Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove sand in the engine compartment? Did 120 miles on the beach last Saturday and just did an oil change and noticed pockets of sand everywhere. I don't want to use air...that would be like sandblasting would'nt it? Don't want to pressure wash it....who knows where the sand will end up. Should I just let it fall out on its own? I don't live near the coast so I am not familiar with the maintenance involved.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hose with your thumb over it. Just try to keep a lot of water away from the fuse box and coil packs, along with other electronics.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I hope you didn't go in the water (ocean) at all with it. IF you did you had better rinse EVERYTHING real soon. I use a lawn sprinkler to get the salt off the bottom of my rig in the winter (New England) As far as the engine goes I would rinse it off with an open ended hose with a medium amount of pressure. I would also let the engine cool before rinsing it. Good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you didn't go in the water (ocean) at all with it. IF you did you had better rinse EVERYTHING real soon. I use a lawn sprinkler to get the salt off the bottom of my rig in the winter (New England) As far as the engine goes I would rinse it off with an open ended hose with a medium amount of pressure. I would also let the engine cool before rinsing it. Good luck
The tires may have touched the water only for a brief second. We were going slow at the time. Didn't have any beach to stay on that section. I hosed off everything outside and underneath but didn't notice the engine compartment until I did the oil change. The lawn sprinkler is a good idea....Thanks. I will try the low pressure hose also...Thanks again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The tires may have touched the water only for a brief second. We were going slow at the time. Didn't have any beach to stay on that section. I hosed off everything outside and underneath but didn't notice the engine compartment until I did the oil change. The lawn sprinkler is a good idea....Thanks. I will try the low pressure hose also...Thanks again.
Definetly make sure you cleaned all the salt off. Like the above poster, I recommend a sprinkler. They yellow whirly gig ones.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
While you are washing don't forget the body mounts and inside the frame. Body mounts in the front especially, mud and sand tends to build inside and trap moisture there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While you are washing don't forget the body mounts and inside the frame. Body mounts in the front especially, mud and sand tends to build inside and trap moisture there.
This is beginning to sound like work!!! But it has to be done. I don't know how you Cruisers do this if you live on the coast all the time. Oh well...it was worth the trip. Now to get washing!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Taking care of things is just part of the price of having fun with it. Using air would not be like sand blasting. The sand particles in your engine are not going to be blasted at the parts.... just blown off them. A hose is probably better anyhow. Just don't go blasting a stream of water on electrical connections or sensitive parts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Use compressed air if you want to get the job done. It won't hurt anything designed in Japan. If you're anal about it, try a shop vac hose right above the compressed air and your sand will magically disappear.

I pressure wash my engine compartment once a year. You have to to get all the dust & grime out of there if you do even moderate off road adventures. Again no problems with this approach either as long as you are not 4 inches away from EC components, or the real hazard; block parts or others sealed by gaskets or silicone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts