Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts where some said that their MPG didn't change much if they kept their foot out of the SC. For me, even when I try to stay out of the SC, I still get 2 MPG less. Of course it gets worse if I play. :)

Before the SC I used to get to 200 before the fuel light turned on. Now with the SC, my light comes on at 170. At 30 difference and 15 gallons, that equates to 2 m/g loss.

So, does a 2 m/g loss sound normal for a SC? I guess I should also mention that this is pretty much city/back road driving only. I rarely get on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Youre driving a stock 2008 TT with a SC and getting 11.33MPG?!?

(If not, this is why major items on your rig in your signature are helpful)

With my rig close back to stock i get 20MPG with the stuff in my signature.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why don't you try resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for ten minutes. Do you have bigger tires or a bigger bumpers? The MPG doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've read a few posts where some said that their MPG didn't change much if they kept their foot out of the SC. For me, even when I try to stay out of the SC, I still get 2 MPG less. Of course it gets worse if I play. :)

Before the SC I used to get to 200 before the fuel light turned on. Now with the SC, my light comes on at 170. At 30 difference and 15 gallons, that equates to 2 m/g loss.

So, does a 2 m/g loss sound normal for a SC? I guess I should also mention that this is pretty much city/back road driving only. I rarely get on the freeway.
doesn't sound right your MPG you should look in to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/119773-fuel-mileage-7.html

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sig was getting a bit long so I made it really short. :)

But here are the major items I have that would effect MPG.

08 TT 6MT | Gobi Rack/Ladder/Toolbox(x2) | ICON Stage 1 | Richochet Front Bash Plate/Engine Skid Plate | stock 265/75/16 D BFG KOs | TRD Supercharger

Again, city driving mostly, very short trips.

Youre driving a stock 2008 TT with a SC and getting 11.33MPG?!?...

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure I've had the battery unplugged since I've had the SC in, but I'll try it again.

Stock BFG KO's 265/75/16 D. Stock bumpers.

Why don't you try resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for ten minutes. Do you have bigger tires or a bigger bumpers? The MPG doesn't sound right to me.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my gauges re-installed, so I'll be monitoring the coolant temp for the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
My sig was getting a bit long so I made it really short. :)

But here are the major items I have that would effect MPG.

08 TT 6MT | Gobi Rack/Ladder/Toolbox(x2) | ICON Stage 1 | Richochet Front Bash Plate/Engine Skid Plate | stock 265/75/16 D BFG KOs | TRD Supercharger

Again, city driving mostly, very short trips.
Yeah, still, you should be getting a bare minimum of 15MPG with a heavy foot of city driving with those mods and especially that sized tire.

I never got below 15mpg with an ARB, 285BFGs on steel wheels, skids, rock rails, 3inch lift, bajarack, etc. in the city. My HWY wasn't much better though, i got about 16 on the HWY.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never gotten 15 with this vehicle city driving, even when stock, brand new, more like 13. I've never been impressed with the heater either. I'm starting to think bad thermostat here. I'll be monitoring the coolant temp for the next week.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I've never gotten 15 with this vehicle city driving, even when stock, brand new, more like 13. I've never been impressed with the heater either. I'm starting to think bad thermostat here. I'll be monitoring the coolant temp for the next week.
You have a scangaugeII? I missed it if you did.

Not sure how cold it is up there, but i am guessing "very" :)
When it is down into the 30s or so, my truck would run a pretty consistent 180. In the warmer days, about 186.

Also what is your tire pressure at? I normally run my truck at 40PSI.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aeroforce Interceptors. It's about 34 right now. Current tire pressure is at 35.

You have a scangaugeII? I missed it if you did.

Not sure how cold it is up there, but i am guessing "very" :)
When it is down into the 30s or so, my truck would run a pretty consistent 180. In the warmer days, about 186.

Also what is your tire pressure at? I normally run my truck at 40PSI.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a test run today. This was a city/back road route, no freeway. Never exceeded 50 m/h. This is typical for me.

An Aeroforce Interceptor gauge was used to monitor the coolant temp. Here are the results.

Outside Temp: 31 deg
Travel: 8.8 miles
Average speed: 45 m/h
No faults reported by the Interceptor.

Coolant temp made it to 181 by 2.6 miles. It then dropped to 177. I had very short peaks of 183 and lows of 176. For most of the drive, the coolant temp stayed at 177. Sometimes it would jump to 181, but would return to 177.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've only had one trip where my mileage was down to 11-12 mpg. That was in late October of this year. West out of Texas on I-10 at about 85 MPH with a full load of campling equipment in the FJ and bucking a head wind.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've read through your SC/MPG posts, and I've never had MPG numbers like you, especially since putting the SC in. :(

I'm going to replace the thermostat and see if that helps.

I assume since my mileage is so bad, that a lot of fuel is being sent out the tail pipe. I'm concerned that my cats will fail early and I'm not going to be able to pass DEQ.

I've only had one trip where my mileage was down to 11-12 mpg. That was in late October of this year. West out of Texas on I-10 at about 85 MPH with a full load of campling equipment in the FJ and bucking a head wind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have the ability to read EGT's and air/fuel with your gauges? If so I would send those numbers to Gadget and see what he could do for you. If you need a thermostat I have one off my 4runner when I installed the X1.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have the sensor to read air/fuel with my gauges.

PM me about the thermostat.

Do you have the ability to read EGT's and air/fuel with your gauges? If so I would send those numbers to Gadget and see what he could do for you. If you need a thermostat I have one off my 4runner when I installed the X1.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got back from a freeway run to pick up some rims.

Outside temp: 32 deg
Coolant temp: 181-185, 183 most of the time. Did drop to 177 sometimes when not on the freeway. Like when I stopped at a rest stop.
At 1/2 tank of gas, I was at 125.6 miles. (total trip was ~143 miles)
65 most of the time, using cruise control.

Engine seemed to running fine. This is the first "long" trip I've taken since I put the SC in.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there an easy way to tell whether or not you actually got the SC flash and what flash you got?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is there an easy way to tell whether or not you actually got the SC flash and what flash you got?
They should've put a new sticker under your hood after the reflash.

With my TRD SC on an '08 6MT lifted and running 33's, I got a steady combined MPG of 15.3 and I drive with a very heavy foot.

From what I've read of Gadget's posts, the TRD maps are running all over the place on A/F mix.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts