Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seat belts jam?

last weekend while riding the mountains in W Va. we attempted a trail (wide shale wash) that went vertical on us up the mountain. after about 400 yards the we were seeing sky so I backed down to a small washout were I could park the FJ horizontal (FJ still at a steep side to side angle, but only place to park) to the trail so we could scout out were the trail was ending up before committing any further.
When got back to the FJ all the seat belts were locked, there was no way to belt our selves in, is that normal??? Not until we got to level ground were we able to used our seat belts.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,223 Posts
There is a locking mechanism on the seat belts. I've never seen it lock the belts while parked, but I've been driving off road and had them suck in tight when hitting a bump and locking and they were almost choking me and wouldn't release until I slowed down and was on flat ground. They work on momentum basically form what I know. If you move forward suddenly pulling the belt out of the retractor such as when stopping fast or impact or bouncing forward when off road the belt will lock as a safety feature to secure and hold you in place. To release it you need to provide slack so the belt can retract a bit or unhook the belt and then let it retract and then slowly pull it back out.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Bigguy describes happens to me a lot, but in this case we had put the FJ in park and turned it off, hiked up the hill for about 10 minutes and then come back. Mind you the up hill door on the FJ was hard to open because of the incline. After determining that attempting the rest of the trail would be just plan stupid we got back in the FJ and neither the driver or passenger seat belts would allow us to even pull them out a little, they were locked tight.
Funny how much you miss seat belts when turning on a steep hill.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I think the belt locking mechanism is a balanced type of weight that will be moved off center by momentum as in rapid deceleration. In your case you caused it to go off center by being at a steep incline(real steep) and this locked the belts. Did they allow you to buckle them when you leveled out some?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Seat belts jam?

I think the belt locking mechanism is a balanced type of weight that will be moved off center by momentum as in rapid deceleration. In your case you caused it to go off center by being at a steep incline(real steep) and this locked the belts. Did they allow you to buckle them when you leveled out some?
Yup, worked great on level ground. Strange that problem has't come up more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts