Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many things about the scan guages but the information is very scattered.

Was hoping people with the SGs would post up about what they like, don't like, would like to change and whether anyone knows if you can add things like oil pressure, transmission temperature, etc to it.

Also, would like to see where everyone installed theirs for ideas. Pics would be very handy.

Really appreciate anyone's and everyone's experiences with this.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I like mine very much. Once you get it set correctly, it keeps very accurate mpg readings. Ex: I gassed up today and the scanguage reported 18.6 mpg for the tank. Actual calculation was 18.73 mpg. The only thing I don't like about it - I think the backlight could be brighter to make it easier to read during daylight.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
what I recently learned about the scanguage is that it only takes information from the computer. What I'm looking for is real time readings not something logged from the puter. We have big tires...know we need to regear very very soon...but it'd be nice to see what our speed, mileage, gas mileage and so on before we regeared it. I was very interested in purchasing it...but think we'll need to hold off until we regear and know we're accurate again.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Did they get there "glitched shipment" straightened out? A few months ago there were several complaints about newly shipped units. People were plugging them in a freaky stuff was happening with dash lights and alarms. The reports were only for a couple weeks and then the thread died.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
wow... that's um well scary

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I love mine, have it set to watch the Intake Air, MPG, LOD, MPH.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I think I read elsewhere that this had been taken care of.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
It's definitely on my wish list after I get this whole "wheels and tires" thing decided on. My lift sets my truck apart from stock...But aftermarket wheels would be a clincher. I had a guy in a Ss last week looking under the front fender to see "just what I did to get the nose off the ground".....he said he knew it was different but just wasn't sure what it was that was different.....lol. he wrote down the forum addy before he got in his FJ..... One down......Thousands to go.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
what I recently learned about the scanguage is that it only takes information from the computer. What I'm looking for is real time readings not something logged from the puter. We have big tires...know we need to regear very very soon...but it'd be nice to see what our speed, mileage, gas mileage and so on before we regeared it. I was very interested in purchasing it...but think we'll need to hold off until we regear and know we're accurate again.
You can adjust the scanguage to compensate for different tires, gearing, etc. You may need a GPS to determine your actual speed; then you calibrate the SG accordingly.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I like it alot, I'd only change the asthetics of it if anything, mabey a color option besides black box. other than that it does what it's supposed to do.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
AFAIK, the batch of defective units has been recalled, and all units shipped over the past month have been fine (according to the ScanGauge folks). Mine was shipped about a week after the reports of defective units, and mine is perfectly fine.

I've got mine velcroed (sp?) to the top of the steering column, far enough foward to tilt the wheel without bumping the dash. The only dash item it obscures is the tripometer, and I can see and reset that by peering over the top of the unit slightly.

I like the real-time readings, especially the constant MPG readings and also what I have programmed as 'DTE' (Distance Til Empty).

However, I wish there were codes available for all of the other Toyota-specific computer codes (oil temp, etc.). I'm sure that those settings are in the on-board computer, but mapping them to the ScanGauge is impossible without the specific codes. And, I'm sure that it will have to be up to us consumers to come up with those mappings.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
You can adjust the scanguage to compensate for different tires, gearing, etc. You may need a GPS to determine your actual speed; then you calibrate the SG accordingly.
this is very god to know... it's now on my "to get" list... it'd be really nice to know where i'm at... speed, mpg... I think I'm off by 10% but I hate doing math :rofl: thanks:wave:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great information so far. As for pulling the information from the computer, I think there are a couple of real tech guys on the forum that may have some good information on how to get this information. That, or we need a copy of Toyota's computer code diagnostic/maintenance manual to be able to tell the guage what it should be looking for.

Anyone with pics?

I'm building an aluminum bracket for my future scanguage that will use the oh $hit handle holes on the driver's side windshield piller. This bracket will also have an extension to hold my phone and GPS, all low enough to hopefully avoid becoming a secondary missile in the case of a windshield/curtain airbag deployment. Better that I re-enforce the whole setup so it doesn't kill me when the balloons inflate. ;)

Great information so far. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome and will actually make this a very valuable thread for the future.

I knowthere are a couple of guys out there that have installed them in an overhead center console. Those look pretty good too and may cut down on the sun glare someone posted about earlier.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
One thing that I would luv (even as an add on) is being able to set HI-LOW warning alarms (audible or visual). So I can set certain peramiters (Hi temp, low battery...etc).
I would also like be able to see oil temp, oil press info. Tranny temp would be a real plus.

When I first bought my SGII they where supose to come out with a add on unit that recorded all your perforamce info onto a flash card. And you can uploaded to see it on your pc. I wonder what ever happen. That is what the second port on the SGII is for.

Everything else is great. I have the earlier SGII with the first firmware.

·
Registered
413 Posts
SG works great. Always referring to it for something. Trip gages helpful too. Clears occasional glitches from locking gas cap. No problems/complaints.

Wish list might include added functions on another button. Like remembering several favorite displays, and toggling between them. Example: would like gauges, tank display, and fill-up to just toggle so number of button and menu entry selections could be reduced when changing between favorite things to see/do.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is one of the best installs I have seen! Nice work on the console!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts