Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to everyone out there with killer builds I drooling over. Im on a budget until i reach my max wage at work. Any advice on budget builds? Looking for roof rack (love the baja rack), also lift and currently outweighing 3" vs 6". Eventually replacing bumpers also. I dont know where to begin as this is my first build. Trying to troll through forums but cant narrow much down due to the tons of great advice and products you all have supported. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Welcome! First you need to decide how your going to use your truck, then you can focus on the build. There are some sweet builds on here, and it's real easy to want to do everything at once, but when that happens you usually end up changing things later. Ask questions and keep reading and you'll find what products will work for your needs.:cheers:

EDIT: Here is a good thread.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
group buys are good. they have a demello slider group buy i just saw. that would be good to jump on. i got a credit card with a 1200 dollar limit. which is all i use for my mods. not everyone would agree this is a good idea but it works for me. i max it out, pay it off, max it out, pay it off. it's a good way to build credit too.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
Welcome! First you need to decide how your going to use your truck, then you can focus on the build. There are some sweet builds on here, and it's real easy to want to do everything at once, but when that happens you usually end up changing things later. Ask questions and keep reading and you'll find what products will work for your needs.:cheers:

EDIT: Here is a good thread.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html
Brad gave you some good info here. I bought a few times myself. I've almost got it right now :)
thanks
Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply! The first 2000 was excellent. Was just talking to a buddy at work today about getting some skid plates. luckily already have straps chains and all, so that expense is somewhat done. Lower control arms hmmm, really was leaning at that 3" Rc lift, saw the price was 249.99! cheap although some say it really does a great job for its pricing. More and more reading to go, appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I'm on my second FJ and it feels like my 4th build. Plan it out. Know which direction you want to go... Do you want a rock crawler? A heavy duty? Baja style? Figure it out by reading a ton of builds on this site then invest on mods.

On the subject of 3" Vs. 6" just remember the 6" means 33"-35" tires at $200-$300 a tire.

If you are new to wheelin you might want to practice with a stock FJ. A stock FJ is more than capable of getting you where you want to go.

Get in on the group buys.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You need to remember, that mods are only useful if they are needed. Think about your application and don't ever think you need to do everything at once. In the meantime, check out the homemade/unique mods thread. It's inspirational and makes you think about how you can do some of the things you want with little money involved. You could look at my build too. It's a budget build up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts