Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:
I want to install a Dual Usb socket into the switch panel. Unfortunately, everything I have come across has a cheap glossy look. I would like one that looks like the rest of the OEM switches. Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
You could take one of the shiny ones and sand it down with some fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off. The other annoying thing is a lot of them have an LED that shines super bright. Again, you can cover that up too. I haven't found a non-shiny one. Please share with the group if you do source one though...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could take one of the shiny ones and sand it down with some fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off. The other annoying thing is a lot of them have an LED that shines super bright. Again, you can cover that up too. I haven't found a non-shiny one. Please share with the group if you do source one though...
Yes, the blinding LED is annoying. Although functional. I will definitely post if I find one. As for your suggestion FJQ, thank you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here’s what I did:
1 - carefully cover the USB symbols with kid’s Elmers glue & allow to dry (stay inside the lines for best results)
2 - paint with semigloss black rattle can paint & allow to dry
3 - peel away the Elmers glue to reveal the USB symbols
4 - Voilá. OEM look achieved 👍🏼

Dan

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Don't connect (or cut) the power wire for the LED.

Edit: Here's one that is not shiny. Bought it from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCZC933/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Sorry for the grainy pic.

These are the ones that I ordered for my rig. They are definitely a good match to a stock look. I ordered five of them to add in various places in the rig, and the vendor sent me three of the correct sockets, and two of the other more square Toyota style sockets. The vendor has ZERO customer service, and would not respond to my email communications. I returned them via Amazon's return system, and I'm waiting for the refund to my account.

The correct sockets work well, and the LEDs are about right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually just reluctantly installed one of those glossier ones from eBay about a month ago. To my surprise, with the LED light inside which is on day or night you really dont notice that it doesnt match. I'll post a pic so you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed one not too long ago and I love it. As said previous, you would think the light might be bothersome but I barely notice it. I actually like it. And honestly, given the generally darker interior, I can’t say that doesn’t look OEM. I’m really happy with it! Hope you find your perfect fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the same one as Pirateslady above...not quite factory, but fits like factory, has worked fine, and the lights add a bit of brightness to cab.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a dual amber colored one coming from Chi-town 4x4. They do a lot of push switches for Toyotas and are supposed to look stock. I'll post up a pic when it gets here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you to everyone that has replied. To those of you that have that Amazon one, from what I see in the product description, this only provides charge correct? I was looking for one that does data since I plan on connecting it to the 2 USB ports on the back of my stereo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought 2 MICTUNING USB Car Charger with Audio for Toyota from Amazon. One side is a charger and the other is a USB port. I combined the two USB ports into one and it works well. The USB ports also charge the phone. I also spray painted it matte black to better match the other buttons. Since this is my first post I'm not allowed to add a link.

20191213_152512.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you to everyone that has replied. To those of you that have that Amazon one, from what I see in the product description, this only provides charge correct? I was looking for one that does data since I plan on connecting it to the 2 USB ports on the back of my stereo.
If you're planning to connect the USB to the back of your new head unit, you should co sider this...

Metra AX-USB-35EXT 3.5mm iPod to... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2SF64E?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It is basically a USB/AUX extension cable that fits exactly there the factory aux sits, just below the 12v power outlet. I added it to my rig and it works perfectly, both hook ups.
20191218_091937.jpg
20191218_091937.jpg
20191218_091928.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts