Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered and received the hi lift jack base from SBE.

Their description:
With our newly designed jack base you will just about double the foot print of your original base. The main plate is made from 6" x 8" 3/8" plate with 1/4" C channel uprights. Using sections of soft compound racing tires we've created a non-slip surface, this allows the jack to be perched on top a large rock or boulder without it sliding away from you. We have maintained the same front to back percentage at the mount point, because centering it would allow the jack to tilt foward more easily under load.
Great build quality and finish! Haven't used it yet but there really isn't much to it....it's a hi lift jack base with a bigger footprint and non-slip grip. I am sooo paranoid about my jack slipping out from under me. I've looked at the red plastic ones from Hi-lift brand before...one thing I don't like about them is your jack just sits inside the lip of that base...I've searched and cannot find anyone using them on anything but a perfectly level surface. I had to do a Nascar-style tire change once - had to drive to a semi-level spot in a crazy hurry because my tire was hissing and about 60sec from being totally flat lol...it was also a wintery dirt road. Would've been nice to have this add-on :)

It looks goofy on my black jack right now...gonna sand it down and paint it or put truck bed liner on it soon. My jack now weighs a ton, with the rock slider adapter and all lol

Great mod for under $50 :)

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
That looks nice. I like the traction.

What don't you like about the fact that base sits inside of the lip on the base Hi-Lift makes? This allows it to sit in a slight depression and prevent it from sliding off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think $50 seems a bit steep. You could just bolt some 3/8" plate or even 1" PT and a square of scrap tire tread to your existing base and achieve the same thing for a lot less.

Looks cool, though.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I think $50 seems a bit steep. You could just bolt some 3/8" plate or even 1" PT and a square of scrap tire tread to your existing base and achieve the same thing for a lot less.

Looks cool, though.
for my part, there are things i think it's worth doing myself, and other things i'd rather just pay for and have done with it. and this, i'd rather just pay for. and just did. thanks for the post, John. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
That looks nice. I like the traction.

What don't you like about the fact that base sits inside of the lip on the base Hi-Lift makes? This allows it to sit in a slight depression and prevent it from sliding off.
i know i'm not the person you were asking, but in my case i bought a Hi-Lift Xtreme, and whomever i bought it from (i forget where i bought it now) happily sold me the plastic Hi-Lift base too without informing me that the stock base of the Hi-Lift Xtreme is a good bit smaller than that of the standard Hi-Lift jack, which means the Xtreme's base just slides around free in the the plastic base's channel. which in turn would make using the plastic Hi-Lift base with a Hi-Lift Xtreme something on the order of suicidal.

so i went with the SBE base, which is much smaller than the Hi-Lift plastic base but bigger than the stock base on either model of Hi-Lift jack, and is a very solid piece of equipment (no plastic here!). i'm hoping it's going to be all i'll need; if it turns out that it's not, maybe i'll bolt a piece of wood or steel to the Xtreme's stock base to make it bigger. the SBE base has no pre-drilled bolt holes for such a mod, but the Xtreme's stock base is positively full of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts