Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched to no avail. To all the cb gurus. I want to rewire my cobra 75 straight to the battery. I want to use sae to ring connectors with the built in line fuse. Link below. Is there any problems using this type of connector. Also like the idea of the quick disconnect for a battery tender who uses this connector type anyway. Any negatives to wiring cb in this manner?

YETOR SAE to O Ring Terminal Harness, with 15A Protection Fuse for Safety, 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug,SAE Battery Extension Cable with 3.28FT 10AWG for Motorcycle Cars.(100CM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYW65HD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8CppEbTWWEHS0

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nope, as it should be directly wired to the battery to reduce noise. Just remember to turn it off when you're done. I've experimented with a cigarette lighter style power connection, fuse box connection also, and there was considerably more noise through the radio vs. directly to the battery. You will get noise when the A/C compressor cycles on and off and some noise when you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The "SAE" style connector is archaic, not waterproof, and not very reliable if you are going to connect and disconnect it more than a few times. Also, some/many of the cheap imported connectors use tin-plated steel terminals rather than brass, so as soon as the thin tin plating wears through, they will corrode and develop an unacceptable voltage drop.

Much, much better to use high quality, waterproof, US-made Deutsch connectors with wire pigtails already attached, so all you need to do is make clean soldered splices and insulate them with heat-shrink tubing.

Another option, if you're going to be needing to need several connectors, is to buy the appropriate crimper for the less-expensive stamped-and-formed type contacts and install the connectors directly on your wiring, eliminating the need to splice to the pigtails.
2-pin, #14 AWG Deutsch connector pair with pigtails

1 - 3 of 3 Posts