Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Scouts welcome?

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Woodsman 
#1 ·
Would one or possibly a dozen IH Scouts be welcome at the 2014 Summit?

#2 ·
Girl Scouts? Yes bring them along. The more the merrier!:jester:

#3 ·
I absolutely LOVED my Scouts. They were my introduction to 4wd and off-roading. I really took my '78 Traveler many places it should not have gone, and it never failed me. I had a couple more after that and eventually left IH, but the memories remain. If it were not for those Scouts I would not be here with my FJ now.....

#4 ·
And will they bring cookies?

Should not be a problem. Ty, one of the directors drives a Scout. Someone brought a VW Syncro van one year and I remember at least one jeep. There have been some complaints about this in the past from people that missed out because they were too slow registering. I am not an official so my opinion is my own. I would say when registration opens give it a shot. Be honest in reporting your vehicle in your registration of course.

My dad had a 68. Great trucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I'll bring this up with the other directors and get back with you.

There are some things we have to consider.

#9 ·
IMO, 1 scout YES. A dozen scouts NO. That's just too many for an FJ main event.

#21 ·
I agree with you 100% - maybe even limit the non FJ's/non toyotas more. Yes the registration does fill up (last year it filled up very quick) and some people are waiting on their lazy bosses to approve vacations - makes it hard for people to justify registering just in case. Yes you can always sell your spot but good luck.

The Scouts are cool but please keep this an FJ event - if those poeople want to bring the cars to show off then don't register; maybe they could pay extra per person on someone's registration so they can eat the dinners?? And then kind of hang back behind the groups on the trails??

#11 ·
I think it is very obvious to everyone that this IS a "Toyota-centric" event.

Most everything is geared towards FJ Cruisers and other Toyota 4x4s. Several of the vendors sell only Toyota aftermarket gear. The raffle is mostly Toyota specific gear and representatives of Toyota usually fly in for the event. They even introduced the new 2014 4Runner at Summit 7.

This event cannot happen without the support of these vendors and sponsors, many of which have been with us for several years. The event has value to them because they know nearly every person in attendance is a potential customer. Simply opening the floodgates could quickly diminish the value of the event to many of them.

#13 ·
^^^^^^^
X2:cheers:
Jax':wave:

#15 ·
I know I would be really upset if I went to register my FJ Cruiser for the FJ Cruiser Summit, and it was full because people that don't own FJ Cruisers took up spots.

#17 ·
There probably should be and I'm sure it would be pretty cool to see those ol' binders on the trails. The Colorado Full Size Jeep Association does their thing (a small gathering of rigs hitting the trails but no vendors or anything) usually about the same time as the FJ Summit and there is a 100 series Land Cruiser gathering (100s in the hills) after the Summit. There's also a group of Broncos that do something in Moab about the same time as Cruise Moab and they call it Bronco Safari.

#18 ·
Sensible conversation this time around (as this topic comes up every year). :bigthumb:

Thanks for your wisdom on this, James. :cheers:

Maybe you could have a rule that says non-Toyotas can only register in the event if there are still slots available after a certain date, AND that their registration is contingent on supply and demand from FJ owners (i.e. if an FJ owner wants to register, and there is only one spot left, the non-Toyota gets bumped).

That way, there would never be a situation where they keep other FJs/etc from joining in on the event, and yet, there'd still be a chance of them getting in; later in the registration period.

If that were to be the case, it would also be good to limit non-Toyotas to like 2.5% of the total number of vehicles in the event or something like that; just to make sure it's not lopsided on a down year or whatever.

#19 ·
Hey Steven, that is certainly an option. That same suggestion has been brought up by others and we've discussed it already. Considering how quickly we filled registration last year, we do not think it will be an issue. If we see that it is an issue we can always adjust down the road to ensure a full registration but, again, we do not expect that to happen. You will find me on every Toyota forum promoting the FJ Summit to 4Runners, Land Cruisers and Tacomas before that happens. Again, it is in the best interest of most of the vendors and the overall "health" of the event. :cheers:

#22 ·
So we have an 1970 International Travelall. We signed up thinking my Sister in law and brother were coming with their FJ but then after I signed up they said they weren't going this year.

We would still love to come but if people would rather have it be all Toyotas we could sell our spot, how does that work? We paid for one vehicle and one extra adult.

#23 ·
Don't worry about it. We strive for it to be all Toyota and as I've explained in earlier posts, because many of the sponsors deal primarily with Toyotas, it is important to not let this event get watered down as it loses value to them. However, one or two oddities make it interesting and we are understanding of how this worked out for you with your brother and SIL not being able to make it. See you there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.