluminum casings from developing aluminum oxide rust crust. Also, if you apply FF on the bottom of the body shell helps it hold off eventual/inevitable surface corrosion too (though, it tends to take 10+ years before that normally starts, adding protection will only help extend that farther).

"How does moisture enter the rocker panels?"
The rockers are the bottom of the body, so all moisture that condenses on the inside surfaces during temperature swings ends up down there. Also, if there was a leak somewhere, the water ends up there. So, it is a good idea to make sure their insides are coated with FF, and also, just as important, to make sure the drains are not blocked by anything (including FF, so check them after you are done). Often the reason why one rocker rusts out and the other remains fine is because the drain got blocked on the bad side.

Norm

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks!

A periodic light coating of transmission oil on the cases might do, then...

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)

Interesting rustbusting tech.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

The face...

...of the enemy!!!

So far, so good...

We'll know what I missed in a year or so.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser
18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup. Already salting here in Ohio. Predict I’ll be visiting the self spray car wash frequently over the next 4 months or so. All that POR-15ing was a bitch and a half. Gotta stay on top of it.
Spray cosmoline on your frame like I did. Let the cosmoline be a solid not fluid barrier between the paint and the salt. My fj is sitting in the driveway caked in salt and after doing the cosmoline I feel much less stress to wash it off although I will just as often. Lots of salt here in pa as well

Reactions: Farmer Brown

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser
18 Posts
Spray cosmoline on your frame like I did. Let the cosmoline be a solid not fluid barrier between the paint and the salt. My fj is sitting in the driveway caked in salt and after doing the cosmoline I feel much less stress to wash it off although I will just as often. Lots of salt here in pa as well
Great minds think alike. I sprayed RP-342 over the por-15 as well. I’m just a worrier...

61 - 80 of 84 Posts