Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sliders are a rusty mess, gonna pull them this weekend to get blasted and recoated.

My last powder coating on my sliders rusted pretty quickly, is there any better alternatives than powder coating for these parts that get beat up with rock chips and subsequently rust pretty quickly?

Would it help to fluid coat them after the powder coat, maybe keep a bottle at home and keep them coated?

Thanks in advance

Premium Member
Good powder coat with excellent prep work is best coating. Poor prep and it comes off in sheets, traps water, rust...

No coating can survive a slide over the rocks. What works for me is to remove the rust at scrap points with flap sanding wheel, paint on truck immediately.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good powder coat with excellent prep work is best coating. Poor prep and it comes off in sheets, traps water, rust...

No coating can survive a slide over the rocks. What works for me is to remove the rust at scrap points with flap sanding wheel, paint on truck immediately.
Thanks Thane......what do you paint with, just a a flat black spray paint?

Registered
Use black Steel-it and touch up after you get trail rash. It鈥檚 just about the best spray can product on the market. It鈥檚 a constant battle, requires frequent attention.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you plan on hitting the trails again, why go to the effort and expense. I just brush on some rust reformer and call it a day.
Good point, after I get them re powder coated(they look like ****) I'll just keep a can of this stuff around and call it a day

Premium Member
"after I get them re powder coated"

From experience, aftermarket powder coaters don't do the necessary surface prep (there are several steps, involving catalysts and etching and cleaning stages which must be very carefully controlled during mass production - either skipped or done poorly by aftermarket sources) and so their powder coat product peels off in sheets very quickly after exposed to the elements. Any scratch accelerates it.

Rattle can / paint brush paint will more likely last longer and also hold up better after scratches.

Premium Member
As a one-off job it is very difficult to get powder coaters to do quality work. If you are a fabricator with lots of future work, you will have their attention.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"after I get them re powder coated"

From experience, aftermarket powder coaters don't do the necessary surface prep (there are several steps, involving catalysts and etching and cleaning stages which must be very carefully controlled during mass production - either skipped or done poorly by aftermarket sources) and so their powder coat product peels off in sheets very quickly after exposed to the elements. Any scratch accelerates it.

Rattle can / paint brush paint will more likely last longer and also hold up better after scratches.
That would explain why powder coating for me has been so hit and miss as far as longevity\quality

1 - 11 of 11 Posts