Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the threads a bit, but, I'm just about to do a quick cleaning of Sandi tomorrow, and I'm looking for any advice that might help guide me in the short-term.

So far, I see many products recommended for cleaning and for waxing/polishing, and I'm gatherign them for my eventual mix, but for now, I think I'm just going to do the following for tomorrow...

I was on a trail run a couple weekends ago (with a bunch of my CO FJ brothers and sisters), and although I've cleaned her exterior a couple times since, I still haven't done anything about all the trail dust (I know = dork).

I'd really like to just get all of that trail dust out of there, off the main surfaces tomorrow, even if I don't do the best job quite yet with cleaning and protecting, etc.

So, my plan is to just use some kind of damp (wet?) cloth and very gently wipe it off the surfaces (I'm extremely afraid of the abrasive action of the sand as I'm attempting to wipe it off) and then come back later sometime with some chemicals, etc and make it right.

What you think?

steven

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've found the best way to clean the dust off everything on the interior is my shop-vac mini with the super soft brush end. You can pick up the shop-vac mini cheap just about anywhere & make sure you get the real soft brush attachment. I think sears has a good one. Anyway, I vac the entire interior, the brush pulls the dust out of the a/c vents(nothing looks worse than a nice clean interior & all that crud in the vent finns),& the knobs on the raido. Just about anywhere. I don't like to use Armor All,to greesey for me,because if you get it on the windshield it won't come off,(read the label,small print warning,at least the last time I looked it was there). The shop-vac mini is small enough to carry with you & plug it in the rear outlet if you have one. & clean it where ever you are. On a nice day if nothing better to do I toss the vac & the waxer buffer in the FJ & go to a nice shady spot at the park(to get away from the wife & kids) & use the plug in the FJ & spend the day. I hope I didn't ramble on too long,but the mini-vac is the best way...MAXXFJ

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing for sure, I'd wait until after Sunday, it'll get dirty again.
Ya, I know, I should just let it be, but even if can have er clean for a few hours it'll be nice....and I need to get my system figured out; what I'm going to use, how I'm going to do it, etc, and today is a perfect day for it - (my wife will be gone all day to an event in Littleton) - so, I can spend a bunch of time trying different things and all that.

steven

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found the best way to clean the dust off everything on the interior is my shop-vac mini with the super soft brush end. You can pick up the shop-vac mini cheap just about anywhere & make sure you get the real soft brush attachment. I think sears has a good one. Anyway, I vac the entire interior, the brush pulls the dust out of the a/c vents(nothing looks worse than a nice clean interior & all that crud in the vent finns),& the knobs on the raido. Just about anywhere. I don't like to use Armor All,to greesey for me,because if you get it on the windshield it won't come off,(read the label,small print warning,at least the last time I looked it was there). The shop-vac mini is small enough to carry with you & plug it in the rear outlet if you have one. & clean it where ever you are. On a nice day if nothing better to do I toss the vac & the waxer buffer in the FJ & go to a nice shady spot at the park(to get away from the wife & kids) & use the plug in the FJ & spend the day. I hope I didn't ramble on too long,but the mini-vac is the best way...MAXXFJ
Not too much rambling for me. I really appreciate your comments, and I will definitely add them to the mix as I get my cleaning system all figured out here.
Thanks!

steven

p.s. any idea on price for one of those vacs?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Steven:

I find your FJ's name quite disturbing, especially when used in thread titles. Please be careful with your declarations on who (what?) is getting a cleaning; you might upset my husband. At the very least, you should change your spelling of the name.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The *original* FJ Sandi, from January, 2006. Show some respect!

I've read through the threads a bit, but, I'm just about to do a quick cleaning of Sandi tomorrow, and I'm looking for any advice that might help guide me in the short-term.

So far, I see many products recommended for cleaning and for waxing/polishing, and I'm gatherign them for my eventual mix, but for now, I think I'm just going to do the following for tomorrow...

I was on a trail run a couple weekends ago (with a bunch of my CO FJ brothers and sisters), and although I've cleaned her exterior a couple times since, I still haven't done anything about all the trail dust (I know = dork).

I'd really like to just get all of that trail dust out of there, off the main surfaces tomorrow, even if I don't do the best job quite yet with cleaning and protecting, etc.

So, my plan is to just use some kind of damp (wet?) cloth and very gently wipe it off the surfaces (I'm extremely afraid of the abrasive action of the sand as I'm attempting to wipe it off) and then come back later sometime with some chemicals, etc and make it right.

What you think?

steven

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steven:

I find your FJ's name quite disturbing, especially when used in thread titles. Please be careful with your declarations on who (what?) is getting a cleaning; you might upset my husband. At the very least, you should change your spelling of the name.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The *original* FJ Sandi, from January, 2006. Show some respect!
Um...wow. I'm assuming you're kidding.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hey Maxx, I bought the Euro Pro Shark and it works well but it draws to many amps and trips the curcuit to the rear plug? This was the smallest portable vac I could find! That shop vac mini you purchased from sears, Do you know the amperage it draws? It seems most tools I plug in back trips the switch:mecry:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um...wow. I'm assuming you're kidding.
Based on the ":rofl::rofl::rofl:", I'm thinking that was the case.

Just in case that's not so though...

The whole reason I landed on "Sandi" as a name for my FJ in the first place is because it is a Sandstorm (the official name for this color from Toyota).

When I picked this name for my FJ, I specifically set out to search the Forums to find out if anyone else had made such a name choice public yet.

I was FJCruiserForums.com member number 18664, and as of then, there were no other mentions that I could see anywhere in the forum where someone had named their FJ with the name of "Sandi".

Since that was the case, I went ahead with naming my 2008 SANDSTORM Toyota FJ Cruiser, "Sandi".

If you seriously think that there is some kind of conflict here, please bring it to the leaders of this forum and have them force the issue, because otherwise, I'd rather be left alone - the name I chose to give to my vehicle is not something which I wish to spend one more minute defending to you if you're that demented as to have some kind of problem with the fact that the name I chose for my vehicle just so happens to be equal in alphabetical characters to your name (i.e. what if there were soeone on the forum that named their FJ "steven"? Should I freak out about that? Come on!).

That said, I'm pretty sure you were kidding.
So, if that is the case.....nevermind. :)

Thanks.
steven

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Neverminding.

-S

PS: yes, it was a JOKE.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neverminding.

-S

PS: yes, it was a JOKE.
Ok, cool.
I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that was a JOKE (rotfl smilies somehow didn't work I guess - since everything else in the message sounded pretty dead-on serious), but thanks for letting me know. :)

steven

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Hey back on track here.... first use a vacuum, then an air compressor.... once that's done re vacuum then wipe her down. Armor all adds a nice touch to keep her shiney and new lookin inside.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey back on track here.... first use a vacuum, then an air compressor.... once that's done re vacuum then wipe her down. Armor all adds a nice touch to keep her shiney and new lookin inside.
Cool. Thanks, Athena.
I picked up a $30 vac from Sears on Saturday and did a test-run with it. Of course, I waited a bit too long to work on the Metberry dust, but it did in fact take out a bunch of it.

Then I wiped with microfiber cloth - dry, then damp, then dry.

I don't have compressed air yet, but I can see how that order you stated makes sense; vac to get the bulk off the main surfaces, then blow it out of the cracks, etc, then vac that up...so on. I will try that as soon as I get compressed air.

As fo ArmorAll, I've heard from others on the forum that it's not so good compared to soem of the other products out there. Have you ever tried anything else?

I'm not putting anything on my insides yet. I usually don't like the greasiness, and I'm not completely convinced that it won't cause other problems yet.

i.e. if I have something like ArmorAll all over the place, wouldn't it tend to cause the dust to stick to the surfaces and make it harder to clean up after a trail run like what we went through on that Metberry run a couple weeks ago? =not speaking from experience, just wondering.

steven

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Steve I'll be very very honest with you. I will clean the fj maybe once a month after many times of wheelin. I myself am not to worried about the type of product I'm putting on cause well I guess I just don't. My fj is never going to look new unfortunately.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sorry, I have been off line for a few day's. The shop-vac mini ,I think I saw it somewhere for $20- not sure where I saw it though...As for tripping the curcuit, Have had no problem so far. Haven't used it very much,only did the cargo area,so maybe too many amp's as well, not sure. I'll need to check into the max amp draw for that plug,(don't know much about electrical stuff). I want to keep my dremel tool in the back(never know when that thing will come in handy). Tell you what, I'll give the both of them a run when I get home from work & let you know if I trip the curcuit. I'll check back on Wensday...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One other note on cleaning---Interior & exterior also window's---I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer on everything, As long as you have wax on the truck, this stuff works wonders. I do everything with this stuff, the body, interior, plastics, window's inside & out. I think it does a better job than glass cleaner. About twice a year I hit it with Meguiar's cleaner wax, clay bar it if needed & then just wash it off-dry it & quick detailer it. Give this stuff a shot, it works. I carry a spray bottle of it & a rag always.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.