Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
C. Brown returns from Afghanistan when TEOWAWKI happens. He hits the road looking for the Gang. >:D
That muzzle cap / bayonet fitting looks like an Enfield minus the front sight...
Are those rounds on his belt rimmed?
I think C. Brown brought a souvinier home from A'stan...

·
A-Team Moderator
8,175 Posts
Ray Millan and Frankie Avalon Cold War 1962 Apocalyptic Survival. It's really ahead of it's time and in line with current SHTF - Get out of Dodge, head for the hills scenario's.

No special effects, just human behavior and how one family deals with the lawless aftermath. It was released around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. It's on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Just found and read this thread.
Interesting!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Where's the gun thread?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
There's two iconic American brands that I seem to have a bit of an obsession with - Maglite and Leatherman. Some I've had for 20 years and still going strong.
I find both so damn useful and use them all the time - anyway I bought a Leatherman Surge the other day - great tool. The only problem I have is that I have to remember to check them in when I fly.
I quite like the Signal as well...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
There's two iconic American brands that I seem to have a bit of an obsession with - Maglite and Leatherman. Some I've had for 20 years and still going strong.
I find both so damn useful and use them all the time - anyway I bought a Leatherman Surge the other day - great tool. The only problem I have is that I have to remember to check them in when I fly.
I quite like the Signal as well...
I've had both of them myself and have been pretty happy with the Maglights and very happy with the Leatherman. I've had the big "D" sized battery operated and the rechargeable lights and then the mini mag lights too. I've got a couple of newer LED Maglights that are a smaller sized light that are pretty nice.

I got my first Leatherman back in the mid '80s as a safety gift at work and since then some may call it an obsession. Over the years I got 3 or 4 of the original tools with a couple of them being gifts at work and then I've bought several. I don't remember how many I own right now, but I've got those originals, a Flair which had scissors and an hor d' oeuvre set of blades, two Supertools, two Supertool 200, two Supertool 300, a Surge in black, a Wingman, a Blast, and two Z-Rex window breaking/seat belt tools.

I used my original for a few years and used it so much that I went to a Supertool since it was bigger and the blades locked. Then I moved up to the 200, and then the 300, and all the old tools were used in backup rolls. I kept a tool in the glove box of both vehicles when I had two of them. I kept a tool in the survival pack in each rig too. I also had a tool by the bed and one by my chair, and I wore one on my belt. Now I've still got one on my belt and two by my chair. I still carry them in my vehicle too only now I've just got the one vehicle so I've got extra tools in there and in my packs. I don't use the one my belt near as much as I used to when I was working, but it still gets used. I swapped my plates on the truck with it and I use it to open boxes from Amazon and other places and to cut some of the boxes up to make it easier to get them to the dumpster. I use the blade when out on drives if I stop for lunch and need to cut something up too. The one by my chair gets used a lot too. The scissors are used to open packets like Crystal Light for flavoring water, the blade to open the plastic packaging things come in, and for other things if and when needed. Handy as hell.

The warranty and customer service from Leatherman is excellent too. I've sent a couple of tools back to have the blades sharpened and all it cost me was the postage to send them and a few days time. I also sent in a couple of tools to be repaired and it was the same thing. The tools that needed repaired were because of something I did and not a flaw or problem with them. I was taking care of a friends ranch and feeding his animals while he was on vacation. It was dark and I had just enough light to see a little and I was on my way to work one morning. I went to get some hay and needed a new bale so I slid one over and proceeded to cut the twine. The blade didn't seem to want to cut it so I swapped to the serrated one and it was the same way, I couldn't cut the twine. I ended up having to go turn on the lights and that's when I saw the problem. I had picked the only damn bale of hay I'd ever seen in his stacks that had wire instead of twine. I had almost gotten through the wire, but the blades gave out. Both blades were dull and the edges slightly curled over. I sent Leatherman a letter letting them know what I'd done and asked if they could repair them and then bill my card if I sent the in. They replied and told me to send the tool in so I did and in about two weeks I got it back. It looked brand new and they didn't charge me a thing. I just paid the shipping to them. Another time I had just bought my used 4Runner and the guy couldn't get his plates off so he told me to just take them with me and toss them when I got them off and he gave me a bill of sale. I tried to take them off and twisted my screwdriver blade really badly and then did the same to a second one as I didn't learn on the first. It was the same as with the blades, I wrote a letter, sent the tool in, and they fixed it free. Awesome service.

I even had a good story ending after I lost one of my Supertool 300s. I had went in to buy the Tundra and when I was swapping a few things over I pulled it out for my salesman to use so he could put a handle on the Engel fridge/freezer so he could swap it over for me. In the rush of swapping stuff and the joy of the new truck and everything the tool was lost. I was bummed, but knew I should have checked my sheath and I didn't. A year later I was in for service and it was the first time I'd seen my salesman in some time. We were talking and he mentioned that he had been promoted shortly after I bought my Tundra to the Customer Service Rep and that when he was cleaning out his desk he found and had saved something for me. It was my Leatherman so I had it back in it's sheath again.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
I've had both of them myself and have been pretty happy with the Maglights and very happy with the Leatherman. I've had the big "D" sized battery operated and the rechargeable lights and then the mini mag lights too. I've got a couple of newer LED Maglights that are a smaller sized light that are pretty nice.

I got my first Leatherman back in the mid '80s as a safety gift at work and since then some may call it an obsession. Over the years I got 3 or 4 of the original tools with a couple of them being gifts at work and then I've bought several. I don't remember how many I own right now, but I've got those originals, a Flair which had scissors and an hor d' oeuvre set of blades, two Supertools, two Supertool 200, two Supertool 300, a Surge in black, a Wingman, a Blast, and two Z-Rex window breaking/seat belt tools.

I used my original for a few years and used it so much that I went to a Supertool since it was bigger and the blades locked. Then I moved up to the 200, and then the 300, and all the old tools were used in backup rolls. I kept a tool in the glove box of both vehicles when I had two of them. I kept a tool in the survival pack in each rig too. I also had a tool by the bed and one by my chair, and I wore one on my belt. Now I've still got one on my belt and two by my chair. I still carry them in my vehicle too only now I've just got the one vehicle so I've got extra tools in there and in my packs. I don't use the one my belt near as much as I used to when I was working, but it still gets used. I swapped my plates on the truck with it and I use it to open boxes from Amazon and other places and to cut some of the boxes up to make it easier to get them to the dumpster. I use the blade when out on drives if I stop for lunch and need to cut something up too. The one by my chair gets used a lot too. The scissors are used to open packets like Crystal Light for flavoring water, the blade to open the plastic packaging things come in, and for other things if and when needed. Handy as hell.

The warranty and customer service from Leatherman is excellent too. I've sent a couple of tools back to have the blades sharpened and all it cost me was the postage to send them and a few days time. I also sent in a couple of tools to be repaired and it was the same thing. The tools that needed repaired were because of something I did and not a flaw or problem with them. I was taking care of a friends ranch and feeding his animals while he was on vacation. It was dark and I had just enough light to see a little and I was on my way to work one morning. I went to get some hay and needed a new bale so I slid one over and proceeded to cut the twine. The blade didn't seem to want to cut it so I swapped to the serrated one and it was the same way, I couldn't cut the twine. I ended up having to go turn on the lights and that's when I saw the problem. I had picked the only damn bale of hay I'd ever seen in his stacks that had wire instead of twine. I had almost gotten through the wire, but the blades gave out. Both blades were dull and the edges slightly curled over. I sent Leatherman a letter letting them know what I'd done and asked if they could repair them and then bill my card if I sent the in. They replied and told me to send the tool in so I did and in about two weeks I got it back. It looked brand new and they didn't charge me a thing. I just paid the shipping to them. Another time I had just bought my used 4Runner and the guy couldn't get his plates off so he told me to just take them with me and toss them when I got them off and he gave me a bill of sale. I tried to take them off and twisted my screwdriver blade really badly and then did the same to a second one as I didn't learn on the first. It was the same as with the blades, I wrote a letter, sent the tool in, and they fixed it free. Awesome service.

I even had a good story ending after I lost one of my Supertool 300s. I had went in to buy the Tundra and when I was swapping a few things over I pulled it out for my salesman to use so he could put a handle on the Engel fridge/freezer so he could swap it over for me. In the rush of swapping stuff and the joy of the new truck and everything the tool was lost. I was bummed, but knew I should have checked my sheath and I didn't. A year later I was in for service and it was the first time I'd seen my salesman in some time. We were talking and he mentioned that he had been promoted shortly after I bought my Tundra to the Customer Service Rep and that when he was cleaning out his desk he found and had saved something for me. It was my Leatherman so I had it back in it's sheath again.
I toured the Leatherman factory in Portland 11 years ago where the tools are handmade. Very cool place and a great place to work, they have all of the prototypes on display that the owner built in his garage as well.

341 - 355 of 355 Posts