Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Last winter I bought a 2007 RWD FJ thinking it would do just fine in the snow. Boy was I wrong!! Each time it snowed I just left my truck at home because it was so dangerous to drive. I live in Salt Lake City so it snows quite a bit in the winter. I bought the truck with pretty wide tires on it and I'm wondering if skinnier tires will do better in the snow. I'd also like to do some light off-roading but am concerned I'll get stuck. I got stuck in the sand out at lake Powell which was seriously disappointing :/ any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
the 2wd fj is kindov like a commuter version of the fj, not really meant for offroading at all imho but that said you can still do it just bring a buddy with a 4x4 and a winch. and as for the snow your best bet in to get some winter tires because to fj isn't exactly a snowmobile even with 4x4

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello! Last winter I bought a 2007 RWD FJ thinking it would do just fine in the snow. Boy was I wrong!! Each time it snowed I just left my truck at home because it was so dangerous to drive. I live in Salt Lake City so it snows quite a bit in the winter. I bought the truck with pretty wide tires on it and I'm wondering if skinnier tires will do better in the snow. I'd also like to do some light off-roading but am concerned I'll get stuck. I got stuck in the sand out at lake Powell which was seriously disappointing :/ any help would be great, thanks!
the 2wd fj is kindov like a commuter version of the fj, not really meant for offroading at all imho but that said you can still do it just bring a buddy with a 4x4 and a winch. and as for the snow your best bet in to get some winter tires because to fj isn't exactly a snowmobile even with 4x4
Mamaraerae,
Your 2 wheel drive FJ is not designed to do what you are asking it to do.... It is kind of like trying to use a screw driver to hammer nails... And then being disappointed because the screw driver doesn't do a good job.... Your 2WD FJ will take you more places than most stock 2WD vehicles, but it is not a 4WD....

SandyTime,
You are correct... The 4WD FJ's are not snowmobiles..... I was leading 3 Jeeps on a snowmobile trail, and there was a distinct difference between the snowmobile and our vehicles.... When it was dark and the temperature was 20 below zero F.... We were able to roll our windows up and turn on the heaters....

Cheers!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mamaraerae,
Your 2 wheel drive FJ is not designed to do what you are asking it to do.... It is kind of like trying to use a screw driver to hammer nails... And then being disappointed because the screw driver doesn't do a good job.... Your 2WD FJ will take you more places than most stock 2WD vehicles, but it is not a 4WD....

SandyTime,
You are correct... The 4WD FJ's are not snowmobiles..... I was leading 3 Jeeps on a snowmobile trail, and there was a distinct difference between the snowmobile and our vehicles.... When it was dark and the temperature was 20 below zero F.... We were able to roll our windows up and turn on the heaters....

Cheers!
the awkward moment when your windows are down in that picture xD

·
Registered
392 Posts
the awkward moment when your windows are down in that picture xD
Sometimes I can be real dense.... This may be one of those times..... I'm not sure if you are trying to tell me that you are disputing my statement of being able to roll up the window and turn on the heater when it is dark and -20F.... By pointing out the fact that the window is down in this particular picture is very observant of you.... Perhaps you can observe that this picture was taken during daylight hours too.... This picture was taken on a road that is not maintained during winter months. There was several feet of snow on top of this road. It was early afternoon and probably +5 or +10F... That is windows down heater on (low) temperature.... It was during the return to our point of origin which was about 1AM and dark when it was -20F, windows up and heater on.... I interpreted your comment that "the 4x4 FJ's are no snowmobile" was insinuating that FJ's do poorly in the snow.... That is not correct. The 4x4 FJ's do very well in the snow. They just need to have the right equipment and a skilled driver behind the wheel... And just to be crystal clear.... No... I am not making claims that an FJ or any other wheeled vehicle can keep up with a snowmobile in the snow.... I hope this clarified my previous post....

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts