Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put together a small and efficient tool kit for emergencies.
Are all nuts / fasteners on a FJ metric , or is the vehicle a mixture
of SAE & Metric ?
Any suggestions on the top wrench sizes to carry ?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I cary both, the FJ is made in Japan so it's all Metric, I also carry SAE for aftermarket parts and for others that break down on the trail. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The FJ is all metric, but you never know when you may need to help some one else out. Because some day you to will need some ones help. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 19mm and 21 mm are the most used, but by the time you've bought those you might as well just buy a whole set. Get a 24mm and a 10mm hex wrench if you intend to change drive line fluids and a 35mm if you might have to do wheel hubs. Sockets do not take up much space; recommend you get 6-point ones.

·
Registered
634 Posts
In conjunction with the stock tire iron I've added a 1/2" drive torque wrench and carry 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm 19mm 6 point 3/8" deep sockets, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, screw driver, wire clipper/wrench, all of which fits inside the torque wrench case which then fits nicely ontop of where the stock sub should be.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Metric as the others have said, however a lot of aftermarket/add-on stuff is SAE. I asked the same question when I joined the forum (i.e. first Japanese vehicle).. The forum members have been much kinder to you.. LOL.. I had Jeeps for the last ten years and they are a mix of SAE and metric. Either is better than a mix. The roadtrip bag is essential; some have dedicated kits for the vehicle and others pack from the home tool set. I actually do both. I have a rubbermaid action packer (35X19X12) that stays in the FJ all the time. It's mostly empty when at home, other that a tarp and movers blanket and I use it for a shopping basket. It holds most anything I need to pick up and it stays put. When packing for a road trip, I fill it with my road emergency stuff and pack a travel tool kit from my home/garage tools.. Cheers

PS: Only the Snap-On truck has a complete kit.. and they don't have spare parts..

I want to put together a small and efficient tool kit for emergencies.
Are all nuts / fasteners on a FJ metric , or is the vehicle a mixture
of SAE & Metric ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Keep both SAE and Metric. Never know who might need a hand or if and when you are going to need to improvise. :D

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
291 Posts
BOTH>>>>If you do a search (back like a year or so) there are some threads that have complete lists of everything (sometimes even a kitchen sink). They get kinda big and if you carried every thing you might need a trailer:lol:. But it will give you an idea what to start with then just build from there....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts