Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering satellite radio, price and ease of installation are inhibiting factors for me as my skill-set leaves a lot to be desired (understatement).

Looking at plug and play sets, but running wires through pillars and removing dash components is intimidating for me.

Might be a stupid question, but is there a wireless antenna system out there?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Considering satellite radio, price and ease of installation are inhibiting factors for me as my skill-set leaves a lot to be desired (understatement).

Looking at plug and play sets, but running wires through pillars and removing dash components is intimidating for me.

Might be a stupid question, but is there a wireless antenna system out there?
None that I've seen.

It isn't really that hard. You actually don't drill any holes to run the antenna through.

I'd actually suggest buying the XM Xpress RC as pictured here.

I have the Toyota one and it has about 1/10th of the capabilities of the XM Xpress and I'm thinking about selling mine and getting the Xpress.

This one has the capability to save off both favorite channels and even favorite songs in different folders. Say you're listening to a song you like and it's half way through the song. You have the capability with this radio pictured to save that song in a folder. It saves the whole song, regardless of whether you're halfway through or not when you save it. You can also see four of your favorite channels and what they're playing at the same time, allowing you to be listening to one station and see another favorite station is playing a song you like, you can just switch with the press of a button

The only thing I've seen that the Toyota radio has over the XM aftermarket radio is that it's just part of your radio, no extra pieces to see. The module is a pain in the a$$ to install because you need to take the bulk of the inside panels, seats and trim out of the passenger's side and rear of the vehicle.

This one is available at Best Buy for around $100, with another ~$120 or so for the installation kit you'll need and the labor to install it there. They can do it in about an hour or so.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Don't know of any wireless ones out there, but ther eis also no need to gothru pillars. Mount the antenna on a corner of the roof and run the cable down in the seam above and beside of the windshield. It makes very little difference to go to the center of the windshield, so going to the corner gives you extra cable for the inside. The cable is small and fits very nicely into this seam. I then took a small length of wooden dowel painted black and pushed it in over the cable in a couple of places to assure it dowes not jump out.

When you get to the bottom of the windshield, run the cable behind the front quarter paned and into the space by the door. A few pieces of electricians tape will hold it in place there. when you pass by the weatherstripping be sure to have it angling upwards when it enters the cab of the vehicle. This will keep and raqin from also coming in. You can now route it behind the glove box and over to the center console.

I mounded my XM on a vent clip and ran the audio down to the AUX plug. The antenna cable and come out of the side of the center console and up to the XM radio. For power, I mounted a three plug strip on the side of the center console. Now for the runs up to the radio, I ran the power, antenna, and audio in a section of black flex cable sleeve along the edge of the console.

The whole thing took maybe 20 minutes to complete, and no holes drilled or major parts removed.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mounting the antenna is really (!) easy. Really. Mine is centered on the roof (front), goes through the firewall, behind glove box... invisible and really was simple.

Don't let the "installation" deter you... we'll get ya through it ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback. Looking at it, and a few other posts on the subject, I think I'm going to go through the firewall on the drivers side, then up through the thumb tab on the fuse cover, connecting it to the unit which I will mount to the silver vent cover with 3m (don't want to drill as this may be temporary).

I would like to tap into the "add a circuit" for the power supply as mentioned by Landcruiser Steve in this post: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/27862-xm-radio-install-pics.html, but despite his excellent instructions, my ignorance is encyclopedic in this regard. I will, however, notch out the unused switch blank for the aux and run that wire under the dash

From all the plug and play installs I've seen, this one seems fairly clean and simple, and I like the mounting loaction too

Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts