Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the engine bay it says to find the transfer case breather and the AT transmission breather ( i have an 08 auto )

I could not find either in the described place but looked down in front of me and found 2 breathers attached next to the engine, i think the owner before me already relocated them up high.

I detached the second one in the pic so i could see where it went but i could not trace either wire to where the description of it was.

Can anyone show me where both the transfer case breather is and the AT transmission breather are.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
08-09 models have the transfer case breathers on the passenger side behind the engine...directly above the transmission...mounts with a clip similar to what you show there. The AT breather is a 1/4" diameter metal tube on those model years and mounts to the driverside of the back of the engine.

07 models I belive have both the AT & Transfer case breathers connected to the same clip you show there and they are both the same style spring and cap breather (one is plastic though - 1/4" i think).

10/11 models have 3 breathers - Toyota originally used a Y to connect two off the transfer case for 07-09 years...they now run seperate breathers for the transfer case. If I recall all three breathers are hooked up to the same clip...sorry, been awhile since i've done a 10/11 to picture it off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
On an 07-09 (looking down behind engine onto transmission)

Auto Transmission breather (07 model is rectangle, but the arrow points to the 08-09 version - don't recall off the top of my head how the 10/11 looked, but I think it was the same as the 08-09)

TC breather for 07-09 (only difference in 10/11 is part number 36407a is no longer used and they run two seperate lines)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone used a fuel filter for a vent? I have a 2010 and was thinking about extending the transfer case and tranny vent to under the plastic cover on top of the engine and venting them with a fuel filter (either aotomotive or an in-tank filter from a small engine like a weedeater or leaf blower). What are the 2 vents on the driver side fender well midway between the front and rear of the engine compartment? I assume one vents the front diff but what about the second? Any suggestions or answers appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts