Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:rocker:Hey I'm not an expert ...but i did sleep at a holiday inn last night...
My aquaintance told me the signal from the stock Toyota stereo is great.

So I left my stock deck in the car and just bumped the signal.

In the rear we modified the stock sub woofer box giving it more air space and installed a single 8" Kicker powered by its own hidden 500 watt Sony amp
then we installed 2- 6" Momo's in the midship and some 3" polka tweets up front.. these four speakers are powered by a top o the line Kicker 4 channel 500 watt amp.Disconnect your cardboard wafers in the ceiling too they suck
..obviously all the stock speakers are garbage.

Both amps are very secure and hidden in the huge area hidden behind the plastic near where the passengers head is.

The end result is An absolutely superb sounding sysytem that looks completely stock.

i was ready to drop $700.00 on a deck but i'm glad i didnt , now for $900.00 bucks in momo's and amps this system Rocks!!!

Install pics Below in newer post

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Pictures? Details how you modded the stock sub box. What exact speaker did you use in it?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Never ever heard someone use the term "Bumped the signal" What does that mean? You mean you used a FM booster to amplifi the FM signal reception. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures? Details how you modded the stock sub box. What exact speaker did you use in it?
I'll get you some pics soon, it at the body shop getting door handles painted black..ps like your bushwackers mine are white on black.
the speaker is a 10" (stock is 8") polka audio MOMO

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never ever heard someone use the term "Bumped the signal" What does that mean? You mean you used a FM booster to amplifi the FM signal reception. Thanks.
in this case it means i ran 2 huge #4 power wires back to 2 seperate amps ..taking the stock stereo's digital signal and BUMPing it up.
it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
in this case it means i ran 2 huge #4 power wires back to 2 seperate amps ..taking the stock stereo's digital signal and BUMPing it up.
it sounds awesome.
Umm, cool! BTW the stock stereo does not offer a digital out. Even if it did Kicker amps and Sony amps only support Hi/Low level Analog inputs. I'm sure it sounds great. You should read my Profile.:wave:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umm, cool! BTW the stock stereo does not offer a digital out. Even if it did Kicker amps and Sony amps only support Hi/Low level Analog inputs. I'm sure it sounds great. You should read my Profile.:wave:
My bad ... the guy at holiday inn said it was... and i did start my thread with a disclaimer stating i dont know chit from chinola . i assumed digital disc meant digital sound...
thanks for the correction
paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
What I hate about the stock unit is there is only a bass adjustment and not a sub adjustment. It sure would be nice to adjust only the sub to better fit the genre of music I'm listening to at that time.

I'll be interested to read and see pics of your upgrade.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i can and will take pics of the amps next week when i get my Fj back. there is actually quite a bit of room behind the plastic on both sides. its a pain though you have to remove lots of stuff ..we took out the seats carpet dash etc. but i can show you the amps fairly easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd like to see were you put the amps to. Sounds like a nice setup.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let me see. You spent money to get the door handles painted black but left the h/u in tact. $40 for black tundra handles by supporting vendors, with a 2 min install. Its your money. Briman isn't even going to acknowledge you.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me see. You spent money to get the door handles painted black but left the h/u in tact. $40 for black tundra handles by supporting vendors, with a 2 min install. Its your money. Briman isn't even going to acknowledge you.
Now ya Tell me ... 214 bucks i just wasted damn i could bought 1 slider or maybe a skid. actually it was the mirrors i needed to paint. when the paint wears off i'll get some tundra handles. Had i known then what i know now...
ty for the heads up

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I hate about the stock unit is there is only a bass adjustment and not a sub adjustment. It sure would be nice to adjust only the sub to better fit the genre of music I'm listening to at that time.

I'll be interested to read and see pics of your upgrade.
That is a drawback to this system there are several adjustments on the amps but it takes 10 minutes to get to them. so i just left it middle of the road and it seems pretty good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ace, I've been silently lurking for months to see if anyone has actually tried to take the stock Jammer apart and make the correct connections to splice into the pre-amp output stage.....for the soul purpose of ending up with RCA jacks to run external amps (NOTE....I hate inline high output amp to amp connections). Like some of the other guys, I think the stock Jammer is a good unit and given the right combination of amps, proper installation and adjusting of the amps....I stongly believe the pre-amp signal is clean and strong enough to provide quality sound reproduction. I've had this done in the past to 90's Fords with no problem, but haven't found anyone else yet that has given this a try. Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask the question again....ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS THE SMARTS TO MAKE THIS KIND OF A MODIFICATION?:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Save your money This stereo rocks!!! Part 2

Ok Guys As many of you have requested Here are a few installed pics showing where we put the amps and speakers

Here is the rear Sub Modification We made a bit more airspace by carving some plastic behind the sub and installed the 8" Kicker sub here in the original FJ sub housing- very clean but you must screw the cover on as the original keepers do not hold the housing together when you crank it. This speaker has its own dedicated 400 watt Sony Xplode Amp
Electronics Auto part Technology Vehicle Car

Here is the Amp Location for the Sub. The Other 6 speakers are handled by a 500 watt 4channel amp in the same location on the driver side. both amps are mounted to wood which is screwed to the body.
Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire Wheel

Here are the 6" x 9" Polk Audio MOMO's in the front doors.pic is a bit blurry ...sorry
Audio equipment Auto part Vehicle Vehicle audio Car

Here are the 6" round Polk Audio MOMO's in the Middle
Vehicle door Vehicle Car Wheel Rim

Here are the 2" Polk Audio MOMO Tweeters in the rear
Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Car subwoofer Vehicle audio

More pics to be posted soon with actual speaker and amp models and info. ROCK ON
Thanks
paul

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Save your money This stereo rocks!!! Part 2

please pm me if you need more specific pics

1 - 20 of 38 Posts