·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Score!
Factory OEM parts arrival.

I know some prefer other options.

but I could not pass.

I scored a factory rood light /air dam with all parts, RIV nuts, harness, relay, switch, etc. NEW for 160 bucks.

i also got a complete new bumper light -except missing the mounts- for 90 bucks. Relay, fuse, switch, harnesses, - everything but those little pedestal mounts.

These were new, set up for display at a dealer. I ordered some PIAA mounts.

the switches alone are like fifty dollars, so I am cool with this.

1- I am now corned into a factory roof rack, No new ones are to be had. How exact a copy are the aftermarket OEM style ones?
2- how am I going to install the riv nuts?
3-Does anyone have a picture of how the A pillar option routes the wires under the groove to the rack instead of just laying it on the roof?

and
4- The roof lights will be for trails, and the bumper lights will be for extra high beam lights off road as well. What do you guys do for actual fog lights in the rain and fog on the road?

thank you for any information.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Nice. A couple of things. The roof lights are Hella 500s, and are driving beam. I replaced mine with HID floods. But see how they work for your purpose.

Rivnuts. I was lucky when I installed mine that we had a metric tool at our base. The tool is a floater that travels where needed. However I did strip one later. I have a tool from Harbor Freight and replaced the rivnut with a standard thread part.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Score!
Factory OEM parts arrival.

I know some prefer other options.

but I could not pass.

I scored a factory rood light /air dam with all parts, RIV nuts, harness, relay, switch, etc. NEW for 160 bucks.

i also got a complete new bumper light -except missing the mounts- for 90 bucks. Relay, fuse, switch, harnesses, - everything but those little pedestal mounts.

These were new, set up for display at a dealer. I ordered some PIAA mounts.

the switches alone are like fifty dollars, so I am cool with this.

1- I am now corned into a factory roof rack, No new ones are to be had. How exact a copy are the aftermarket OEM style ones?
2- how am I going to install the riv nuts?
3-Does anyone have a picture of how the A pillar option routes the wires under the groove to the rack instead of just laying it on the roof?

and
4- The roof lights will be for trails, and the bumper lights will be for extra high beam lights off road as well. What do you guys do for actual fog lights in the rain and fog on the road?

thank you for any information.
The factory Riv-nuts have a hex shank which fits into a hex hole on the roof rack. If you have, are willing to buy or can borrow the riv-nut tool that fits you are good to go. If none of the above you can install the riv-nuts with a bolt that fits along with 2-3 washers and a nut. Spin a nut onto the bolt. Add the washers ( washers are stamped and one side will be smoother and more rounded) rounded sides facing each other, flat sides toward bolt head and riv-nut put some lube (grease or anti-seize) on the bolt threads and between the washers. Insert the riv-nut into the roof rack. Screw the bolt with the nut and washers into the riv-nut. Use 2 wrenches. One to hold the bolt head and keep it from turning. The 2nd wrench is used to turn the nut down (unscrewing) while holding the bolt still. This has the effect of pulling up on the bolt while the washers keep the riv-nut in place. This is the same motion that a riv-nut tool would do just a little more cumbersome but a lot cheaper than buying a tools you might only use once. I have the tool and a range of both SAE and metric draw bars for it but have done this when I didn't have access to the tool or since my tool will only work up to 1/4" when I'm installing 3/8" to M-12 riv-nuts

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I installed mine I just used the method described by FJ4RWS. I didn't have access to a Riv-nut tool and didn't want to buy one for 4 Riv-nuts. For the wiring I drilled a hole in the roof and used the 3M sealant just as the instructions say.

For the bumper lights, in case you didn't get it there is a reinforcement bracket that goes inside the bumper and ties to the vertical radiator support. P/N PT297-35062

Lastly, is that a '73-74 Roadrunner in your garage? My first car was a '73 Satellite Sebring Plus that had a Roadrunner power bulge hood. Good times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts