Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 320 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the exception of special forces trained vets and Alaskan fur trappers (yeah, I watch the Discovery Channel), I scoff at doomers / zombie apocalypse / survivalist fantasizers / gun mastrubaters / Mad Max watching lip waxing Burning Man Tech Bros / back earth organic homesteaders / myself. Emergency preparedness is a far cry from tacti-fashion (see what I did there?) wait it out surviving deep in the woods Y2k (remember that?) aspirations.

Let's be real. Sooner or later a wouldbe survivalist is going to have to confront the "mob" and given a mob large enough (and intent enough) an armed FJ'er isn't going to stand a chance. Urbanite yupsters like myself are pretty much 'effed and suburbanites aren't much better off post disaster.

Eventually though, waves of urban refugees are going to crash upon the shores of whatever rural survivalist utopia is in reach and what then? Consider that these will be desperate people in need. People who speak your language, who look like you, women and children. Would you shoot them all? Keep in mind that these are innocent people, innocent people that you probably don't want killing all of the game in your area, consuming the limited supply of clean water trickling down from the fast diminishing snow pack.

Like the OP says back on page 2, you can't really hope to scare people away with warning shots.

If you're reading this, you have access to internet, electricity, Amazon and other consumer outlets and are likely within range of the "mob". So, realistically, if The Big One hits, what do you do?

- Robot

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
It's not all about the mobs and the hordes and that crap. Here in WY we can get winter storms that shut down roads for hours, days, or even a couple of weeks. Lots of truckers and travelers get stuck in town. It doesn't take long for the grocery supplies in stores, restaurants, etc. to run low with the new way of only stocking shelves when a delivery is made and not having a storage room full of stock in the back. Having supplies to make it through a week or two, a month or even more is only smart. As far as running to the woods and hiding, most on here aren't planning to do that unless it's a last resort or it's their only chance. Staying at home with supplies of food and water is going to be a lot easier than trying to load stuff up and leave. If you don't advertise that you're supplied and sitting good, then how are people going to know? If the power is out in the neighborhood, don't be the guy with the noisy generator running and all the house lights on in the middle of the night. Don't be the guy out BBQ'ing steaks every afternoon where the smell is going to carry around the neighborhood and it's possible that the smoke might be seen. It takes a little common sense, but then again I understand that common sense isn't so common anymore. People survived for many years with their owned canned foods, animals they hunted and raised, and small gardens. With a little preparedness and stocking up on stuff they can still do the same. As far as guns, I rather have some and at least have the option of protecting myself than just giving up.

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
Camp. Teach your kids to at least survive a week in the bush. Have the basics for tenting at your disposal. Stoves, lights, tent, sleeping bags, etc.

Tenting IS survival preparedness in my opinion. Maybe not the most I can do, but at least it's something... and it's fun! Lol.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,250 Posts
What do the nukes in Israel have to do with the ones in Turkey? Is our base on lockdown there as well? Was there a recent coup attempt? Were our people warned if they left, they'd be shot down? Did it turn into an Islamic Nation as well? :huh:

Where's Jack Bauer when you need him? :grin

Hey Robot, what part of SF are you from? Emergency Prep's are the key to survival as BIGGUY stated and why. Don't you remember the '89 quake? Are you even old enough to remember?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's not all about the mobs and the hordes and that crap. Here in WY we can get winter storms that shut down roads for hours, days, or even a couple of weeks.
Good points, forgive my reflexive and snarky response to some of the Doomer-ish things I was reading in this thread. My question is an honest one though, aside from my week or so of backpacking supplies, I'm at a loss in the event of a major disaster here in the Bay Area. Thinking back to Hurricane Katrina, I know some pretty ugly (and heroic) things went down after the citizens of New Orleans was more or less left for dead, and I can imagine similar ugliness (and heroics) going down here in the Bay Area after a major infrastructure destroying earthquake.

I'd be very interested to hear from people who've been through a major disaster. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, my Kansas raised grandparents used to tell me about living through the Great Depression and the Dustbowl and though I can't imagine surviving such an epic disaster, they and their neighbors made it through and then went on to win an 'effin world war!
Hey Robot, what part of SF are you from? Emergency Prep's are the key to survival as BIGGUY stated and why. Don't you remember the '89 quake? Are you even old enough to remember?
I'm actually in the the Peoples Republic of Berkeley, LOL. I'm old enough to vaguely recall the '89 quake but I was sporting a sweet rattail and learning to ride a bicycle back in Oregon ;)

·
A-Team Moderator
8,250 Posts
At least Berkeley is not as bad as being in the City when the next big one hits. My advice, keep a bag/pack in the FJ and another at work if you can. A gas tank half full is the new empty and don't forget a crowbar and walking shoes/boots. ;)

Go check out the EDC carry thread in this section.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
What do the nukes in Israel have to do with the ones in Turkey? Is our base on lockdown there as well? Was there a recent coup attempt? Were our people warned if they left, they'd be shot down? Did it turn into an Islamic Nation as well? :huh:
The nukes in Turkey are US and are fine - the unrest there is civil for now, with some insurgency mostly in the border areas with occasional attacks in Istanbul & Ankara.
Long term, I'm sure they will be moved out as Russia strengthens its grip on Turkey.

Israel is a completely different kettle of fish - they have some hostile neighbours in Gaza, and the insurgency in Syria is providing some cross-border action with islamist groups taking pot shots, then getting their asses handed to them, but Hezbollah (southern Lebanon) is mostly occupied with propping up the Assad regime in Syria under orders from their Iranian masters, and aren't so bothered with Israel right now. Egypt & Jordan are friendly(ish) neighbours, while Saudi Arabia is non-hostile militarily. Egypt has an insurgency issue in the Sinai and Libyan border areas to deal with. The Israeli nukes are in the Negev desert, well away from any hostilities, and are domestically produced (with US & UK assistance) and managed. Their purpose is not for minor border skirmishes or general insurgency, but as a deterrent for large scale national conflict (namely Iran).

The alliances & politics in the Middle Eastern politics are a complete mind**** - it is what it is.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Camp. Teach your kids to at least survive a week in the bush. Have the basics for tenting at your disposal. Stoves, lights, tent, sleeping bags, etc.

Tenting IS survival preparedness in my opinion. Maybe not the most I can do, but at least it's something... and it's fun! Lol.
You're completely correct there. Let's assume the power, gas, & water went out right now. Could you cook a meal? Boil water? Damn straight you could. Could a non-camper? Probably not.
Campers have water storage, food storage, food preparation... and practicla experience using it. They can build appropriate sized fires, cook over them etc.
After the Christchurch Earthquakes (My home town), my mother was visiting us and asked if we were prepared for any emergency, to which I said it depends what kind of emergency, but yeah, we are prepared without being obsessed about it.

The most likely scenarios here are:

1) Flooding - This happens regularly and causes travel chaos. some houses flood out, some cars drown, sometimes power is lost. Are we prepared? yeah - last floods this year were pretty severe, but our place is on relatively high ground and the power stayed on. We have 2 Toyota SUVs, both rated for 70cm standing water, but in practice can do over 100cm.
2) Power outage - Main use for power is the electric oven, lighting, A/C & refrigeration. Mitigation: solar lights, many LED battery powered lights, gas lights. Cool boxes, but keeping the fridge closed will keep it cold for a few days. We can live without A/C - keeping the house closed up keeps it quite cool. A widespread power outage will obviously effect other things (fuel availability, water, etc)
3) Water outage - we use a cooler for most of our drinking water & mains water for cooking, washing etc. We keep a stock of ~100 litres of water for the cooler plus ~10-20 litres bottled water in each vehicle. Priority is for drinking. Personal hygiene requires surprisingly little water done right, and cleaning dishes, cooking equipment requires very little if done right as well. waste water from washing etc can be used for flushing toilets if the sewage system is functional.
4) Gas Supply outage - We use bottled gas and the same fittings work on the main kitchen supply and the barbecue. we always have a spare 15KG tank in addition to what's in use for the gas BBQ & kitchen cooker. we also have 2753 portable gas cookers and 4 x as many disposable cartridges.
5) Food - Actually not that essential in the short term. we can live for 6 weeks without food, a couple of days max without water. Keep a supply of canned / preserved / pouched / wet foods - they can be eaten cold and don't require water, also you get most of your daily water requirement from wet foods. Make sure you have foods with fiber otherwise you'll have other issues. Don't forget sanitary supplies (TP!!!!)
5) Fuel supply issues - it can and does happen for many reasons - keep half a tank minimum. Don't keep 698 full jerry cans lying around, or on the back of your vehicle. Buy an aux tank & a pump to xfer fuel to another vehicle if you're that concerned that you need to keep full jerry cans on the vehicle.

100) - civil unrest/invasion/war
1,456,778,990,451 - zombie apocalypse

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
But what will I do if I run out of gas for the FJ? What do I need to steal that?! (FYI/ probably addressed on this thread lol)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You have to conserve resources, and of course it depends on what the scenario is...
There are very few scenarios where half a tank of gas won't get you home or somewhere safe(r).

·
A-Team Moderator
8,250 Posts
I mentioned gas tanks at half because of the SF Quake. I passed station after station that was either on fire, driveways destroyed making it impossible to enter or the canopies had collapsed onto the pumps.

Also I've been through 2 Tsunami evac's in HI and as soon as those sirens go off, the lines at the stations are blocks, if not miles long. That goes for every store as well. Places empty out in minutes and supplies are gone.

And FYI; don't stay in a hotel above the third floor. No power, no elevators and card key readers may not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would imagine that these scenarios would be much scarier when you live in a big city, as compared to a small town.
I know that the people in our tiny town of 2600 are a pretty close bunch, and I would expect a great deal of us would band together and help each other, especially to look after the young and the elderly who can't look after them self. My neighbours and I are a tight knit bunch, and we would certainly help one-another in an emergency.

Sent from a NiPhone, using auto-correct to eff things up with Tapatalk

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
But what will I do if I run out of gas for the FJ? What do I need to steal that?! (FYI/ probably addressed on this thread lol)

A basic shaker syphon.... it's essentially a hose with a brass fitting on one end that has a marble in it. They work great :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
A basic shaker syphon.... it's essentially a hose with a brass fitting on one end that has a marble in it. They work great :D

Definitely gotta keep a set in the FJ. I have plenty of extra fuel cans, but I don't usually carry them unless I'm going on an expedition.

I was also thinking of storing a nail gun for use with the powertank just in case we needed to get some carpentry done lol.... 🤔

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
AKA a wank hose :rofl::rofl::rofl:

301 - 320 of 355 Posts