Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This is my first post, sorry for being a little long winded. Just purchased a 2010 FJ AT 4x4 in Iceberg with 92k. I love it, always wanted one, and as such really want to do my best to take care of it. There is a little rust underneath, some on the rear diff, very little on the frame, some on the drive shaft, and other random spots. The worst is actually on some of the parts that hold up the exhaust. I know from records that this was up in Massachusetts for some time, so im quite pleased with how little rust there actually is. That being said, the yoke on the drive shaft seems to be rusted. It doesn't look pitted or horrible, but it is rusted all around. I am going to be wire brushing, corroseal, rustoelum undercoating, and painting everything and was wondering how to go about the yoke. Is that something that needs replacing? Can I go ahead with my plan for treatment like everything else? I was a little curious if thats a bad idea considering its a moving part? Also, if anyone has any advice on going getting all this work done id really appreciate it. I'm moving to Vermont in about a month, so I'd like to get everything done asap. Thanks a ton in advance for the help!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,552 Posts
Greetings from VT, aka the rusty state! Good you’re getting prepared because it’s ferocious up here. Can you post a pic of the rust you’re asking for advice on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sorry I should have done that first. The first two pictures are the part I'm talking about. I included the rest of the rusty spots as extra pictures too. Also, is there anything I should avoid going over with the corroseal, rustoleum, or paint? I was guessing the exhaust as it'll probably cook it off.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,552 Posts
I think you’re actually in good shape as long as you get a good, thourough undercoating done that includes frame rail interior. Looks pretty surface to me. On the driveshaft, I’d get all six zerks greased asap - many of us here purchased FJs that never once had that done! This will take care of the all-important moving parts. From your pics looks to me like rust is not affecting free movement of the U joints. Also given the rust on the drain plug of your rear diff, I’m guessing the oil has not been changed in awhile...good idea to swap fluids in all your major components (both diffs, transfer case, transmission) and have a fresh start - your FJ will thank you in the middle of next winter :wink BTW I’m in the mountains between Stowe and Montpelier....where are you relocating to?

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
That’s not bad at all for being a NE rig. The yoke is nothing... clean it up wire a wire brush along with the other bits you posted and treat them with whatever product you prefer to use. I really like Fluid Film for my stuff.

Not much your going to do about the exhaust parts other than replace the system altogether. They will be fine and will more than likely hold out for the life of your exhaust. At that point it will give you an opportunity to upgrade the system!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you’re actually in good shape as long as you get a good, thourough undercoating done that includes frame rail interior. Looks pretty surface to me. On the driveshaft, I’d get all six zerks greased asap - many of us here purchased FJs that never once had that done! This will take care of the all-important moving parts. From your pics looks to me like rust is not affecting free movement of the U joints. Also given the rust on the drain plug of your rear diff, I’m guessing the oil has not been changed in awhile...good idea to swap fluids in all your major components (both diffs, transfer case, transmission) and have a fresh start - your FJ will thank you in the middle of next winter :wink BTW I’m in the mountains between Stowe and Montpelier....where are you relocating to?
Ok awesome, thanks a ton. Ill grease the zerks, do you have any suggestions on a gun/grease? I've never done that before. I'm planning on using fluid film yearly after I finish prepping everything. I'd like to change the fluid in all your suggested areas, but I won't have the cash until mid June as I'm closing on a house and won't be working till then, you think it'll make it on a 2k mile journey up there from Texas? I'm moving into White River Junction, so not too far from you it seems!

That’s not bad at all for being a NE rig. The yoke is nothing... clean it up wire a wire brush along with the other bits you posted and treat them with whatever product you prefer to use. I really like Fluid Film for my stuff.

Not much your going to do about the exhaust parts other than replace the system altogether. They will be fine and will more than likely hold out for the life of your exhaust. At that point it will give you an opportunity to upgrade the system!
Thanks for the info! Is it ok to use corroseal and rustoelum on the yoke?

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
You’ll have to check to see what the manufacturer specs are but I’d think that as long as you aren’t coating and interfering with the U-joint, you will be fine. I touch my stuff up with rust reformer and then Fluid Film treatment in the spring and fall.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,552 Posts
Greasing zerks “can” be a pain :rofl:....still is for me! Use a flexible hose grease gun and good quality synthetic grease. For more specifics there are good threads on here about it. Start by searching “Zerks” and you’ll see more than a few threads with pics pop up. WRJ is a great location! Also I know of an OUTSATNDING garage not too far from you :thinkerg: GL with the move!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok ill make sure to look through a few threads before I do the greasing, thanks again for the advice. And I would love to know about a solid garage, I've had my fair share of bad luck with them before and would be happy to skip the search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts