Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My scuba mod is the same as other on here except for the rear axle. All parts can be purchased at ACE Hardware.

For the e locker, a buddy rebuilt it for me because it was full of water. After the rebuild, we have no idea why this stupid thing is vented. There isn't any fluid or anything that will create pressure inside. It does not open up to the diff. Therefore, just like similar Ford motors, I decided to cap this thing off. You will see the cap used below.

The vents on the rear axle are the most exposed, therfore they warrant a little extra umph! The stainless steel braided dishwasher hose is an amazing solution and should be bomb proof.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
For the e locker, a buddy rebuilt it for me because it was full of water. After the rebuild, we have no idea why this stupid thing is vented. There isn't any fluid or anything that will create pressure inside. It does not open up to the diff. Therefore, just like similar Ford motors, I decided to cap this thing off. You will see the cap used below.
I'd suggest removing that cap you put on before the elocker goes. I don't understand your rational behind caping it, you say there is "no way for it to pressurize" and your Elocker is telling you otherwise (i.e. why it failed in the first place). The breather cap is a fail close setup and the system has to overpressurize to to enable air to escape or water to enter the elocker. Unless you pulled the breather out completely and were running an open tube there's no way that system could have filled with water unless the breather popped open (due to pressure) and allowed water to flow inside.

Heat causes air to expand generating pressure...thats why you have a breather on the elocker.

The only way a cap will work is if your elocker is operating in a vacuum.

Nice job on the dif though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you don't vent the housing the bearing seals at each wheel will be overstressed and will leak oil or suck in water.

Just route your hose into the cab as high up as it will go and let it vent. If you are worried about damp air getting in or venting oily smells, connect it to a largish plastic container, such as a 1 gal water container and seal that. It will expand and contract as the temperature in the housing changes but will not allow outside air in or housing fumes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts