Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to lie, I like loud music. And by loud, I mean I don't care if people in the next town over hear it. But since I blew out the speakers on my last car, I've been more careful with my FJC. I was told by a friend that keeping the Bass at 4 and never exceeding 50 on the volume that I would be guaranteed not to blow my speakers, or the stock 10" sub in the back, or at least damage them. I was just wondering if this was true? I don't want to be causing damage to my speakers, and I really don't want to deal with the whole rigmarole of replacing them.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It depends on what you're running. If I use my line-in, the volume is really soft so I have to crank it up to 50 just have it sound like 35.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just the stock speakers, with the stock sub, no mods. Although it may just be me. but sometimes to just 35 sounds like 50, and 50 is deafening. I NEVER turn it to max, just on principle.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My tires are loud. If I'm on the fwy, 35 is just audible :lol:.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
With the top off the TJ I have to have 900 watts just to hear the radio:) I like 30 and bass at 2 tre at 3

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I keep the bass set at 0 since I have an aftermarket sub, but I usually have the volume maxed out at 63. Some songs on my Ipod are louder than others, but for the most part, it's pretty loud. Since my bass is set so low, I likely won't have any problems with the speakers trying to overextend. Maybe I'm trying to blow them to give me an excuse to upgrade them along with a new head unit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I like loud music. And by loud, I mean I don't care if people in the next town over hear it. But since I blew out the speakers on my last car, I've been more careful with my FJC. I was told by a friend that keeping the Bass at 4 and never exceeding 50 on the volume that I would be guaranteed not to blow my speakers, or the stock 10" sub in the back, or at least damage them. I was just wondering if this was true? I don't want to be causing damage to my speakers, and I really don't want to deal with the whole rigmarole of replacing them.
Amplifier clipping is what blows speakers most of the time. When your amplifier runs out of power to produce the proper smooth well-defined waves that it is supposed to put out, it distorts, loses control, and puts out a whole lot of distorted power.

So, the key is to figure out when you hit the clipping point. It's not too hard. Listen to some music you know very well at low volume. Keep turning it up a notch or two until it sounds like either you are getting less bass or the sound gets sort of brash and harsh compared to lower volumes. You are at clipping at that point.

Note: Various input sources and even different CD's, MP3's, etc. will have different clipping points due to different input levels and different music composition.

Just listen for the less bass and more harsh/brash sound, and you will know when the amplifier is clipping. At clipping, you are in danger of blowing a speaker (or more).

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I like loud music. And by loud, I mean I don't care if people in the next town over hear it.
You, my friend would be just one of about 6,000 reasons I would never live in Oklahoma!:lol:

Been through it a couple times and can honestly say I remember only three things: #1 - Flat; #2 - Hot; #3 - My vehicle c ouldn't go fast enuff to get outta there!

Oh and one more thought - Amarillo, Tx makes OK, OK.:lol::lol::lol::lol: jk

Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts