Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side seat belt does not retract itself. This usually means it is left hanging out the door when I get out unless I hand feed it back in. Has anyone else experienced this, and any advice on a self fix? Or do I need to trek to the dealer? (90 miles away) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I had one break too. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Is it 'hanging' up ie, twisted-then once straightened, it works ok?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am past warranty. It hangs up straight or not, although it goes back in easier if I straighten it. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
60k 5yr for seatbelt warranty.... I had my wife's fixed last year w/ 48k and 4yrs....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did this during Winter, but I live in a cold weather area. Whatever grease was used in the pulley assembly was congealing in the cold. I sprayed some WD40 in there and the problem went away.

My drivers side seat belt does not retract itself. This usually means it is left hanging out the door when I get out unless I hand feed it back in. Has anyone else experienced this, and any advice on a self fix? Or do I need to trek to the dealer? (90 miles away) Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
going through it now.. Warranty long gone.. but i really think a seatbelt should be covered no matter what.. My passenger's side has failed, the clock spring inside is badly rusted and has broken. there is no other rusted, wet or even stained parts anywhere else in the door.. bummer..
need to order a retractor from the dealer.. 2 hundred and something dollars..

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I think many dealership will fix seat belts under "lifetime" warranty. It's a liability issue for them (bad press) if one fails. I've not taken one into a dealer in a long while, but I had it done for free once on a used Honda Civic at a Honda dealer that had no previous relationship with the car.

After reading the above post, my tactic would be to haggle/negotiate with them - over the safety issue vs. bad press.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue. I was trying to oil my clock spring to hope to get the seat belt to retract. But, before I knew it the copper clock spring came flying out and it was in 5 different pieces. It was pure corrosion.
Now, I am not sure if there is an aftermarket fix. I am interested in what I need to say to the dealer to get this replaced. I am a 2008 FJ with 120K. So, my opinion on this should be replaced under lifetime is very much open since I do not want to get raped by the cost of the part.
a Stainless steel clockspring would have been cheaper and less likely to fail.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue. I was trying to oil my clock spring to hope to get the seat belt to retract. But, before I knew it the copper clock spring came flying out and it was in 5 different pieces. It was pure corrosion.
Now, I am not sure if there is an aftermarket fix. I am interested in what I need to say to the dealer to get this replaced. I am a 2008 FJ with 120K. So, my opinion on this should be replaced under lifetime is very much open since I do not want to get raped by the cost of the part.
a Stainless steel clockspring would have been cheaper and less likely to fail.
I have the same issue on an 2007 model. I ordered a new one from "stealership" and am now looking for instructions to replace. Anyone have a forum for this? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I am past warranty. It hangs up straight or not, although it goes back in easier if I straighten it. Thanks.

There is a little known federal law that requires auto manufacturers to repair at no cost any safety equipment. At one time it even included smog control equipment. Sorry, no links... just an old guys memory.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I replaced my passenger side due to corrosion a while ago. I ended up purchasing a used one off of ebay but found out there are companies out there that actually can put in a new coil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts