Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how you guys feel about the pan and tc accuracy? Every time I start my fj up cold, even after two days, the pan and tc both read about 22 degrees hotter than the outside temp. Anyone else have similar findings or am I missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to figure out if the transmission is picking up heat from somewhere but first thing in the morning at 63 degrees out it shows 87 in the pan and 89 torque converter yesterday. Today I started it up at 12pm. The outside temp was 102 and the pan was 125 and the tc was 128. This is 5 seconds after it starts both times. The engine water temp is usually exactly what the ambient temp is.

The trans pan seems to cool somewhat quickly too when parked.

Wondering if my temp of 225 at some points is actually closer to 200? It would make me feel a little better.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
G'Day,
checked mine this morning, after reading your post.
At dead cold, engine hadn't been started for 48 hours....
Ambient temp was 16 Celsius, pan n torque both read 13C at start up.

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so after checking and looking at the x-gauge codes I realized I somehow made a mistake on the input. Somehow on the end of the MTH number I accidentally hit FF70 on both the pan and tc instead on FE70. Not sure how in the world I screwed up on both especially since I input the codes on different days and double checked them (I thought). But all is good now and they’re reading accurately. They were in fact reading about 30 plus degrees high all the time so the hottest temp I’ve experienced while towing in 95 degree heat was probably about 220ish at the tc and 200 ish in the pan. I feel a little better now.

So does anyone know or use any other x gauge codes on their 2007 fj? I thinking about trying the engine oil temp tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Ok so after checking and looking at the x-gauge codes I realized I somehow made a mistake on the input. Somehow on the end of the MTH number I accidentally hit FF70 on both the pan and tc instead on FE70. Not sure how in the world I screwed up on both especially since I input the codes on different days and double checked them (I thought). But all is good now and they’re reading accurately. They were in fact reading about 30 plus degrees high all the time so the hottest temp I’ve experienced while towing in 95 degree heat was probably about 220ish at the tc and 200 ish in the pan. I feel a little better now.

So does anyone know or use any other x gauge codes on their 2007 fj? I thinking about trying the engine oil temp tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the FJ doesn't have an engine oil temp sensor ..so you wont get a reading....
I use the water temp code for the third, and DTE for fuel as my fourth

Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,728 Posts

If you ever figure out oil temp and pressure, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one that would like to know!

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
If you ever figure out oil temp and pressure, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one that would like to know!
Gday A,
The only solution I came up with for engine temp, was an after market digital sensor gauge...
Bolted it to the block....
I did consider trying to modify the oil filter to sandwich a sensor in, to get oil temp....but haven't followed thru with that.
Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,728 Posts
Gday A,
The only solution I came up with for engine temp, was an after market digital sensor gauge...
Bolted it to the block....
I did consider trying to modify the oil filter to sandwich a sensor in, to get oil temp....but haven't followed thru with that.
Cheers
Baz
Yeah - not keen on doing that... If there isn't a replaceable bung or other location for oil pressure (prob more important than temp TBH) then I'd rather not fabricobble something together... Oil p155ing all over the sand in the middle of the desert isn't a great thing to happen...

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Yeah - not keen on doing that... If there isn't a replaceable bung or other location for oil pressure (prob more important than temp TBH) then I'd rather not fabricobble something together... Oil p155ing all over the sand in the middle of the desert isn't a great thing to happen...
Gday A,
I agree ...tinkering with the oil filter isn't a good idea .....
There isn't a Bung, that I know of,... Maybe @FJtest can confirm if there is something ...but I think he has already stated there isn't....
Oil leaking any where isn't a great thing..:lol:
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, the FJ doesn't have an engine oil temp sensor ..so you wont get a reading....

I use the water temp code for the third, and DTE for fuel as my fourth

Cheers

Baz

Would you be able to post distance to empty? I’m not finding it.

·
Desert Moderator
6,728 Posts
Gday A,
I agree ...tinkering with the oil filter isn't a good idea .....
There isn't a Bung, that I know of,... Maybe @FJtest can confirm if there is something ...but I think he has already stated there isn't....
Oil leaking any where isn't a great thing..:lol:
Cheers
Baz
The low pressure sender unit could be replaced or a T connector put in there so you could have LP warning AND actual pressure readings. I have read that the normal pressure is all over the place on the 1GRFE though and could lead to confusion...

Here's a 2016 thread for '10+ https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/521953-how-add-oil-pressure-gauge-2010-2014-fj-cruiser.html

Here's a PDF on oil pressure: http://4runnerclub.com/i/4r_files/fsm/ToyManuals-2007-4Runner/toyfsrm/07toyrm/07toypdf/07rmsour/4runnerr/00301610.pdf not sure which version of 1GR-FE that is for though, but contradicts the comment that I saw elsewhere regarding oil pressure variability. I'd prefer to stick to the Yota docs for my info though.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
@dabeyta3 can you post the code for the transmission pan temp? I was under the impression it was not available for our '07 models. I've tried a few times to get the right code but never could. I even emailed back and forth with scangauge customer service quite a bit and could never get it to report that temp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@dabeyta3 can you post the code for the transmission pan temp? I was under the impression it was not available for our '07 models. I've tried a few times to get the right code but never could. I even emailed back and forth with scangauge customer service quite a bit and could never get it to report that temp.

Yeah it works great on my 07. Let me know how it works on yours. Got this from scangauge.

TXD
07E021D9
RXF
RXD
MTH
00070064FE70
Name
TPT

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Yeah it works great on my 07. Let me know how it works on yours. Got this from scangauge.

TXD
07E021D9
RXF
RXD
MTH
00070064FE70
Name
TPT

Hey thanks! Unfortunately that is the same code customer service gave me. I tried typing it in probably half a dozen times and could not get it to work. The only difference is they gave the name of TF2. I don't think that would change anything but I might give it another try sometime anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey thanks! Unfortunately that is the same code customer service gave me. I tried typing it in probably half a dozen times and could not get it to work. The only difference is they gave the name of TF2. I don't think that would change anything but I might give it another try sometime anyway.

That’s weird, it works perfect in my 07. Do you have the a750f transmission? And version 4.50 on the scan gauge?

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
That’s weird, it works perfect in my 07. Do you have the a750f transmission? And version 4.50 on the scan gauge?

Yeah IDK why it won't work. Mine was pretty early build in 03/06. Same trans and V4.13 on the S.G. Dunno how to update it, and the rep said the version doesn't matter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah IDK why it won't work. Mine was pretty early build in 03/06. Same trans and V4.13 on the S.G. Dunno how to update it, and the rep said the version doesn't matter.

My fj is 4/07.

Here’s a pic of mine driving through town a bit ago. I guess the pan isn’t as important since the tc is always hotter anyways.

·
Desert Moderator
6,728 Posts
G'Day Mate,
DTE is a standard Scan code, not a specific PID ... it should be in the main menu
Tks
Baz
Wait - What? DTE? How is that being calculated on SG? Same as Torque Pro with manual notification of fillup/fuel level and capacity then reading the injector PIDs or is it able to interrogate the fuel sender unit?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts