Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it arrived in the mail today...finally. Not gonna lie, the box was ripped open within seconds of receiving the package and installed within the next 5 minutes.

It was a super easy install...all i did was mount it left of the steering column on the silver side-panel and ran the cord down through the column and zip-tied the excess cord to some bracket out of view. It looks very clean and there was very little work required for the install...piece of cake! Sooner or later I want to mount it up on the ceiling possibly with SwissArmySUV's maplight/scangaugeII mount. Does anyone know if that unit he fabricated is still for sale?

Anyways, as soon as I took out the FJ and put the gauge to use, I instantly fell in love with all this new real-time info I was getting while driving. I sincerely feel that if theres anything out there that I could have bought to help me save gas, this was it!

Any of you guys have similar appreciation for the ScanGauge II?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
lots and lots of love for the Scangauge in here. And yes the overhead console/lights is very much for sale.....Its an advertised item that comes up at the top of the page now and then....Cool item. Just do a search on Swiss Army and you will find it easy enough.

Here ya go....Swiss is now hooked up as a "supporting vendor".... The thread is called ---- Overhead map light install (lots of pics and details)-----

·
Registered
761 Posts
lots and lots of love for the Scangauge in here. And yes the overhead console/lights is very much for sale.....Its an advertised item that comes up at the top of the page now and then....Cool item. Just do a search on Swiss Army and you will find it easy enough.

Here ya go....Swiss is now hooked up as a "supporting vendor".... The thread is called ---- Overhead map light install (lots of pics and details)-----

Thanks for the plug!

I have decided I do not like my scangauge ... as I was pulling a boat and while accelerating last week, I kept seeing 6-7 mpg (ouch)! However on the bright side, if I was going down hill and took my foot off the gas ... wow, 9999 mpg.

Two of the features I really like that I have on display are the "gallons used" and "miles left on the current tank" .. really helps me gauge where/when I want to make the next fuel stop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the plug!

I have decided I do not like my scangauge ... as I was pulling a boat and while accelerating last week, I kept seeing 6-7 mpg (ouch)! However on the bright side, if I was going down hill and took my foot off the gas ... wow, 9999 mpg.
Yea i know what you mean, it does reveal a sad truth about gas usage...the real-time mpg doesn't mean too much to me, its the average mpg that will really make me realize

Yup, eventually I will get around to that overhead map-light install, and when I do, SwissArmySUV you can expect a message from me.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Where are you guys buying the ScanGauge from????

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are you guys buying the ScanGauge from????
I bought mine directly from the ScanGaugeII website. However if i had the chance to buy it over again I would have used amazon. I didn't know amazon had them for sale but its $10 less than MSRP and with free shipping so I would go with that.

heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAMY86

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Thanks. With the price of gas at almost 1.40/litre I am sure it wouldnt take long to pay for itself.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Guys, i just ordered Scangauge from amazon. honestly i'm not sure if my vehicle is equipped with OBDII as i heard that cars in the US market is different than the cars here and follow different rules and terms in manufacturing. my question (might be stupid) how can i figure out whether i have the OBDII? is it plug & play? or do i need a special connection/cord/cable to connect it to the OBDII?

thank you in advance :wave:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have "do it yourself" auto part stores? The ones around here "advance auto" "auto zone" will hook up a gauge to check engine fault codes, and they do it with no fee. You might check it out.

FJ Woods

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Two of the features I really like that I have on display are the "gallons used" and "miles left on the current tank" .. really helps me gauge where/when I want to make the next fuel stop.

How do you get the "gallons used" on display. I've been trying to set it up on my scan gauge but it won't come up.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Guys, i just ordered Scangauge from amazon. honestly i'm not sure if my vehicle is equipped with OBDII as i heard that cars in the US market is different than the cars here and follow different rules and terms in manufacturing. my question (might be stupid) how can i figure out whether i have the OBDII? is it plug & play? or do i need a special connection/cord/cable to connect it to the OBDII?

thank you in advance :wave:
Here is a good reference for OBDII.

OBDII - On-Board Diagnostic's System - Does My Car Have OBD-II? The Connector and Communications.

On the FJ the OBD-II connector is located under the dash (driver side)/back of the fuse block and covered by a plastic plug with OBD-II marking on the top.

The OBD-II connector on your vehicle should match the Scangauge II cable/plug.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The Scangauge II cable is long enough so I mounted the unit on top of the rear view mirror using 3M double sided tape.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
One day when I have the time, (yeah....right...) I plan on designing my own OBDII system for either an in car computer, (full graphics, custom programming) or a standalone, maybe full colour lcd version. I have most of the information I need to start this project - but until my company gets off the ground - it will have to wait...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts