Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my ScanGauge II. I still have to connect to the car and try it. But, where to mount it to have easy access and visibility? Maybe just in front of the instruments behind the steering wheel or...?

bye

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
This is how I mounted mine(pics are not mine but it looks exactly the same)

[/

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
X2 looks factory... Swiss army rocks

BirdMan

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Some have mounted it above the steering wheel in front of the instrument panel, and others have mounted it on the silver panel below the left dash vent as well. Then there are a few custom installs in overhead consoles, etc...

DEWFPO

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mounted mine on top of the steering column. I can still see the odometer. Very good place for it.
Ok I tested the device and it works ;) I will post some details in a separate thread.

Now, my doubt is: which path should the cable follow, how to hide and fix it, where to "store" the "excess" cable that I am not using?

Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the Scangauge II show reduced MPG when you are lugging the engine?
I am not sure I understand here. Can you explain?

Of course, when I use the engine as a brake to slow down, or press the clutch, the MPG goes up, but what you ask here is what happens if I put a high gear like 4th or 5th at slow speed and press the accelerator? Well of course I would expect the MPG to go down, isn't that reasonable?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
In order to try and get a bit more MPG, I've been trying to use the highest gear, but at a lower RPM, like 1500 when cruising. 90% of the time I'm driving under 50 MPH. I've been wondering, if for certain speeds, I may be going too low in the RPM (lugging) range and actually hurting my MPG. For example, If I'm cruising at 45 MPH, what gear should I be in? 4th, 5th, 6th? and at what RPM for the optimal use of fuel? I was hoping that the Scanguage might be able to help me find those sweet spots when cruising at specific MPH. Of course if I needed to accelerate, I would drop to a lower gear instead of just mashing on it.

I am not sure I understand here. Can you explain?

Of course, when I use the engine as a brake to slow down, or press the clutch, the MPG goes up, but what you ask here is what happens if I put a high gear like 4th or 5th at slow speed and press the accelerator? Well of course I would expect the MPG to go down, isn't that reasonable?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In order to try and get a bit more MPG, I've been trying to use the highest gear, but at a lower RPM, like 1500 when cruising.
Oh now I understand. Well I'll have to do some more tests to find the best compromise. The fact is anyway, that you'll be cruising on the freeway at 55 or 65MPH, so the 6th gear is the one you want to use most of the time...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
For the OP I would suggest you use your search function and look for installation threads. Lots of pics and details about mounting, fixing and hiding the wires. Ofcourse once you choose how you are going to do it we always LOVE pics......

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I believe you have to have a 96 an older vehicle.
1996 or NEWER vehicles equipped with an OBD II port under the dash (a very few 1995 models have one too...)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Off topic, sorry!

Does the Scangauge II show reduced MPG when you are lugging the engine?
Yes - the Scangauge II can display active readings of MPG, so you can instantly see the effect different driving situations and styles have on your mileage. It also displays cumulative mileage, daily mileage, and trip mileage, so you can see the results of your technique.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Ok I tested the device and it works ;) I will post some details in a separate thread.

Now, my doubt is: which path should the cable follow, how to hide and fix it, where to "store" the "excess" cable that I am not using?

Thanks
I routed mine from the OBDII port, straight up to the steering column on the inside of the dash. If you have hands smaller than Shaq's, you should be OK with getting the wire up there. It is a bit tight, though. If you look from the foot well upwards, you can see daylight coming from the steering column area.

After you get it all plugged in and working OK, just take a couple of zip ties and tie the excess cable to anything stable under there. I used the hood release cable to tie it down to. Or, if you plan on removing it to use in other vehicles, use twist ties, like what ties the wrapper on a loaf of bread shut.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I routed mine from the OBDII port, straight up to the steering column on the inside of the dash.
Thank you very much.

Have you used the port on the back of the scangauge for this setup? And applied the velcro on the bottom of the device to the steering column I guess.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I run mine to the left on the silver panel. I did not like the way it looked from the passenger side. It looks like it is just thrown up there.
Mine is velcroed to the silver panel and the wire runs to the steering column, the excess is zip tied together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts