Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my snorkel on for over 6 months now, I am not completely convinced on its ability to filter out too much dust, even with the head turned around backwards. I have been reading about, and considering buying a pre-cleaner for it.

Is anyone else using one? If you are, how is it working for you? Are you using the 7" or the 10"?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
We test fitted the 7" on my FJ when ARB installed my snorkel last November.
It would hit the pillar, and a simple adapter of more tubing and clamps would raise it a few inches to clear.

I did not pursue doing it later, as I thought I read that it is much more restrictive than the standard head which I run facing forwards all the time, even in heavy rain.

My air filter stays dry and pretty clean too this way.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Supposedly there will be a kit for our snorkle because the precleaners will hit the body of the truck

There will be an extension to make them work

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don't think the kit is out yet, Arian. I wanted the 10" extreme duty pre-cleaner when I bought the rig and they didn't have it then. I looked it up on the catalog and it wasn't there two weeks ago.

However the President of ARB will be at the Summit. We can ask him there...

I do think we're better off with a snorkel than with the intake over the tire.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I ran my snorkel with a sealed aFe CAI and when driving in a pour-down rain storm the CAI airbox filled with 1/2 of water and began choking the motor. Needless to say, I had to stop, clear out the airbox, put in a dry filter and turn the snorkel intake to the rear. I have since reinstalled the stock intake with deck plate and sealed it. I will be looking for a prefilter as well, especially for those expedition runs in Moab.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have the 7 on mine works fine and liveing victorville it works reall good probly have to empty it out after about 3000 miles of driveing...i made my mine fit was going widen the opening to the snorkel but went to homedepot and got a 2inch rubber pice and it works fine wife thinks it looks like a blinder on it..lol

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not to sound like a smuck on the subject here. You all know that I am not a fan on the snorkel. Only gonna offer a suggestion here for a short term fix until the pre cleaner comes out. Taking the head off and placing a black dress type sock (or 2) over the down pipe. Cut or trim the excessive sock area off that is not being used and reinstall the Head back on. May need a rubberband to hold in place. I only suggest the dress type sock rather than a tube sock is because dress socks in black are pretty easy to come by, they will offer better filtration being a more tight weave and not very restrictive with air flow. And the Head will go back on with relative easyness. After a dusty trail run you can just pull the sock off, wash it, let it sun dry and replace. What do you think. Gay idea or plausible?

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Around here, I've seen some guys put an AFE or equivalent on the top of their snorkel in place of the scoop. It's not very aerodynamic, but seems like a pretty good idea to me since it acts as a pre-filter. As mentioned above though it won't help keep the rain out, but neither would a standard snorkel scoop. Perhaps a hood of sorts could be fashioned around it. Most of the non-jeep wheelers up here build their own snorkels with PVC so i'll look around and see if anyone has come up with a solution for the rain issue.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I've never had an issue with rain.

I've done 100+mph in a heavy downpour just to test it out and the CAI box was bone dry after about 3 solid minutes at that speed.

I think the pre-cleaner would really only benefit at the back of a caravan in the dirt.

My only complaint so far is the amount of Leaves and Bee's that end up in CAI box.. but that was fixed with wire mesh right below the head.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have the 7 on mine works fine and liveing victorville it works reall good probly have to empty it out after about 3000 miles of driveing...i made my mine fit was going widen the opening to the snorkel but went to homedepot and got a 2inch rubber pice and it works fine wife thinks it looks like a blinder on it..lol
Have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not to sound like a smuck on the subject here. You all know that I am not a fan on the snorkel. Only gonna offer a suggestion here for a short term fix until the pre cleaner comes out. Taking the head off and placing a black dress type sock (or 2) over the down pipe. Cut or trim the excessive sock area off that is not being used and reinstall the Head back on. May need a rubberband to hold in place. I only suggest the dress type sock rather than a tube sock is because dress socks in black are pretty easy to come by, they will offer better filtration being a more tight weave and not very restrictive with air flow. And the Head will go back on with relative easyness. After a dusty trail run you can just pull the sock off, wash it, let it sun dry and replace. What do you think. Gay idea or plausible?
I ran across this along the same pre-filter vein:

Safari Snorkel for your 4WD....... ( snorkle )

I've never had an issue with rain.

I've done 100+mph in a heavy downpour just to test it out and the CAI box was bone dry after about 3 solid minutes at that speed.

I think the pre-cleaner would really only benefit at the back of a caravan in the dirt.

My only complaint so far is the amount of Leaves and Bee's that end up in CAI box.. but that was fixed with wire mesh right below the head.
I think the primary difference for me is the supercharger: the air demand while climbing at elevation is significant, and sucked in more water than a normally aspirated motor. I also had the air box sealed, literally, so no drain holes or means of evaporation. All part of my learning curve :D

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Interesting find! What is the new aerodynamic head? Has anyone used the prefilters?

I ran across this along the same pre-filter vein:

Safari Snorkel for your 4WD....... ( snorkle )

I think the primary difference for me is the supercharger: the air demand while climbing at elevation is significant, and sucked in more water than a normally aspirated motor. I also had the air box sealed, literally, so no drain holes or means of evaporation. All part of my learning curve :D

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Extreme Limits Offroad makes two styles of prefilters for our application. One called the "Droopie filter" is a preoiled sock that mounts internally before you install the Ram Head. I got the other version which is just a sock that fits over the head of the snorkel. That way I can take it off and put it on easily and quickly. It is designed for offroad use as a dust trap, but it can be used for on road use as a "locust barrier". It is very effective for both uses. It doesn't restrict airflow, so there is no upper speed limit like with the cyclonic prefilter heads. It is inexpensive, easy to clean and re-oil, and just a good product all around IMO. The material is fairly thick, so it really catches lots of dust before it ever enters the snorkel.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I only see the Droopie on their site. Where is the sock?

Extreme Limits Offroad makes two styles of prefilters for our application. One called the "Droopie filter" is a preoiled sock that mounts internally before you install the Ram Head. I got the other version which is just a sock that fits over the head of the snorkel. That way I can take it off and put it on easily and quickly. It is designed for offroad use as a dust trap, but it can be used for on road use as a "locust barrier". It is very effective for both uses. It doesn't restrict airflow, so there is no upper speed limit like with the cyclonic prefilter heads. It is inexpensive, easy to clean and re-oil, and just a good product all around IMO. The material is fairly thick, so it really catches lots of dust before it ever enters the snorkel.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts