Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have never been to Tellico, you may never go to Tellico, but many of your fellow FJ drivers have and will again. We need your help NOW to keep this legendary area open!
Yesterday, the USFS announced their plans for "managment" of the Upper Tellico UHV Area. This plan includes closing or changing 15.5 out of the 39.5 miles of trails, including closing most of the challenging areas. The summary looks like this:

1) Schoolbus GONE
2) Slickrock GONE
3) Lower 2 GONE
4) If Helicopter Pad bypass cannot be successfully bypassed... GONE
5) The Ledge at Peckerwood GONE

Now, I am BEGGING you...on my hands and knees, to please get involved in this fight. This forum can be a huge influence on the outcome of this action. But to do that, we all need to get involved. Take this back to your clubs, your friends, your regional forums, whatever and whereever you need to go to get support. We need people to comment!

Here is a LINK to all the information you need to educate yourself on what is going on: LINK TO TELLICO INFO FROM THE USFS

If you don't want to read all that, then please consider sending a letter or an email to the USFS telling them that you oppose the closing of any trails at Tellico and that you think that they should give more effort and money to trying to maintain and keep the trails open.

Here is the info for sending comments:

"Your comments may be sent to Tusquitee District Ranger, 123 Woodland Drive, Murphy, NC28906. Comments may also be sent via email to [email protected]fs.fed.us. We would appreciate receiving your comments by July 9, 2008."​

Please, PLEASE...help us keep this area open!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Letter sent.
Money sent.

Thanks for this Heather.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Letter sent.
Money sent.

Thanks for this Heather.
No, thank you! If everyone on this forum would send a letter or an email and donate just $5 to Rescue Tellico, we'd have a huge voice and $100,000 to pay the lawyers to fight this action!

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Tellico was the first place I ever off-roaded in my '84' Jeep CJ-7. I was amazed at the size of the place and really just of the fact that there was even places like this so close to my home.

Now I'm not just one of these "....hey it's my land and I'll use it however I want..." kind of people. If I must say I'm a bit of tree hugger myself, but I also like my hobby of off-roading and I think that they can coexist if we can all just find some middle ground.

Unfortunately the "enviromentalists" have stronger support. It's just the plain truth. This is where we all come in. To keep these lands open for our enjoyment we have to become a stronger voice, myself included. Sitting back and letting other people do the work for us will not work. Numbers is what we need to make a statement, so please if you are an off-roader who enjoys the trails at Tellico, or anywhere for that matter, make your voice heard so we can keep enjoying these trails and keep them open for our kids to enjoy as well.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Everything sent including the money!:clap: Just glad to help try and help keep trails open to wheel!:rocker::cheers:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please fill out this survey for Tellico!

Y'all are great, thanks so much for getting involved. Now I need to ask for everyone's help. This will only take a few moments and will only cost you the price of a stamp.

As part of the NEPA process, these folks have been contracted to determine what kind of an economic impact closing the trails would have on the area. THIS IS A BIG DEAL. Please fill out a survey and send it in. We tried to show the public with Spring Fling, but this is the "official" survey. Fill it out folks, it's important.
Link to Survey
http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/...OHV_Survey.pdf
Link to Cover letter
http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/...overletter.pdf

Please ask everyone you know who uses Tellico OHV area to fill out the survey and MAIL it in to:

Tellico OHV Recreation Survey
Dept of Forestry, Wildlife & Fisheries
The University of Tennessee
274 Ellington Plant Sciences
Knoxville, Tn 37996

RE-EMPHASIZE: The surveyor lady SFWDA spoke with who was handing these things out at the Allen Gap pay station said that she had been accused of not doing her job properly because none of the OHVers were responding, only fishermen. She said they had nearly 100 to 1 ratio of responses from fishermen to OHVers. LETS FIX THAT PROBLEM FOR HER!
Please post up once you have filled out the survey and sent it in so we can encourage others to do the same!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Why do they want to close these trails? Is there some endangered animal or plant in the area? I have to know a little more before I can say I'll get involved, but if it seems like overkill on the part of the USFS, I'll do my part to help out.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do they want to close these trails? Is there some endangered animal or plant in the area? I have to know a little more before I can say I'll get involved, but if it seems like overkill on the part of the USFS, I'll do my part to help out.
Nutshell: Trout Unlimited wants the trails closed because they think they are causing sedimentation in the Tellico River. There is no scientific proof that this is true. TU threatened a lawsuit and the FS caved immediately. If you want to read about the whole fight, go here: SFWDA Tellico Info

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, United Four Wheel Drive Association and BlueRibbon Coalition filed suit against the FS to repoen closed trails there too.

This is an effort by an anti-ORV group to close public land to one user group, and it's the one that we belong to. Please do educate yourself and others on public land use and please pitch in to keep public lands open to the public!

PM me or post up with any questions! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUMP!!!

The deadline for letters is July 9th! Please comment on the scoping letter!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
We are heading out for FJ SUMMIT on Sunday and for a few months have thought about a way to help the Rescue Tellico fund. I contacted Jay at SFWDA and asked if he was ok with us doing something and if they would help by providing a URL for a website through GoDaddy or something such as RESCUETELLICO.COM and maybe some brochures or graphices we could use to make flyers and vinyl wrap our trucks. He was all for it...unfortunately the SFWDA never got back to me after multiple contact attempts....so we are doing it on our own as we feel it is important enough to raise awareness of this plight.

So my buddy PROINV and I got vinyl decals made and found sponsors to help us on this trip and endeavor. Some helped with getting us to Ouray and others donated money for the cause. You will see two Toyota Dealership, and four vendors between the two trucks.

Our goal is to raise awareness and if someone visits the vendors or visits the SFWDA website that is cool. If they donate items to be raffled then we will raffle them and give the money to either the RESCUE TELLICO fund or the GSMTR fund as both are for the reopening of Tellico OHV area.

We will be on channel 7 on our trip and plan to stay west of nashville near Land between the Lakes first night...likely the KOA campground....second night will be near Salena KS....and then into Ouray Wednesday afternoon we hope. If you see us say hello and more importantly, consider giving a donation to help the cause.

Thanks to the following people:

Pete Lee for his graphics

Lucrum Industries...thanks Chris
TRD SPARKS TOYOTA...thanks Jamie
Creel Tire and Brakes....thanks very much
Florence Toyota...thank you

Would also like to thank Heather for her vote of confidence....thank you indeed!

See you in Ouray!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts