Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. Just purchased a 07 fj cruiser. I will customizing the vehicle to respond to rescues. Looking for for lights, led lights, winch, anything anyone is willing to donate for my project. If free is a bit cheap I'm willing to purchase also. Just wanted to post in as many locations as I could. Thanks

·
Desert Moderator
5,627 Posts
If you're buying LED lights, go Chinese - best bang for your buck.
If you're buying compressors, buy ARB or Viaire - anything else is like burning $$$ (I now have an ARB after 4 x dead cheap compressors)
Hilift (& acessories, esp offroad base & lift mate), shovel & MaxTrax: self-recovery essentials

Good luck with getting everything together!
Do you have a wish list?

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
(snip) "I will customizing the vehicle to respond to rescues."
Exactly what type of "rescues" will you be "responding" to?

Will you be actually be performing or aiding in rescues, in some officially-sanctioned capacity, as an adjunct to your local Law Enforcement, Fire Department, or Search & Rescue organizations?

Or is this simply a form of on-line panhandling, hoping that someone will send you free goodies based on your use of the word "rescues"?

Please clarify what type of "rescues" you are talking about, and who or what will be "rescued", so none of us get the wrong impression ...

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Exactly what type of "rescues" will you be "responding" to?

Will you be actually be performing or aiding in rescues, in some officially-sanctioned capacity, as an adjunct to your local Law Enforcement, Fire Department, or Search & Rescue organizations?

Or is this simply a form of on-line panhandling, hoping that someone will send you free goodies based on your use of the word "rescues"?

Please clarify what type of "rescues" you are talking about, and who or what will be "rescued", so none of us get the wrong impression ...
^^This^^

What type of LE/Emergency responder organization are you part of? We need proof of credentials before you can be considered a so-called non-profit do-gooder. No offense if you are, but your original post made it sound like you were looking for a handout for cool mods without any ground to stand on. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am part of the sheriff's office SAR unit. I specialize in man tracking. And I also teach sar/le/military across the country. As for credentials, aside from putting my personal call sign or sheriff's ID I don't know how to prove that without violating our bylaws. As for hand outs, not my intentions. I am planning on modifying my vehicle out-of my own pocket. Figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone did have extra parts that they didn't need but didn't find the time to post in give away section. I see that some people in this forum are super judgemental. I'll be sure to be careful how I word things in the future.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I am part of the sheriff's office SAR unit. I specialize in man tracking. And I also teach sar/le/military across the country. As for credentials, aside from putting my personal call sign or sheriff's ID I don't know how to prove that without violating our bylaws. As for hand outs, not my intentions. I am planning on modifying my vehicle out-of my own pocket. Figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone did have extra parts that they didn't need but didn't find the time to post in give away section. I see that some people in this forum are super judgemental. I'll be sure to be careful how I word things in the future.
Don't take it personal. People on here are leery and watch out for things because people have been burned by others. This place is like a big family once you get to know others. There are people that give parts away, help with maintenance or mod installs, etc. all of the time. It's just when someone joins and no one knows them and first thing they ask for free stuff, it makes people wonder if they are legit or a scammer, especially when it's for big stuff.

There is also a thread in the General Section called "Pay it Forward" where people give stuff away to others if they have something to give away too. I haven't seen it pop up for awhile, but it does now and then.

Stick around and read all the info that's here. Just about anything and everything you'd want to know about the FJ is posted here somewhere. Check out the specific sections such as Wheels and Tires for info on just that certain equipment. If you can't find it then ask and someone will help.

Check the Classified Section too as you can find a lot of different parts like bumpers, winches, roof racks, etc. for a lot less than new. You can also watch the Vendors Sections as they run specials and some also have discounts for forum members too. There's also a section for group buys that can save you lots of money on things. Right now there are several specials and deals going on from different vendors because of the FJ Summit and Summer Sales.

I can't remember the exact threads or the member's names anymore, but there are at least a few threads where people have added some Search & Rescue or Police type stuff to their FJs. One member did mods on Police and other vehicles for a living and posted up stuff. You might get some ideas from those threads to help you out.

Good luck.

Oh and it might help to put where you are from too as some don't want to deal with shipping so they only post to the regional sections.

·
Vendor
1,370 Posts

Yep, thread got off to a rough start. You technically did post your request in the correct place which means you read and looked before you posted which is actually a credit as most new folks don't. For that the welcome could be warmer, but Big Guy is right. Come in a little softer, get to know some people, share some pics and tell us about yourself. I think if you would have just said you needed a bumper wing or single OEM rim due to fender bender this would have went much differently.

Perhaps there should even be a sticky in the wanted for free section stating some suggestions like what has been said before someone gets tossed to the crowd. It is like a family, some folks have been here a long long long time.

Best of luck on the project.:blueblob:

·
A-Team Moderator
7,979 Posts
Don't mind them, you don't owe them any proof. I have yet to see one professional credential from any of them for all the "professional expertise" they spew, especially regarding brakes and driving skills. :rofl:

5150Cruiser is the forum member BIGGUY was referring to as an emergency vehicle eq. installer out of the SF Bay area. Look up some of his posts/photo's for ideas.

I love what SirenNet did to the FJ in the youtube video that I posted above. I look forward to seeing how your FJ progresses. :cheers:

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
Springtail Solutions is a great company (and a local vendor here) that has lots of organizational stuff specifically for the FJ

FJ Cruiser

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't take it personal. People on here are leery and watch out for things because people have been burned by others. This place is like a big family once you get to know others. There are people that give parts away, help with maintenance or mod installs, etc. all of the time. It's just when someone joins and no one knows them and first thing they ask for free stuff, it makes people wonder if they are legit or a scammer, especially when it's for big stuff.

There is also a thread in the General Section called "Pay it Forward" where people give stuff away to others if they have something to give away too. I haven't seen it pop up for awhile, but it does now and then.

Stick around and read all the info that's here. Just about anything and everything you'd want to know about the FJ is posted here somewhere. Check out the specific sections such as Wheels and Tires for info on just that certain equipment. If you can't find it then ask and someone will help.

Check the Classified Section too as you can find a lot of different parts like bumpers, winches, roof racks, etc. for a lot less than new. You can also watch the Vendors Sections as they run specials and some also have discounts for forum members too. There's also a section for group buys that can save you lots of money on things. Right now there are several specials and deals going on from different vendors because of the FJ Summit and Summer Sales.

I can't remember the exact threads or the member's names anymore, but there are at least a few threads where people have added some Search & Rescue or Police type stuff to their FJs. One member did mods on Police and other vehicles for a living and posted up stuff. You might get some ideas from those threads to help you out.

Good luck.

Oh and it might help to put where you are from too as some don't want to deal with shipping so they only post to the regional sections.
I Completely understand. Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep my eyes open and see if anyone post in the section you suggested. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for the guy that customizes for law enforcement. I did post that I'm from Nevada in the new to community section. I don't take things personally, again I appreciate you taking the time to inform me with the information provided.

·
Admin
6,514 Posts
Learn the FJ, it's tricks and quirks and see what works best for your terrain.
@Vegas_Nick is a great guy and in the Nevada area... just sayin... drop him a line... get out and do some trails.

:cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can't wait to see how your FJ turns out. Keep us all updated Puh-Lease

1 - 19 of 19 Posts