Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I had mine done last week . tech cleaned out all the shavings , put primer on the holes he drilled , couldn't be happier , even cleaned out all the dog hair from inside the door ( siberian huskie , lots of hair ).
Redboat

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dropped mine off this morning. They just called me saying it was done and they will NOT replace the broken seat belt retractor as part of the warranty, wtf! They also called AFTER they were done with the recall to tell me it's not covered so I have to pay for the seat belt unit AND for them to take the whole thing apart again!

Really not happy at all right now.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
BltByKrmn, How much do they want to replace the selt belt retractor? When you say "broken" do you mean you have to feed the belt back into the slot? Mine is like that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BltByKrmn, How much do they want to replace the selt belt retractor? When you say "broken" do you mean you have to feed the belt back into the slot? Mine is like that.
The retractor no longer retracts, I've tried to feed it back in and that doesn't work either. The belt is out all the way and is now useless.

$149 for the retractor/belt and then $287 for installation. I said that was ridiculous since they had the whole door apart, why do I have to pay full book on installation, so they "did me a favor" and offered to drop it to the hour overlap of the 2 jobs which is $115. There shouldn't be ANY labor cost since the unit had to come out when they did the recall work.

I've spoken to Toyota and the dealer and none of them can tell me why a broken retractor wouldn't be covered under a recall that says certain retractors would be covered. It also baffles me as to why a 6 year old truck with only 51k miles on it would have a seat belt unit fail; then on top of that not replace it at no charge to the customer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The retractor no longer retracts, I've tried to feed it back in and that doesn't work either. The belt is out all the way and is now useless.

$149 for the retractor/belt and then $287 for installation. I said that was ridiculous since they had the whole door apart, why do I have to pay full book on installation, so they "did me a favor" and offered to drop it to the hour overlap of the 2 jobs which is $115. There shouldn't be ANY labor cost since the unit had to come out when they did the recall work.

I've spoken to Toyota and the dealer and none of them can tell me why a broken retractor wouldn't be covered under a recall that says certain retractors would be covered. It also baffles me as to why a 6 year old truck with only 51k miles on it would have a seat belt unit fail; then on top of that not replace it at no charge to the customer.
that is VERY odd. we will ALWAYS warranty/goodwill a seatbelt. I would have told them to get lost and tried another dealership.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,941 Posts
So how is this recall done and what holes are they drilling??? I still have not had a chance to get this recall done.
Here's a link with some photos after it was done. There is another thread somewhere that has pictures of before and after and the parts too. Basically they drill a couple of holes in the mounting plate for the seat belt assembly and then add a small plate to it to reinforce things. The stock one is only held by one bolt/rivet and the fix is to add extra to stop flex.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/167447-seat-belt-recall-pics.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our FJ was in last week for 4 days to get back up camera fixed. Service offered us seat belt fix and I declined due to the amount of time required.
Next day on way to ski aera our 11 yr old spins around and gets shoulder belt wraped around his middle on right rear seat. It got tighter and tighter untill I had to cut him out. Each time I lifted him shoulder belt tensioner sucked up the slack and locked!!! Glad I had my knife. Glad it was not around neck. He has nice brusing and a story to tell.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just went to the dealer to get my oil changed and specifically told them not to mess with the seatbelts. What did they do? Went ahead and performed the recall. Now my rear driver door sounds like a loose empty can is rolling around in it.

I called them back and had to leave a message. They are supposed to be calling my back within 30 minutes to remedy the problem. I have a afeeling this is going to turn into a big ordeal.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: safety belts

It gets better. I crawled underneath when I got home to make sure they at least changed the oil right. Negative. I have 4 billet spacers to fit my skids around my diff drop. Not only did they not reinstall them correctly, they threw them on top of my skid plates and crank the plate down against the front diff.

They are coming to pick the truck up from me at work tomorrow and leave me a loaner car. Then they said they are going to do a full detail on the truck including wax, refill it with fuel, and redeliver it to me. At least they are trying to make it right. Oh and they are not charging me for the oil change today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
35,941 Posts
Good luck and I hope they set things right for you. I was getting ready to leave with family on a vacation several years ago and stopped at a local place to get a quick oil change. I headed home and stopped to get gas and when coming back to my pickup I noticed something didn't look right. They took the skid plate off and never put it back. The shop was in the next town and it was just before closing and they wouldn't wait and put it back that night so I had to go back the next morning. They had already lost a couple of the bolts and we had to use some different ones that I had. It ended up making us leave about 3-4 hours by the time they opened and fixed it. It sucked. I was pissed because you didn't even need to remove the skid as you could reach right up behind it with no problem.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Yeah. I have always done all my own maintenance. In was just in a rush today with work and I'm busy all weekend and was already overdue. I learned my lesson though.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Pictures of said bad work.

Example 1, spacers laying of top of diff skid:
1383783839593.jpg
1383783882453.jpg
Example 2, incorrect over radiator skid:
1383783937365.jpg
Where it's supposed to be:
1383783965335.jpg bolt is not yet tightened down in this pic.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

It gets better. I crawled underneath when I got home to make sure they at least changed the oil right. Negative. I have 4 billet spacers to fit my skids around my diff drop. Not only did they not reinstall them correctly, they threw them on top of my skid plates and crank the plate down against the front diff.

They are coming to pick the truck up from me at work tomorrow and leave me a loaner car. Then they said they are going to do a full detail on the truck including wax, refill it with fuel, and redeliver it to me. At least they are trying to make it right. Oh and they are not charging me for the oil change today.

Are you sure you want to give them a second chance? Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Are you sure you want to give them a second chance? Hope it all works out for you.
Don't really have a choice on the seatbelt issue. As far as the skids, I have already corrected the issue myself this evening. They have been instructed not to touch them again. Quote from the manager, "This is surprising, he is one of our best techs." I'd hate to see their worst!

·
Registered
920 Posts

And for the record I asked them if they could just give me the parts for the rear door and I'll correct it myself, but legally they can't since it's a "safety" recall.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

And for the record I asked them if they could just give me the parts for the rear door and I'll correct it myself, but legally they can't since it's a "safety" recall.

That would be my choice also. I still haven't gone back for the recall. I hoping it will never become a issue since I don't slam my doors. I never read of anyone here saying they found cracks when they took it back.

·
Registered
920 Posts

The dealer just returned my truck. They fixed the door, left metal shavings in it rattling. Also, detailed inside and out including the engine and wax. Also, had a full tank of gas. That was all for my troubles with the skid plates.

I'm glad they made it right but it shouldn't have come to this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone had the fix done? WIll it change the look of the rear doors at all? I'm all for safety, but really do not want to have huge brackets or reinforcements bolted to the inside of my doors.

241 - 260 of 296 Posts