Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Truth be told, the proper place for us to be is one foot in the enviromental camp, and one foot in the wheelers camp
we need to be the stewarts.
Would that not be a conservationist?
The reason I joined treadlightly. It seems as if you guy's ARE Conservationist's, not envirowacko's that want to keep everyone out of the wilderness and just have folks look at the photo's THEY take.
I love nothing more that getting out on the trail with my family, weather it's on a mountain bike or in the FJ. I have alway's taught my kids to leave only foot or tire prints and pack out what you brought in!:bandit:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Got a questions about snatch blocks...

Got the winch (Warn 8000 & ARB bumper) and the tree saver.
Dad used to just hook it up and pull people out (or himself).

But how is the snatch block used? Pretty sure I need one, cause all of you say so. But how is it used?

I'm assuming you loop the rope through the block as a pully system and return the end back to your rig and attach and this takes some of the load off of the winch. If this is the case...where on the FJC do you attach the end? Is that the purpose of the shackles I see out there for sale? Where do you mount the shackles?

Can someone put these instructions simply for me? Don't want to waste money on a useless recovery item purchase. And which brand/rating is preferred?

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Here ya go, from my website.
This sheet came with my Warn winch.

May I also suggest getting Bill Burke's "Getting Unstuck" DVD?
You can find it on his website.
I just got it last weekend for $31, and it is two hours worth of using a winch, snatchblock, Hi-Lift, and other good recovery info.

Very good info on it for sure.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Thank you, Corey Forum Master (thats a cool title!).
Didn't get that sheet with the winch from Warn...but answers all the basic questions.
Safety, Safety...spent too much $ on this set-up to get it wrecked/ruined or the folks with me injured.

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
You are welcome.
Also, are you using the steel cable that came with your winch?

I sold mine within days of getting it back in '02, and went with synthetic line.
I again jsut replaced my line with a newer synthetic one with a safety thimble hook on the end.
I like it because I can cinch it up against the fairlead.

You attach it to other items with a D ring shackle.
So if you were using a tree saver, you would use one shackle for the safety thimble and the tree saver strap.

If using a snatch block, one shackle for the tree strap and two holes in the snatch block, and one shackle on the safety thimble to reattach the end of the line to your stock tow hooks under your front end.
You have two down there.

Here is a writeup I put up on my forum on installing a new winchline, and it shows the safety thimble I now run.
Installing A New Synthetic Winchline - YotaTech Forums

In the first 640x480 picture you can see the stock FJ mount you can run a line back to when using a snatchblock.
That is where I stored my old line with the old hook.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Corey, "Forum Master" (I still think thats so cool!);

When I had the bumper & winch installed, I made sure it was with synthetic line.
I also ordered the DVD you suggested...probably the closest to hands on training I can get since I really don't know any other serious off-roaders.
Your rig was the one I looked up a while ago and book-marked the photo of regarding the hi-lift jack set up on the roof...maybe it just looked so darn good cause it's Titanium like mine!.
Got the BFG all-terrains and dumped the stock Dunlops too at 1,500 miles.
Still considering if I'll need a lift. Right now, everything is riding good and high even with the weight of the bumper.
Looks like you have the OME lift. How do you like it? 3"?
Not real confident as far as doing it myself. It's the one I'm leaning toward.
Found a great fabricator 4x4 guy in Lake Tahoe that put the bumper/winch set up on.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Love the OME lift.
It is around 2" or more you get out of it.

Without the lift, you should be saggin' when you come to a stop real fast.
I can stop fast, and not nose dive with the setup.

It tightened up the ride and corners much better too, and makes on/off freeway ramps more fun/safe.

I am sure I can do the rear OME setup, but the front is way beyond what I would want to tackle.

I had the best shop around do mine too, ARB USA.

A good frontend shop should be able to tackle your lift.
Just make sure whoever does it puts the front struts together correctly.
The cup that goes on the strut must resemble a cereal bowl, and many put it upside down which preloads the strut and gives you more height, and that is not correct.

In the not to distant future, there will be an ARB bumper/OME lift install in a magazine.
That should give you some tips.

I really like the Hi-Lift mount, but I wonder about the COG having it up that high when driving up to where I go.
I may experiment and buy another set of bigger mounting rings, and install it on the ARB up front.

Having the Hi-Lift there should make the rig handle better I would think.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Corey;

Great, now I have to sign off.

Gotta go spend more money and order the OME 3" lift!

Got the okay from the husband...got to order now while he's agreeable to it!

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Corey, Forum Master;

Thanks for the Texas dealer info. I e-mailed them for a quote on the lift. Glad I actually didn't order it as planned last night. These folks might offer a better deal.
My rig is going to end up looking like your twin.
But since Oregon separates them, they probably will never meet!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
He he he, post pics when done.

You will like that Bill Burke DVD too, I am watching it in between commercials here while watching StarGate.

I think the DVD should be a requirement for everyone going off road to view.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
He he he, post pics when done.

You will like that Bill Burke DVD too, I am watching it in between commercials here while watching StarGate.

I think the DVD should be a requirement for everyone going off road to view.
Definitely. I can't wait for my copy to get in. Good info and the more you know the more fun you'll have, IMO:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know this is covered under trail etiquette, but I would like to add something I do. When I go boating and trail riding. I ask anyone that rides with me to remove at least one pice of garbage from the area and dispose of it properly when we find a refuse container to do so. I just figure if there were 500 boats on the lake or rigs on the trail, in one day, in no time, there would be no trash to pick up. As a group of responsible FJ Cruisers forum members, we could set another good example.
that almost makes up for me telling my trail buddies to throw down 2 pieces of garbage!

NO jk, its a good idea. Litter bugs piss me off!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: Safe Wheeling 101

Quote:
highbeams previously said: View Post
Getting a book such as, "THE 4 WHEELERS BIBLE",

I am going to plead ignance on this title. Is this actually a book and if so who is the author or what is the site where I can find it?

Yes, it's real and it is in my Amazon shopping cart:

Amazon.com: Four-Wheeler's Bible: Books: Jim Allen

thank you to the original poster for starting this thread!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts