Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stock FJ, base model (2010). I've been over several passes in CO, often in a Tacoma (Pearl, Tin Cup) but many more on two wheels. (Including Schofield). I'd like to take the FJ out for a week and catch more passes. Will more than likely go during the week to avoid some of the crowds. I definitely want to get over Black Bear as I've never been on it at all. I've done Imogene several times. So, two questions; How is Schofield in a wider vehicle? I didn't think it was too bad on two wheels. Is it a big deal? Do full size rigs ride it regularly, or is it too narrow?
Second, I've got all terrain tires no wheel locks (or whatever they are called) to run at lower pressures. What pressures do you all run with factory wheels and tires? When we took the Tacoma across Pearl, the scree fields took a lot of the fun out of the trip for my wife.. I'm thinking if I air down a bit, it won't beat the crap out of us.
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section. I'm still somewhat of a new guy on this forum.
Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I might have posted this in the wrong area. It's not really an expedition, and I don't think my FJ will be the first to attempt Schofield..
Mr Moderator, could you please move this to the correct area?
Thank you..

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I've got a stock FJ, base model (2010). I've been over several passes in CO, often in a Tacoma (Pearl, Tin Cup) but many more on two wheels. (Including Schofield). I'd like to take the FJ out for a week and catch more passes. Will more than likely go during the week to avoid some of the crowds. I definitely want to get over Black Bear as I've never been on it at all. I've done Imogene several times. So, two questions; How is Schofield in a wider vehicle? I didn't think it was too bad on two wheels. Is it a big deal? Do full size rigs ride it regularly, or is it too narrow?
Second, I've got all terrain tires no wheel locks (or whatever they are called) to run at lower pressures. What pressures do you all run with factory wheels and tires? When we took the Tacoma across Pearl, the scree fields took a lot of the fun out of the trip for my wife.. I'm thinking if I air down a bit, it won't beat the crap out of us.
1. Are you in Colorado? Or if you come out here regularly, please make sure to join Colorado FJ Cruisers on Facebook. We can answer any Colorado offroading / FJ related questions directly on there, much quicker than you'll probably get here. (I help run that page, but most local traffic has moved to Facebook)

2. I've been over Schofield 4-5 times in my FJ, it's no problem. If you've done it on 2 wheels the trouble area you're probably thinking about is the climb right above the waterfall ("devil's punchbowl"), it's narrow but not a problem at all.

What time of the year are you looking at doing it? I don't live near Crested Butte / Marble but this is pretty high country, I highly doubt that it would be open right now due to snow. In the spring it's usually late June or July before that area is open.

3. For running tires at lower pressures you're thinking of "bead locks", these lock the outer bead of the tire to the outer edge of the wheel so that you don't push the bead in far enough that you lose your tire inflation. Very few people here in Colorado run bead locks, it's much more necessary running very low PSI's in a place like Moab than it is here. Most of us in Colorado run 15-20 PSI without bead locks, I've personally run 20 PSI for 6+ years offroading *a lot* in Colorado and have never had an issue. Make sure you have an easy / precise way to get you down to 15-20 PSI and make sure you have a reliable way to air back up.

Please quote this post ^^^ if you have any more questions so I get a notification, otherwise I'd be happy to help you on our Facebook group.

James

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Are you in Colorado? Or if you come out here regularly, please make sure to join Colorado FJ Cruisers on Facebook. We can answer any Colorado offroading / FJ related questions directly on there, much quicker than you'll probably get here. (I help run that page, but most local traffic has moved to Facebook)

2. I've been over Schofield 4-5 times in my FJ, it's no problem. If you've done it on 2 wheels the trouble area you're probably thinking about is the climb right above the waterfall ("devil's punchbowl"), it's narrow but not a problem at all.

What time of the year are you looking at doing it? I don't live near Crested Butte / Marble but this is pretty high country, I highly doubt that it would be open right now due to snow. In the spring it's usually late June or July before that area is open.

3. For running tires at lower pressures you're thinking of "bead locks", these lock the outer bead of the tire to the outer edge of the wheel so that you don't push the bead in far enough that you lose your tire inflation. Very few people here in Colorado run bead locks, it's much more necessary running very low PSI's in a place like Moab than it is here. Most of us in Colorado run 15-20 PSI without bead locks, I've personally run 20 PSI for 6+ years offroading *a lot* in Colorado and have never had an issue. Make sure you have an easy / precise way to get you down to 15-20 PSI and make sure you have a reliable way to air back up.

Please quote this post ^^^ if you have any more questions so I get a notification, otherwise I'd be happy to help you on our Facebook group.

James
Thanks James. I'm in Missouri, but planning on being in Colo next summer/fall. If possible my wife and I will be out about when the aspens are turning. Wife was ok over tin cup, but by the time we got over to Aspen on Pearl, she was not having fun. (In the Tacoma, with 35 psi). I will look for your group on FB, and join up, or whatever I need to do to follow. The last time I was out there on 2 wheels the FJ Summit was going on.. That started me on thinking FJ.
I won't be running beadlocks, I seriously doubt I go to another wheel. My Tacoma was stock, and went everywhere I wanted to go. I would like to try Han**** also. I did it on the 650 (motorcycle). One end was closed for repairs or something, so we managed to catch it after riding across a foot bridge. It was a good one though, along with Tomichi. We've done the Alpine loop as well. I'd like to find some new ones.
I'll be running 20 psi, but need to get some kind of a pump that won't take all day to get me back to 35..
thanks again..
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Thanks James. I'm in Missouri, but planning on being in Colo next summer/fall. If possible my wife and I will be out about when the aspens are turning.
The exact timing varies by year but if you keep an eye on the page, you'll start to see photos like this one around the time it starts to happen (taken by one of our club members on September 28th):

Wife was ok over tin cup, but by the time we got over to Aspen on Pearl, she was not having fun. (In the Tacoma, with 35 psi). I will look for your group on FB, and join up, or whatever I need to do to follow. The last time I was out there on 2 wheels the FJ Summit was going on.. That started me on thinking FJ. I won't be running beadlocks, I seriously doubt I go to another wheel. My Tacoma was stock, and went everywhere I wanted to go.
Plenty of Tacoma's in the club, properly built they're very capable. The big difference you're going to see wheeling with FJ's is breakover angle because of the longer wheelbase, and the bed / tailgate dragging in places where the FJ's don't.

If you aren't armored yet (skidplates etc), let me suggest talking to RCI Offroad about picking up a set of skid plates, sliders etc. They're north of Denver -- the owner's person truck is a white Tacoma -- and the best thing about having a local armor vendor is no shipping :D

I would like to try Han**** also. I did it on the 650 (motorcycle). One end was closed for repairs or something, so we managed to catch it after riding across a foot bridge. It was a good one though, along with Tomichi. We've done the Alpine loop as well. I'd like to find some new ones.
Colorado FJ Cruisers does an FJ Summit-like event each year over Labor Day called Rocky Mountain FJ Roundup, Hancoock is one of the trails we did this year. Cottonwood was closed this year (they're paving it as a shortcut for skiiers to Crested Butte) so we do Hancoock as a loop with Tincup Pass. The downhill side is a bit of a rock garden but otherwise it's not too bad. I've been here wheeling for ~6 years and this was my first year to do it. We didn't get a chance to do Tomichi though, but may include it in the trail design for next year.

thanks again..
Jeff
Happy to help, we'll see you guys in the fall! I'm sure we could get 1-2 of the locals interested in going with you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful pic.. I get my vacations set up and go. Once we get locked in, that's it. Sometimes we hit it close, sometimes not so much, as far as hitting the aspens changing or not. The last time I did tin cup I was on a BMW 1200 I went over from the St Elmo side towards Tin Cup. You are right about the down hill, it was a bit rocky.. :surprise
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/WildwoodJeff/Colo%20UT%202016%20Bike/41bfa0b3172c70f2e5d7ee45fb819c04.jpg
Sometimes we catch the colors right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts