Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

A recent death of an African American man by a white police Officer has sparked racial tensions in multiple cities across the United States. After being told to leave work early in a downtown area, you are inevitably held over. You can see protesters from the window of your office building while looking below at the street. As your conference call comes to a close, you look at the time, it is now dusk. You turn on the news and are advised that protests are generally peaceful but last night scores of businesses suffered looting and arson attacks as well as violent attacks. A security guard is stationed within the parking garage and advises you, you are one of the last to leave and to stay safe. You get in your car, ensuring the windows and door locks are locked, entering the downtown area.

As you approach a city intersection a group of illegal protesters gather in the center of the street. Chanting at you, "No Justice, No Peace." The crowd gathers around your vehicle, some beginning to rock it side to side.

What do you do?

I wonder how well a train horn would work. Would it clear protesters from around your vehicle, giving you a chance to escape or would it just enrage the crowd even more?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wonder how well a train horn would work. Would it clear protesters from around your vehicle, giving you a chance to escape or would it just enrage the crowd even more?
Once the violence has started, I don't it would have much effect. I think it's important to note that these vehicles were surrounded, people trying to gain access when they floored it. The danger of being pulled from your vehicle and beaten is very much present, I have to admit I'm reluctant to consider running over fellow Americans but I believe it's justified in this case.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Once the violence has started, I don't it would have much effect. I think it's important to note that these vehicles were surrounded, people trying to gain access when they floored it. The danger of being pulled from your vehicle and beaten is very much present, I have to admit I'm reluctant to consider running over fellow Americans but I believe it's justified in this case.
I don't have a train horn but while looking at some they had this warning

"Use this product in a safe and responsible manner, at a distance of at aleast 100 feet from others.

Proper Hearing protection must be worn when using this airhorn. Hearing loss or permanent damage may result from unsafe use.

Never operate this product in a closed environment or close to pedestrians or others."

So when I read your scenario the first thing that came to mind was that, but you're probably right.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Public water supplies are becoming sporadic, with diesel generator backups beginning to fail after seventy-two hours. Your family has had water and natural gas until now during a power failure. For the first time you notice pipe pressure beginning to weaken.

What sources of potable water, in your home and beyond, would you consider? Name at least two.

Human Waste:
Can you use a toilet without public water? How would you dispose of waste?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts

Public water supplies are becoming sporadic, with diesel generator backups beginning to fail after seventy-two hours. Your family has had water and natural gas until now during a power failure. For the first time you notice pipe pressure beginning to weaken.

What sources of potable water, in your home and beyond, would you consider? Name at least two.

Human Waste:
Can you use a toilet without public water? How would you dispose of waste?

I've got foil pouches and canned water put aside. I've also got a couple of different filter systems I could use to get water and several water containers that could and should be filled.

I've got one of the P.E.T.T. portable toilet systems. It uses a bag with a bit of powder in it that gels liquids, breaks down solids, and controls odors. After use you pull the bag and twist it shut, put it in an included ziploc bag and toss in the trash. Bags can be bought separate and used with some normal toilets if they will fit over the bowl, 5 gallon plastic buckets, mop buckets, etc. The "Poo Powder" can also be bought and used with the bags to make them multi use or with other bags too.

·
Admin
6,898 Posts
We have plenty of water near us so it's never hard to find it. It's not walking distance from my home in the city but not hard to find. To filter it i have a small portable filter that I've used camping and it's worked fairly well.
Katadyn Vario
Produkte - Katadyn Products Inc.

For waste when we're camping we use the portable toilet that is similar in description as above. We use the Luggable Loo. When camping I actually dig a deep hole (keep in mind we are waaaay in the deep bush), empty the bag into it, then I seal the bag and throw it in our trash which we then pack out of course.
https://relianceproducts.com/products/sanitation/96.html

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Nebraska is just about as remote, between Cheyenne WY and Lincoln, not much exist. I'm curious what do they do for the non-local's who get stuck on the roads? I'm sure people become trapped every year between the gates.
Not many trapped. When it is raising hell with snow here, their are plenty of warning signs telling about slick roads and high winds. Another words, stay away if your not prepared.

We let the Darwin effect take care of the those that can't read or comprehend.

Most of the time when they close roads it is because of crashes. From the HP, when they have three crashes on one stretch of bad road, they close that section, clean up the mess, and then decide whether to open it or not.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
My first thought to water was the back of the toilet, most won't look or think of it as a potable water source but it is essentially clean water...I would recommend a sanitation method but if I had to I would drink directly from it and take my chances. Other first stop sources? Water heaters, good to go.

Depending on how the water supply is, toilets can be flushed by manually dumping water into the bowl until it flushes....Assuming the sewage pipes are not blocked or damaged....

·
Registered
74 Posts

A recent death of an African American man by a white police Officer has sparked racial tensions in multiple cities across the United States. After being told to leave work early in a downtown area, you are inevitably held over. You can see protesters from the window of your office building while looking below at the street. As your conference call comes to a close, you look at the time, it is now dusk. You turn on the news and are advised that protests are generally peaceful but last night scores of businesses suffered looting and arson attacks as well as violent attacks. A security guard is stationed within the parking garage and advises you, you are one of the last to leave and to stay safe. You get in your car, ensuring the windows and door locks are locked, entering the downtown area.

As you approach a city intersection a group of illegal protesters gather in the center of the street. Chanting at you, "No Justice, No Peace." The crowd gathers around your vehicle, some beginning to rock it side to side.

What do you do?

The damage to the car is most likely insured (they may try the riot clause, but the bad publicity of doing so would cause them to pay) so I will let that go. Dial 911 or put the phone on record (or both). Remove 1911 from upper glove box (where it fits quite nicely I might add). Only once they break through the glass will they get shot. It is then that I am in immediate danger. Once the gun fire starts the road will clear and I will drive to a safe location and complete my call with 911.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The story of the family lost in Death Valley

Your wife and you decide to explore the American South West with two young children. You decide that you want to experience the real wild west and head off the beaten path on to unmarked gravel roads leading deep into the desert. You soon become stuck in a wash. Without a cell phone signal, you are left with some decisions to make. Please read the story of the German family (1996) in very similar circumstances, they did not find rescue or a safe heaven in a desert that does not forgive.

Thoughts on the 1996 German family?
Does it change what decisions you will make in the South-West?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Can you describe at least two methods to give an estimate of time and position without GPS?

You are on a day hike and lost the trail. You are unsure if you have enough time to find your way or build a camp for the night.

You know you are likely two hours from your vehicle at the head of the trail, cut through heavy brush to pan for gold in a high Sierra stream but can't seem to find your path in the heavy cobble next to the river bank. You vehicle is due west of your current position, (3 miles or so through wooded trails) you know river passes under the highway proximity 15 miles from your current position.

Do you attempt to find your current location and head into the woods or do you take the two day hike down the river knowing it will be cold and wet walk following the stream?

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Can you describe at least two methods to give an estimate of time and position without GPS?

You are on a day hike and lost the trail. You are unsure if you have enough time to find your way or build a camp for the night.

You know you are likely two hours from your vehicle at the head of the trail, cut through heavy brush to pan for gold in a high Sierra stream but can't seem to find your path in the heavy cobble next to the river bank. You vehicle is due west of your current position, (3 miles or so through wooded trails) you know river passes under the highway proximity 15 miles from your current position.

Do you attempt to find your current location and head into the woods or do you take the two day hike down the river knowing it will be cold and wet walk following the stream?

Can I have a compass for a 1000 Alex. :grin

Been lucky and never had this happen. Usually have my route in and out planned before I take off. Prepare...

To answer part of your question I observe land marks, certain rimrocks, boulders in different places, odd trees, or whatever nature gives you to get a general vicinity of where I have been.
I would try to back track out. If dark. Build fire and any kind of shelter for the night.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Can I have a compass for a 1000 Alex. :grin
Not this time around. You brought along a GPS, it ran out of batteries before the trip even started and you did not check your equipment :clap:

You can figure out the time of the sunset by looking to the sun. Using your fingers :grin

Each finger is between 15-20 minutes, each hand is about an hour. This does work, I was about 15 minutes off when I tried it but it was close enough for a good guess. Every hand is about an hour.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

As you look down at your radio your suddenly realize that your FJ is loosing traction. You are currently in 2wd and the FJ's assists are chirping at you.

Black Ice!

What does one need to do to prepare for black ice?

What are the best way's to control a vehicle during hydroplaning?

What are the best way's to control a vehicle during loss of traction due to icing conditions?

·
Registered
613 Posts

As you look down at your radio your suddenly realize that your FJ is loosing traction. You are currently in 2wd and the FJ's assists are chirping at you.

Black Ice!

What does one need to do to prepare for black ice?

What are the best way's to control a vehicle during hydroplaning?

What are the best way's to control a vehicle during loss of traction due to icing conditions?
Best way to prepare for black ice is to install studded tyres yesterday.

If you hit black ice, do not brake or steer suddenly. Just take your foot off the gas and continue driving STRAIGHT! Let your vehicle slow down on its own.

Been there. Totaled some kids '99 Corolla who didn't do this and spun out in front of me twice on the highway. His bad and he lost.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Best way to prepare for black ice is to install studded tyres yesterday.

Studded tires are debatable, it's obvious if you live in the far North but they cause havoc in mixed road conditions. Of course in Canada, chains and studs are common!

In Coastal New England, I would say they are not nearly as common as some of the more inland states. That being said nearly everyone has 4WD, AWD and decent sent of tires rated for snow with or without studs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

You're cold, you're wet, and have decided to hike to the highway. You thought it was closer than initially thought. You have a few waterproof matches with you. Can you describe an effective way to prepare a fire, ensuring the best possibility of it lighting the first try?

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts

You're cold, you're wet, and have decided to hike to the highway. You thought it was closer than initially thought. You have a few waterproof matches with you. Can you describe an effective way to prepare a fire, ensuring the best possibility of it lighting the first try?

Those matches [email protected] better find you a car battery/9volt and some steel wool or keep a bic in your pocket!

Sent from WV

·
Registered
358 Posts

I'm assuming damp/wet conditions, so I would try to find a mix of tiny to larger kindling wood scraps by searching out any area in the brush that didn't get moist- like under leaves, on the interior of bushes, and the bottom side of fallen trees and branches. Rotten wood inside fallen trees can be great for fire starting- pull it carefully apart and find the driest pulpy parts. Pine cones under the thatch that are dry are great too, if you break them up.

Best chance of lighting on first try? Get your materials ready to go first, be organized, and try your best to get it done on the first try.
Get the smallest and driest together with the larger ready- hopefully in the most sheltered area you can find or make (otherwise the fire will just go out from the rain). Search your pack and pockets for any paper, or helpful items. If you have a candle you can light it first and use to drip wax on the tinder as it will burn much better and you'll have a good backup fire source too until the fire gets going .
Light the shredded tiny tinder and carefully add more as the fire grows, blowing low at the base of it to increase oxygen. Keep slowly and steadily adding more wood until it's really going well, and put the damper pieces nearby to dry out from the fire. A kind of small wood Tipi formation works pretty well for fire building, and keeps the air circulating enough so your fire won't get choked, but the main thing is to not put the big wood on too fast or you'll kill it- especially in damp conditions. The goal is to get a decent base of hot coals, get warm and get dry before the next step...and hopefully you are no longer in danger of hypothermia.
Good and dry you'll have a better chance of surviving whatever you do next.
BTW we carry a Magnesium rod striker, and they are an awesome sparking source- it'll fit in your pocket or in your backpack, and should be a part of any "kit" I think- plus the water purification tablets (or the equivalent).

Amazon- about $10 bucks for three waterproof, windproof magnesium flints: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004835W76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Water purification tabs: Amazon.com : Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets : Camping Water Purifiers : Sports & Outdoors

And also (sorry off subject) I found a COOL item on eBay that is great for highway emergencies, or to place on blind mountain curves when we are out fossil hunting on the back roads. It's a Pop-UP/collapsible orange cone with a battery powered LED flashing beacon on top! This thing is awesome!! and easily stored in the FJC: New Aervoe Collapsible 18" Orange Traffic Safety Nylon Cone w LED Beacon 1190 | eBay

21 - 40 of 355 Posts