Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to my local toyota dealer last night to get a feel for how much or how little they knew about the ride. this salesman said "yeah sure were going to get some. the dealership owner is getting one, the sales managers got the next one, jim-bob over there is getting the one after that and i'm next after him". so i'm sitting there lookin at these goof balls. they say "you know there only coming out in limited release" i said "what, 1 per dealer" they said "yeah 1 per dealer". i would think math would be a required strong point to be a salesman, but no only art of bullsh%@ is a requisite. so i'm guessing the only people that will be driving fj's in my neck of the woods will be these elite toyota employees that get 1st dibb's. the incredibly knowledgeable staff also indicated that 1st year release would only top out @ 4000 units.
of which i think they plan to purchase all of.

i'm thinkin that if you plan on putting a dent in the Xterra market, you better make more than a couple dozen units.

lord all mighty can we please have a fricken green.
(the brilliant sales group also indicated green wasn't a popular color........but spongebob yellow and flipper blue was)
my rant is complete.........for now

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jettman...Pancho and I live in Houston. What dealership did you go to, just curious? And other then the owner of the dealership...you really think these guys can afford an FJ? And 4000 is a joke. More like 40,000.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think it is a prerequisite to be a ahole and sell toyotas. All the dealers in my area are the worst people to deal with. Make me fear looking for a new car. There must be a school for toyota sales people around here to make the aholes

·
Registered
378 Posts
sikocycles said:
I think it is a prerequisite to be a ahole and sell toyotas. All the dealers in my area are the worst people to deal with. Make me fear looking for a new car. There must be a school for toyota sales people around here to make the aholes

Do yourself a favor and listen to all of us asses here on the forum instead. You will get 10 times the info here. We may not know all the answers but at least theres a little passion here. I called Toyota once. ONCE is all it took. Just be patient. It's killing us all but one thing we can't stop is time. It will be here soon. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya, I see some thing wrong with that. So these guys get the FJ’s at their special dealer cost, buying up a vehicle that may be hard to get in the first place. This sounds like a nice way for that dealership to artificially inflate price. I think csherrill has a good point, call your way up to the owner or above that if needed. That is not how it should work. For example, Microsoft employees at events promoting the Xbox 360 were not able to buy an Xbox for themselves. And imagine if the Best Buy employees across the nation had pre-purchased all the available Xbox 360’s then promptly put them on Ebay, that would have caused the earth to implode. I’m impressed with jettmans bravery. I never would have gone in there by my self.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most salesmen can't buy a nice suit and a decent hair cut. You think they can afford every new model that comes off the line?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Let's all be honest here. If any of us worked for a dealer and had the oppourtunity to be first on the list to get one, wouldn't you? I know I would.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mpd8488 said:
Let's all be honest here. If any of us worked for a dealer and had the oppourtunity to be first on the list to get one, wouldn't you? I know I would.
honestly i cant stand setting foot in a dealership much less speaking to a salesman. i just cant wait to unwrap my pine tree air freshner - it's waiting for it's new home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have first hand experience on this subject since I sold cars, albeit for a very short time. It's something I always wanted to experience, I learned that it pretty much sucks, but it was valuable experience.

First rule: Don't believe anything a car salesperson says.

Second rule: Follow first rule.

As for the salesperson getting new cars, sure they can and do. The dealer I worked at had a list for the FJ and it was pretty long. Of course customers generally come first since they will be paying much more. Don't think the salespeople get great deals, they don't, but they don't get raped either.

I am happy that I tried selling cars since I will never get screwed again. I've already put my experience to use and it worked (the dealership wanted to kick me out, in the end I won and got a great deal).

As for the money, if you work for a good dealership you can make serious money (100k+). It's probably hard for most to imagine, but a salesperson can make $1500 or more on one sale.

Everyone should rent the movie "Suckers", it's about the auto sales business and it's damn funny. It's scary how close the movie is to real life!

http://www.rogernygard.com/suckers/main.htm

D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jettman -

I feel for you... Some of what they say is probably true. The first year production (2006) is actaully very low. I thought only 3,000, but 4,000 may be right. I bought a first year new-style 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser for sticker at $27K. They only produced a few thousand the first year to test the waters and assure quality. Some dealers were adding $5K+ to the sticker at the time, but I just laughed at them. They even gave me $3K more than I paid for my 630 BMW I traded in (LOL), so you can come out on top some times.

By the way, there was a time when you could not paint an Indianapolus 500 car dark green. It was considerd bad luck and history proved it! That said, I think a modern day light green-tan's and green-gray's look great on 4x4's. I'd like to see one in the light matallic green-gray I've seen on some Handa Elements.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's typical that customers like us are going to know much more about the product than a salesperson is. We are more interested than they are so we're going to research it more. WOW BIG SURPRISE. Yeah they shouldn't lie to you, yeah they shouldn't bullshit you, but come on guys, what are you thinking asking them. FJCRUISERFORUMS.COM knows more. .....in general, sales people are trying to earn your business and make a living. You want what they have and they have want what you have. There's no tricks involved, secrets or special manuvers and if you think they are being too greedy or you're being taken advantage of, DON'T BUY IT. I work in sales and the guys that i've worked with are some of the most fun, friendly, awesome people I know. There are those a$$holes that are salesman, but there are a$$holes in every job. I guarentee if you ever come into my store, you will have fun and meet some really cool people, just let your guard down and don't be so defensive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You guys, seriously, chill.

They are going to make 30 to 40,000. Note the fourth zero there.

If you get on the waiting list in the next month or so, you will have one next year.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
praetorian said:
You guys, seriously, chill.

They are going to make 30 to 40,000. Note the fourth zero there.

If you get on the waiting list in the next month or so, you will have one next year.

Cheers,
prat
Prat's right, at SEMA they said they hope to push over 40,000 in the first year! So you know they aren't only going to make 4,000 of em. Salesmen are shmucks. It doesn't matter whether you're shopping at wal-mart, starshmucks or a car dealership, they all have the same goal in mind - TAKING YOUR MONEY! Customer service is a DEAD art form. It used to be taught, now it's a joke.

Kick back, start a thread, let's just relax and enjoy the opportunity we have to get to know other FJ enthusiasts and when this thing finally comes out - even those spoiled salesmen who cut in front of you to get one first will be on our site asking for your opinions and your help. He who laughs last, laughs most!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marketable dude-
i'm indeed a little defensive when i deal with pompus dillweeds that sit behind the mighty and powerful location of the salescounter. (maybe when i'm finished with this silly engineering career, i too can be in AUTOSALES so that i may talk down to the little common folk who just want a good/cool truck)
but you speak the solid truth.................walk out.
the fact is i'll drive my groundpounding titan until summer/fall. i got it way early 04 and i had to find all the squeaks and bugs that you get in a 1st year run. it has not been a picnic for sure.
your right, bung holes are everywhere.
i see bunghole people.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Clearly as more and more flood the forum and more and more people hear about it...you are going to get guys coming in here making genius comments like that Toyota is going to make 4,000 FJ's. I mean can you imagine the expression on the workers at the Japanese plant when they hear they have to churn out 4,000 in a year. They'd be finished by Feb. and not have to make another car for a year.

I'm gonna have to lump these guys in the same category as the guys who think the matrix is an SUV. And note to all....when in the company of a salesmen...never let your guard down...only a salemen would tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Straight from Toyota in Chicago:

Toyota did not announce prices, but did say they intend to sell about 40,000 per year in the US, Canada, and Mexico. FJ will be built in Japan, and the vehicle shown in Chicago was what Toyota considered an "exterior prototype".

That's only 109 FJ's a day if the Japanese assembly plant is running 7 days a week. Economics 101 will GUARANTEE that the FJ's demand will exceed supply for the first 6 months to 1 year. In other words, zero discounting from MSRP. IF you can find one for MSRP, feel extremely lucky. I suggest lining up a dealer now like I did that will order one to your specs for MSRP. They ARE out there. One of the local So Cal dealers already told me $5,000 over sticker. The vast majority of the public does not know about the upcoming FJC but will have the "must have" syndrome when they see it at the dealership in early March of 2006.

I predict the majority of dealers will be selling the 2007 FJC above MSRP with "mandatory" packages a la BMW's Mini Coopers back in 2002. Either take it or leave it. Things like:

-Custom tire and wheel "package". $3,000-$4,000?
-Dealer installed "off road" accessory "package" like OEM Toyota brush guard, roof rack, ladder rack, etc. $4,000-$5,000?
-Mandatory "protection" package for paint and interior. A HUGE profit maker for the dealer. $1500-$1800?
-Mandatory extended vehicle warranty "package". $2,000?

·
Registered
204 Posts
csherrill said:
Clearly as more and more flood the forum and more and more people hear about it...you are going to get guys coming in here making genius comments like that Toyota is going to make 4,000 FJ's. I mean can you imagine the expression on the workers at the Japanese plant when they hear they have to churn out 4,000 in a year. They'd be finished by Feb. and not have to make another car for a year.
Honestly, I think a post-deletion rule may need to be implemented.

God I hate sales guys. Not that they give a ****.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
38 Posts
csherrill said:
Too funny! :rolleyes: You need to check you facts more carefully. The first year production is 2007, not the few initial FJC's coming out in 2006. Sales demand will likely play a role in production as well :confused:

I'll see if I can find that 3,000-4,000 "2006" production quote source and post it... :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to my local dealer in Connecticut (the highest volume toyota dealer in the state) and the first "sales consultant" I spoke to made believe he heard of one. He asked another guy who said he had some information and he gave me a copy of the March/April issue of Toyota Today Magazine for dealers. It had a basic article and some pictures about trying to "attract the venturesome" to appeal to younger buyers "with active lifestyles" and the really reassuring news that the price is "expected to be far less than the full-size Landcrusier" So this was 8 month old info. They told me they would call me when they knew something on price or allocation.

This is the same dealer where I bought a 1981 Tercel for $4,401. Things have not changed. They still have no cars in the showroom, just little round tables. The sales guys are all repulsive looking and they try to get you to buy today. Then they keep going up the stairs to the manager's platform that overlooks the sales floor. When the people look pissed the sales manager comes down and sits at the little table and tries to close the deal by droppping the price or lease a little bit. Exactly the same as 1981. Incredible.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts