Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2006 I bought one of the first FJs sold in Maine -- perhaps the first one sold. It was 2007, of course. Toyota had just introduced the FJ Cruiser. I saw one while driving in Southern New England and knew it would be my truck for a long time. Lots of great adventures in that vehicle.

Lots.

Sadly, my 2007, despite my best efforts, has succumbed to the indignities of time, distance, and the harshness of Maine winters.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

My 2007 taking its last ride.

But for every door that closes, a window opens...or some such bullshit.

I was in Texas, driving my daughter to her new condo in Austin. I hadn't had much luck finding an FJ I liked in New Egland but struck on the idea of looking for a good used one in Texas. A google search later and I found this.

2014, very clean 85,000 miles. Drove it back from Austin, a great ride.

I remember saying right after I bought my first FJ, "I'm going to drive this right into the ground, then buy another one just like it."

Which I did.

Just love having an FJ in the driveway, on the road, and off the road.

JT

Attachments

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I bought mine in Aug 06 can`t imagine getting rid of it. It would have to be really terminal for me to get rid of it. I haven`t figured out the level of terminal yet. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Total mileage on the 2007 was 205,000. There was always a bit of an issue with the transmission. It showed a failure code at about 110,000. Toyota repair techs cautioned the transmission would go at any moment for years. In the end, the transmission failed, the transmission cable had snapped. There was significant rust that the mechanics said would render the vehicle unable do be certified save within a year.

Adding to that, prior to towing the 2007 off, it looked as if the rear differential had rusted, the head gasket was leaking, and the rust was very obvious.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Perhaps that delightful quote from Mavis Leyrer, sums it up well for me.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Definitely go nuts with the rust prevention on this Texas one, so it will last longer than the first one did! If you play your cards right this "second chance" FJ may last you until 2039 when you can import a 25 year old truck from the Philippines/Middle East/etc. where they are still sold new.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Total mileage on the 2007 was 205,000. There was always a bit of an issue with the transmission. It showed a failure code at about 110,000. Toyota repair techs cautioned the transmission would go at any moment for years. In the end, the transmission failed, the transmission cable had snapped. There was significant rust that the mechanics said would render the vehicle unable do be certified save within a year.

Adding to that, prior to towing the 2007 off, it looked as if the rear differential had rusted, the head gasket was leaking, and the rust was very obvious.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Perhaps that delightful quote from Mavis Leyrer, sums it up well for me.
Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad you're still with us.

So living up in the NE had you done any rust prevention on your old FJ? Did you wash it with an undercarriage wash regularly - like weekly? Please elaborate for us fellow winter salt/brine/gunk brethren.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Congrats on the switch.

I bought a 211k mile midwestern 2007 rust bucket FJ that I am fully committed to rehabilitating, frame and all. Already ordered the frame and 3 weeks in to waiting for it to arrive from Japan. I’ve thought about starting athread about it.
If you don’t mind me asking, what does a frame cost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, what does a frame cost?
(Sorry if we’re thread-jacking)
I shopped around a ton. There are different part numbers for the frame. There’s only one that can still be ordered from Toyota, which is 51001-35b10. I got it for $5100 shipped to my friend’s door, who’s going to help me do the whole swap. Local dealership told me $7400 picked up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Definitely go nuts with the rust prevention on this Texas one, so it will last longer than the first one did! If you play your cards right this "second chance" FJ may last you until 2039 when you can import a 25 year old truck from the Philippines/Middle East/etc. where they are still sold new.
Probably not the Philippines, pretty wet and humid over there.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,375 Posts
Sad to see the last one didn't last forever, but happy to see you hopped back into the saddle with a new one!

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
291 Posts
Great vehicles are like great dogs. You love and care for them, but you know the clock is ticking and one day you will lose them. It's the way our reality works. Nothing will heal the pain like getting another one that you can love and care for. Condolences, and Congratulations!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts