Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one installed in Canada? what if any problems has anyone had with their snorkel, in heavy rain or snow. ARB USA is located just south of me in Washington. So I figure they are no strangers to frequent rain and seasonal snow, they claim to be unaware of any significant problems or complaints of snorkels sucking in large amounts of water. Although they do admit that they will suck in some water and carrying a spare filter is an asset. the only suggestion was to add the dust filter but it really wasn't made for rain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
in heavy rain, i just rotate the snorkel head 180 degrees, problem solved.
I was wondering the same thing as stop2think. My other concern was our low pressure high volume car washes here. Thanks layonnn.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I've splashed through deep water many times, rotate the head like Landy said, or you can throw a panty hose cuttoff on it for car washes, or I have even used a crown royal bag a couple times just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had seen that post just after making mine. I think it is a great wealth of info on this topic. My real fear is I live in a coastal rainforest here in Canada with heavy rain being a staple most year round. My concern comes from the idea of installling a device made for a dry enviroment, to my situation. I'm really hoping some locals will chime in here with some advise. As I have seen many a truck with this in the area. I will be going ahead with this mod and following landy's advise.

Just a side note I found this during my searches

This quote is from

Safari Snorkel top

Re: Safari Snorkel top
Mine has been turned backwards since about a week after fitting it. I was driving for about an hour in constant rain at 70mph on the motorway, then the rain got really heavy. Throughout the time driving in the rain I could feel the performance start to dip, and after the heavy rain hit I was struggling to stay at 70mph up some motorway hills which I never normally get. Stopped at the services to have a look and as suspected my air filter had become a sponge; I had a spare with me as I do most of the time and once swapped it was all back to normal. I'm frankly amazed there's so many saying it's fine! Maybe you should check your air filter after a motorway run in the rain, water will kill a paper filter.

And in terms of ram air; there is no way it could have an effect on a turbo powered engine. The turbo will suck in more than enough air, which is why a turbo has a wastegate, to get rid of the excess! So you're effectively ramming extra air (along with whatever else) through your filter, just to be expelled straight out of the exhaust.

Alex
One Life. Get One.

1958 Series 1
1992 Defender 90 (Randy Landy)
2005 Td5 90 XS
2006 Discovery 3

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have spun the snorkle head around for the winter months! My reasoning is that snow unlike rain is lighter and may very well make its way to the filter,thus clogging it! Just my .02!:)

·
Registered
729 Posts
dont worry about it .....if you need help with install let me know ive got all the stuff for it ..
hole sole and step drill ...just buy the timmys

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont worry about it .....if you need help with install let me know ive got all the stuff for it ..
hole sole and step drill ...just buy the timmys
I may take you up on your offer yet. I still haven't ordered it yet, debating ordering it in or picking it up from ARB Either way you wanna hook me up with the bits?

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I may take you up on your offer yet. I still haven't ordered it yet, debating ordering it in or picking it up from ARB Either way you wanna hook me up with the bits?
Pick it up. Some vendors may give you a price break that helps cover the tax if you pick it up. If you want specifics shoot me a PM. :)

No problem with rain, I've had my snorkel on for years. Never even rotated the head!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wont lend out tools ,but ill help ya get it on.....Only takes a couple hour to do it all, the paint drying takes the longest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in Mission BC and haven't run into any problems in the heavy rain with the snorkel in the default position and I have driven through some really heavy stuff over the last year and a half. I do spin it around when it's snowing heavy though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts