Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right area to post this in...

Okay, so I searched through the forum, and while I found some threads on safety flags, none of them really answered the question I have. I would love to take my FJ out to the Oceano Dunes, but you have to have a whip and flag. I don't have a roof rack or tow hitch, so how else could I mount the whip to the back?
I read about the bandi cb mount, but would I be able to use that to attach a whip? If so, would it work with the firestik flags? I also read about the pop-it whip, but how would that mount to the back? I thought about trying to custom mount something to the spare tire carrier, but I could easily foresee problems with that. I'm also looking for something that'll be study enough to fly a full-sized flag.
Does anyone have a solution? Suggestions? Anything?

Thanks in advance :)

On a side note, this will be my first mod, so I'm pretty antsy and excited to get it done lol :rocker:

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Good luck with the whip..... Your gonna LOVE Oceano dunes. Some of the funnest wheeling I've done to date.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only been out there once, and it was on one of those tour things...it was a blast, but I can't wait to be in control lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything I've read, and anyone who's gone out there, always say how awesome it is, and its enough to turn me green with envy lol :) i just need to find/decide on something to mount the flag so I can get out there. It may be a little while before I can go anyway though; I was hoping to go during spring break (in April), but that looks like it may be a no go, sadly...lol but yeah :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
we use dune flags that utilize Adams suction cups so you can affix them to your windows.

photo by CA Annie

some folks zip-tie them to their CB antenna, but some have broke off too.

you can always go the duct tape route! :bigthumb:

photo by manoweb

flags are mandatory now and must be at a minimum of 8' from the surface. plenty of StepCal FJs have been making trips to Pismo over the winter. keep an eye on their discussions...i'm sure there's one in the works. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
If all else fails... try to make plans to hit up Surf N Turf this year in Nov., which I believe may be the last year for this event. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we use dune flags that utilize Adams suction cups so you can affix them to your windows.

photo by CA Annie

some folks zip-tie them to their CB antenna, but some have broke off too.

you can always go the duct tape route! :bigthumb:

photo by manoweb

flags are mandatory now and must be at a minimum of 8' from the surface. plenty of StepCal FJs have been making trips to Pismo over the winter. keep an eye on their discussions...i'm sure there's one in the works. :cheers:
YES! Duct tape, I like it! :clap: Lol Do you have problems with the suction cups falling off or anything?

If all else fails... try to make plans to hit up Surf N Turf this year in Nov., which I believe may be the last year for this event. :(
I was literally just trying to find info on the SnT for this year lol but I kept getting stuff for previous years (if there's something there, I'd love a link because technologically savvy, I am not and I can miss the most obvious things lol). It seems like it’s a total blasty blast, and I’ll definitely have to go, especially if this is going to be the last year for it :( my first and last time :mecry:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I hope this is the right area to post this in...

Okay, so I searched through the forum, and while I found some threads on safety flags, none of them really answered the question I have. I would love to take my FJ out to the Oceano Dunes, but you have to have a whip and flag. I don't have a roof rack or tow hitch, so how else could I mount the whip to the back?
I read about the bandi cb mount, but would I be able to use that to attach a whip? If so, would it work with the firestik flags? I also read about the pop-it whip, but how would that mount to the back? I thought about trying to custom mount something to the spare tire carrier, but I could easily foresee problems with that. I'm also looking for something that'll be study enough to fly a full-sized flag.
Does anyone have a solution? Suggestions? Anything?

Thanks in advance :)

On a side note, this will be my first mod, so I'm pretty antsy and excited to get it done lol :rocker:

I followed this and got great results. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/38385-saftey-flag-mount-mod-7-50-part-1-a.html?highlight=flag+mount+cheap

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/38386-saftey-flag-mount-mod-7-50-part-2-a.html?highlight=flag+mount+cheap

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I do believe I'll be going from school to the hardware store tomorrow...that looks perfect :bigthumb: I especially love it since its like a preview for my rig since mine looks just like the one in the pics lol
Thanks for the awesome link :) (i must have missed that one when I was searching through the threads)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
it'll be the last year Pismo Jim organizes it, but there're rumors that either TLCA will "adopt" it or separate groups will continue the event informally.

FJC Mag had an article about it: Been There, Dune That!

YES! Duct tape, I like it! :clap: Lol Do you have problems with the suction cups falling off or anything?

I was literally just trying to find info on the SnT for this year lol but I kept getting stuff for previous years (if there's something there, I'd love a link because technologically savvy, I am not and I can miss the most obvious things lol). It seems like it’s a total blasty blast, and I’ll definitely have to go, especially if this is going to be the last year for it :( my first and last time :mecry:
the suction cups are pretty strong. i personally ran with the flag on going on a frontage road at about 55, but wouldn't recommend running miles of freeway with it. just make sure there's no grit between the cup and the window and you're good. it'll handle anything you do on the dunes.

the SnT website will be updated around September or so, but it is always on the first weekend of November...we all mark our calendars in advance for it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah, okay, I gotchya

do you have to buy the suction cups online, or is it possible to find them in stores?

And I immediately marked it in my planner lol I'll totally be ditching school for it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Safety Flag Suction Cup Mount

Not to bring up a dead post, but I figured I would shed some light on this topic for everyone. Last time I was in Pismo Beach I was turned onto a suction cup flag mount designed by a local guy in town. Apparently he got sick of duct tape, and zip ties and came up with a solution to the mounting problem. They're called stickywhips. They worked awesome for me. Mounted it to my back window which got the flag up higher too. Easy on, easy off. Just make sure your window and the cups are clean before mounting. Check them out next time your headed to the dunes.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Ok, I'm new to the flag thing. I've been to two parks, neither required it.

But my question is, what is the purpose (aside from the law :lol:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ok, I'm new to the flag thing. I've been to two parks, neither required it.

But my question is, what is the purpose (aside from the law :lol:)
Moose, It would not surprise me if this guy isn't Mr Sticky Whips himself. First post from out of the blue and he is trying to sell something.

I think he might be a spamming spammer, lol. Did you see the compelling ad vert isment?
Displayed WHIPS Required at Ohv parks around the world!
Don't get caught without one and stuck with A $500 FINE!

These are guaranteed not to bend, rust, tarnish or buckle up under great strain... But WAIT! There Is More... Order in the next 15 seconds and we'll double your order and throw in a free battery drill, just pay separate shipping, handling, disposal fees and purchase a battery and charger for one low undisclosed amount on your credit card. Call NOW!

If anyone wants to become an equity member, I have title deeds for sale to Pismo Beach... You too can own a piece of sand.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Moose, It would not surprise me if this guy isn't Mr Sticky Whips himself. First post from out of the blue and he is trying to sell something.

I think he might be a spamming spammer, lol. Did you see the compelling ad vert isment?
Displayed WHIPS Required at Ohv parks around the world!
Don't get caught without one and stuck with A $500 FINE!

These are guaranteed not to bend, rust, tarnish or buckle up under great strain... But WAIT! There Is More... Order in the next 15 seconds and we'll double your order and throw in a free battery drill, just pay separate shipping, handling, disposal fees and purchase a battery and charger for one low undisclosed amount on your credit card. Call NOW!

If anyone wants to become an equity member, I have title deeds for sale to Pismo Beach... You too can own a piece of sand.
:lol: Well probably, and I had/have no intention of buying anything, I've just seen a couple of threads out there where people had flags, and I just don't get the purpose. I mean, if you can't see or hear the huge chunk of metal moving, I don't think a flag is going to help you :rofl:

·
Registered
609 Posts
The flags are used to increase your visibility in the sand dunes. The flags stick up above the roof line and over the ridge line of the dune.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts