Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that are using a Scangauge, aside from having much more information at your disposal, what if any of the information is "useful". Or are you benefiting from aside from just having it available?

Oil/Water temp information off roading?

Have you improved your MPG by knowing your gas mileage instantly instead of each fill-up?

I like the idea of more information, don't get me wrong, but what immediate benefits are from it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I think having the MPG info displayed on a continual basis has contributed to me being able to squeeze more miles out of each tank of gas. This especially applies to city driving. I really watch how hard I accelerate from stoplight to stoplight now. It is also evident that mileage really suffers when I go over 70 MPH and it is kind of nice to the quick feedback when experimenting with driving habits/styles. Code reader is nice as well.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
For the 4 gauges, I display water temp, intake temp, gas mileage and voltage. I don't think it's helped my gas mileage, I still do a quick calculation every time I fill up in my head. With mods gas mileage suffers anyway, I barely have to touch the gas pedal to see if drop below 15mpg real time. I've always thought of water temp as a good first indicator that there's something major wrong. I've never seen it change other than warming up to 190F. It stays on target within 2-3 degrees. The intake temp will rise if you're filter is clogged, letting you know it's time for a change/clean. I just put a snorkel on recently, and before the intake temp was about 10-15 degrees above ambient, now it's about 5-7 above. It will heat soak in warm weather though...

I guess I'm just an information junky...

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I use it for the MPG, Water Temp, etc. and helped buddies with find out what codes they were throwing. Speed is a great one too with 35" tires.

It has helped me keep my foot out of the pedal and drive better as nothing hurts like seeing your mileage drop down to 7mpg and flying by gas stations that have happy faces with $3.00 gas/gallon signs!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks guys. I'm debating buying one, that's why I ask.

I will say, my wife's car provides instant MPG feedback, and it does make a difference in driving habits to squeeze a bit more mileage out of the tank. Not that I'm expecting miracles in the FJ, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The Scangauge has offered several benefits to me, both on-road and off-road:

1) I can monitor my mileage live, and adjust driving style accordingly - got me about 1 mpg just for paying attention to the way I use the gas pedal.

2) Water / intake air temp info is very important, and a good way to know about an impending problem. You can watch how outside temps affect fuel consumption and performance to better judge your driving range off road, and rising water temps notify you of potential overheat / added stress issues with the engine before a failure occurs.

3) Distance to empty fuel readings really helps you judge remaining fuel available off-road - mpg doesn't matter when going very slow, so fuel consumption, and remaining distance help make you sure you can finish the trip.

4) Code reading is very useful - sometimes a CEL code will trigger from a non-critical event, such as a random misfire when off-roading. Being able to check the code for significance, and clear it to see if it recurs, can reduce the mental stress of not knowing what's wrong or if it's safe to continue driving.

5) You can monitor the cost of a trip - helped me to decide against random trips to the store when I know each one cost me $10, or whatever...

The Scangauge is the best tool for the money, IMO, and every vehicle that doesn't have this capacity built in from the factory should install one...:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Engine temps.

You can accurately measure to the degree what the engine is running at. The SLIGHTEST problem of overheating (if it were to occur) you can know about immediately. Being able to prevent any engine damage from a possible overheat might save you a couple grand. It also lets you know once you engine has fully warmed up in the cold mornings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not disaplinned enough to squeeze out better MPG. But what I use mine for is to monitor water temp, speed (my speedo reads 2mph higher than the SC or my GPS), miles to empty, fuel used, trip mpg (although I don't try to do better after knowing I could), cost of trip. I made a small bracket to ount my sc to & mounted it under the sunvisor swivel bracket. It is out of the way & easy to reach with out taking my eyes off the road. The only problem with this is that it is not easy to remove to hookup to another vehicle if needed for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One cool feature I like to add that nobody has mentioned is the horsepower reading. I am planning on modding my vehicle so this function will tell me if I am getting the additional HP. I maxed out at 305HP on a stock 2010.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Also as far as warning you of an overheat condition occuring it will also tell you if your coolant temp. is too low. Letting you know that your thermostat has failed. This of coarse will cause your mpg to drop.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
One cool feature I like to add that nobody has mentioned is the horsepower reading. I am planning on modding my vehicle so this function will tell me if I am getting the additional HP. I maxed out at 305HP on a stock 2010.
The HP reading is not accurate by any means FYI. Do a google search if you want proof. It's just a random guess. As you can tell by your 305HP on a stock rig. This reading is worthless.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
The HP reading is not accurate by any means FYI. Do a google search if you want proof. It's just a random guess. As you can tell by your 305HP on a stock rig. This reading is worthless.
So are you saying I really don't have 400HP? :rofl:
I sent mine in to get the update for that feature. Needless to say I was disappointed when I tried it.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
So are you saying I really don't have 400HP? :rofl:
I sent mine in to get the update for that feature. Needless to say I was disappointed when I tried it.
Same here.
I have the newest ( i think version) that has the xgauge features where you can program stuff in like the HP and it is definitely off.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
What is normally on my ScangaugeII display;

·
Registered
952 Posts
Larry summed it up pretty well. SG is very useful a little tool to have.
x2

Changes your driving habits = pays for itself

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok stupid question - how the heck does it know how many gallons of gas I have left to determine miles to empty? Is it just a guess, or pretty accurate?

·
Registered
655 Posts
ok stupid question - how the heck does it know how many gallons of gas I have left to determine miles to empty? Is it just a guess, or pretty accurate?
You have to train your scangauge...

You fill up the truck and tell the scangauge. When you fill up again, it will tell you how much it thinks you have put in and you reajust with how much you realy have put in...

I'm about more or less 2L off the mark each time.

Same adjustment can as to be made for the speed when you first get it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Scanguage = WIN

Besides being able to check out codes..

I normally have Air Intake, Water, MPH (35's through the dash one off), and MPG.

Being able to see the temps is huge IMO.. I was on a camping trip early spring and the air intake was reading 125°F no way something is wrong.. popped the hood to find the latch on the stock filter housing busted.. :( But I knew it immediately. Changed out for TRD CIA.. few months later... start up the rig.. throws up code for MAF sensor pop the hood.. the hose clamp had slipped letting raw air in before the MAF. so yeah it is something worth having.

·
Registered
79 Posts
3) Distance to empty fuel readings really helps you judge remaining fuel available off-road - mpg doesn't matter when going very slow, so fuel consumption, and remaining distance help make you sure you can finish the trip.
Mine just says "0.0" on the distance to empty, I thought maybe it wasn't set up for the FJ. How do I get it to show up? Any way to have it showing on the "Guage" setting (along with MPG, RPM, Temp)?

Thanks, only had mine a short time, and thought I might be missing something!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts